Wiki Posts
Search

Tuned Pipe Damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Tuned Pipe Damage

I recently damaged my Rd logics turbo 2 and 3 pipes and I was wondering if denting the pipes noticeably affects their performance. I had used the freezer method to take some of the dents out, but their were a couple that wouldn't completely come out. Pipes are expensive so i don't want to just settle with buying a new one.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

it happens to everyone just life in nitro tourers.
im not to sure about how much dents affect the performance but i am sure that it does only if it is demaged in side the pipe. Im sure that little dents outside the pipe doesnt affect it.

I don't think you will see a noticable diffrence anyway.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Its a pain to see. Im suprised you even bent the III. CVEC makes a sturdy pipe. I would give them a try. Reason why I got mine. Got tired of rebending pipes.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

The turbo 3 stood its ground as far as durability goes, but I took a hard hit which backed it into my pully. The dent looks painfully ugly, but if I look within the pipe, there's no damage. So it's basically a superficial dent, which I was able to partially push out using the freezer method. The stinger reinforcement withstood the hit. I just thought that any dent to the pipes meant a totally ruined pipe. Is the outer shape of the pipe an important factor in tuning, or is more of the inner portion of the pipe?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh so the turboIII stinger is still in good shape then? Did it cave inward on the pipe with a dent along with it?

Since the air is traveling on the inside of the pipe its where it matters. Outside is just outside. But If there is a dent outside It definently means the inside has a dent.

The outside it will look worse and the inside it wont look as bad but its there. How much it effect performance. Not sure.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

as long didn't hit the inner 'core', basically it don't affect the performance after all
Old 03-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Smile

Ya, so the inside core does not appear to be damaged. I thoroughly looked over with one of those instruments doctors use to examine inner ears with. I'm so addicted to this hobby that any thing that will slow me down (like a dented pipe) will just ruin my days until I resolve it. Thanks everyone for the information. My anxiety is at ease now. By the way, i searched various websites forever, and still couldn't find information addressing this issue.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

it dosnt matter as much but it looks ugly
Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

so far so good with my turbo II, but someone who i consider a reliable source said that I may have to worry if the dent occurs towared the end of the pipe becausee that is where the second chamber is at. I haven't noticed any differenc though. Also, if the the length and the shape/size determine the pipe's tune, then freeziing it to pop the dents out may change the tune because the overall pipe becomes expanded when doing this procedure. Just my 2 cents though. can anyone tell me the difference between the skyline vr12 and the rdlogics turbo 2? I'm using the novarossi N12LL3 engine with 20%fuel, which runs at a temp of 200.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blanks596
so far so good with my turbo II, but someone who i consider a reliable source said that I may have to worry if the dent occurs towared the end of the pipe becausee that is where the second chamber is at. I haven't noticed any differenc though. Also, if the the length and the shape/size determine the pipe's tune, then freeziing it to pop the dents out may change the tune because the overall pipe becomes expanded when doing this procedure. Just my 2 cents though. can anyone tell me the difference between the skyline vr12 and the rdlogics turbo 2? I'm using the novarossi N12LL3 engine with 20%fuel, which runs at a temp of 200.
I've had both pipes, Turbo II is a good but VR12 is better because it is more durable doesn't dent easy.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Tech Adept

Dents suck i dont think my $250 Kyosho pipe has any performance left.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok so has anyone used the Vantage carbon fiber pipe? Just wondering on performance and I saw a demo a while back when they bashed an aluminum pipe with their own. Anyone ever use these? Otherwise it's the VR12 for me.