Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jgil089
  • 1 Post By jgil089

17.5T blinky - ESC/motor combo for 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:54 AM
Tech Regular

Default 17.5T blinky - ESC/motor combo for 4wd

So my Kyosho Lazer is well behaved but lacking speed, mostly due to the Trackstar ESC/motor combo. Others at my club upgraded over the christmas break and are now a heap faster.

I have narrowed it down to 3 combos. The Maclan Pico & Team Edition v2, Orca B32 & Blitreme 17.5t or Muchmore Euro v2 & fleta v2 (I think this is the latest).

These are all a similar price and performance is apparently similar. I'm leaning towards the Orca as its the newest, with Maclan 2nd and Muchmore 3rd, but I'm struggling to find people locally who have run any of them (except the fastest guy at the club has the Maclan).

Anyone here have any experience with them, comments, advice etc? Being in New Zealand means some stuff is hard to get down here but will look at anything, as long as its fast and reliable (I want this to last me a year or 2, as I have 3 other cars which will need upgrades etc too!)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Orca is good if you can find it. They are all good choices. Whatever looks the best I run team powers but my guess is it will be hard to get over there. +1 for Lazer
Old 04-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I would avoid anything in short supply where you are...... I use Hobbywing stuff and really like it.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies. We are lucky to have an Orca distributor here so it will be through a small supplier who has a contract with the Orca distributor which means warranty support too. The Muchmore gear is also from a local shop and thats the only high end electronics he deals in. Maclan would come from Amain, I've always found their service really good.

Its looking like Orca is the way to go
Old 04-24-2018, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgil089
Thanks for the replies. We are lucky to have an Orca distributor here so it will be through a small supplier who has a contract with the Orca distributor which means warranty support too. The Muchmore gear is also from a local shop and thats the only high end electronics he deals in. Maclan would come from Amain, I've always found their service really good.

Its looking like Orca is the way to go
I think you'll be happy with the ORCA combo I have both the Maclan Pico/v2 TE combo and the ORCA b32/Blitreme combo and youre not giving up anything by going with the ORCA theyre both great but the ORCA is lighter and in my opinion has better solder tabs which makes it easier to wire up. You won't even need a fan on it!
Old 04-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EbbTide
I think you'll be happy with the ORCA combo I have both the Maclan Pico/v2 TE combo and the ORCA b32/Blitreme combo and youre not giving up anything by going with the ORCA theyre both great but the ORCA is lighter and in my opinion has better solder tabs which makes it easier to wire up. You won't even need a fan on it!
Thanks thats good to know that they're very close in performance especially since you've run both yourself rather than up against someone else with one. Thats all I can ask, I just need it to not leave at a disadvantage , the fast guy with the Maclan will still beat me this season but this will help,close the gap.
EbbTide likes this.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

HOBBYWING.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

What Hobbywing models in particular? From what I can see they offer entry level through to high end, which is comparable to the blinky spec? And are their motors as good as the others?
Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

What Hobbywing models in particular? From what I can see they offer entry level through to high end, which is comparable to the blinky spec? And are their motors as good as the others?
Xr10 pro stock spec esc and reedy s plus motor lightweight esc and high rev motor for 17.5 wegith and rpm matters.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry about going HW unless it is more available than ORCA in your area. None of their spec ESC's are lighter or better than the ORCA b32, and their motors don't hold a candle to the Blitreme in my opinion. You're good to go
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Hobbywing is pretty common down here, I don't know if people are buying it from RCMart or Amain etc, or if they are all supplied locally. I'm in a city of 1.5m people and there are about 4 hobby shops here, so local is definitely hit and miss. I have heard of reedy but never seen it down here, so that would have to be Amain.

I will go with Orca, price and performance are as good as the others, if not better, but the vendor is a new guy starting out (old racer, new vendor) so I would like to support him

Thanks for all the replies
EbbTide likes this.