Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine for Truggy? What's best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I'm not a pro so maybe I do not push as hard but in my truggy I am getting 12+ on a tank. temps are about 230 with the smallest restictor and I have not modified my tank in any way from the way it come from the factory, and it was 90* temp last weekend running a Orion US Spec. One other factor in run times is the track I do run on a small track so I'm not at full pull for very long, so that really helps the run times, but I also TQ'd and won last weekend with this set up.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This thread should be titled
"Best engine thread v.2915" or something like that.

The engine that needs to be discussed in this thread is the "SEARCH ENGINE."
Old 07-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DOMIT
This thread should be titled
"Best engine thread v.2915" or something like that.

The engine that needs to be discussed in this thread is the "SEARCH ENGINE."
Old 07-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Before I suggested an engine for you. I would want to know what type of skill level you are at. Any of the engines mentioned will power that Truggy with no problems. However, If your skill set cant handle the power and speed of a C6, ninja, Nova FMS or Nero. Then you just blew a bunch of money developing your skill set.

Beginner to intermediate: in no particular order NOVA bf, RB S3 & S5, GO 3P & 5P Picco EVO 2 or 3 and Jammin JPX are reasonably price can handle a Truggy with ease. They will allow you to develop a good skill set and still be very competitive.

intermediate to advanced: in no particular order OS Vspec & speed, Ninja, RB WS7 & C6, NOVA .21 FMS & Toro Clock Work Picco and Jammin JPX These engines are pricey Torque heavy and Top speed demons. They are NOT!!! For the beginner they will be wild and uncontrollable in a beginners hands. You will spend more time spinning wheels and spinning out and break dancing on your top. Than you will actually spend making your way around the track and maintaining a good line with wheels down. Which will by far make you a faster better racer than having a beast of an engine.

ALL of the above engines are good engines. However just like the Truggy you choose the engine should fit your style of driving and skill set.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverM3
Sorry to say this. I don't like RB. I had a lot of tuning issues with it.

I like OS and NovaRossi. OS VZB is always nice, but NovaRossi toro Nero is just simply amazing.
You want amazing try a Pro Twister Mod Toro Nero, knock your socks off power and I get better run times than a stock Plus 21-4. Leaps and bounds the best motor I have ever run.

Mike
Old 07-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what about a fully modded extech .21? No love for that motor? I am trying to deciede between a vspec pro mod, ninja, extech full modded, nova toro nero I just cant deciede. In the end i feel most comfortable buying the vspec pro mod or just a vspec. But the extech really looks interesting. I just have never seen one run.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

vladcoonery

you said it perfect I read all of these engine thread and love that people just start listing the best motor on the market but people dont really think or ask where there skill level is you can put the fastest motor in the world in the best buggy but if you cant drive your going to get beat by an old out dated car and a cheap motor. just my 2 cent
Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just my oppinion, but anyone getting 12+ mins to a tank even with the insert pulled out just isnt pushing it hard enough. I don't even come close to getting any kind of time like that. not to say that im the greatest driver either, but i maybe get like 8 to 8 1/2 mins in truggy and buggy.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark K
Just my oppinion, but anyone getting 12+ mins to a tank even with the insert pulled out just isnt pushing it hard enough. I don't even come close to getting any kind of time like that. not to say that im the greatest driver either, but i maybe get like 8 to 8 1/2 mins in truggy and buggy.
10+ minute runtimes are getting to be pretty standard these days. I can easily make 10 minutes. I usually still pit at 7 1/2 to 8 min mark, but can do 10. To comfortably pit at 10 min all the time I would want to be able to make 12 easily. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

To the comment of driving style and skill set, I disagree partly. Its not about skill set or driving style - if you are new to the hobby you dont know what those are yet.

Have seen new guys come in to the hobby having LHS sell them cheap underpowered engines that dont last - is mid blowing. I think OS vspec - Ninja - RB C6 - nova +4 are GOOD solid engines for any one. If you have the nack for this hobby and want to improve - it makes no sense in buyin a cheap small engine. I rather them get one of the engines above, learn how to drive with that, instead of a cheaper 200 engine and have to buy a new engine in a month.

Now I agree with Modded engines and HIGH end engines such as the SPEED is not where a beginner want to start. But I see no problem with a good all around engine, OS vspec or Ninja - not pipe sensitive and have enought power to learn to drive and compete
Old 07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
To the comment of driving style and skill set, I disagree partly. Its not about skill set or driving style - if you are new to the hobby you dont know what those are yet.

Have seen new guys come in to the hobby having LHS sell them cheap underpowered engines that dont last - is mid blowing. I think OS vspec - Ninja - RB C6 - nova +4 are GOOD solid engines for any one. If you have the nack for this hobby and want to improve - it makes no sense in buyin a cheap small engine. I rather them get one of the engines above, learn how to drive with that, instead of a cheaper 200 engine and have to buy a new engine in a month.

Now I agree with Modded engines and HIGH end engines such as the SPEED is not where a beginner want to start. But I see no problem with a good all around engine, OS vspec or Ninja - not pipe sensitive and have enought power to learn to drive and compete
+1 I agree. It actually teaches you a LOT learinig how to use throttle control. You can use carb inserts and radio setings to tame an engine down, but you can't go the other way with an engine. Now if you are on a tight budget, that's another story. Engines such as the nova n21b are great budget engines, but if you can afford it go with one of the above engines.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
what about a fully modded extech .21? No love for that motor? I am trying to deciede between a vspec pro mod, ninja, extech full modded, nova toro nero I just cant deciede. In the end i feel most comfortable buying the vspec pro mod or just a vspec. But the extech really looks interesting. I just have never seen one run.
You will not be disappointed with the ExTech line of engines. I run the .21 and .24 race prep engines and both engines get great fuel economy and have a ton of power.
.21 in buggy with an Extech 2013
.24 in truggy with an ExTech 2057
Old 07-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

These engines provide more than enough power for a Truggy. In no particular order NOVA bf, RB S3 & S5, GO 3P & 5P Picco EVO 2 or 3 and Jammin JPX. Even with these engines you still have to practice throttle control. The great thing about all of the above the most expensive is around $220. As the average track is short and technical. Top end will not be an issue. All of the above can get out of a turn quite easy or propel you across any triple.

When you get to the point you can sling the above around a track with ease. Which should be about the time they would need to be replaced (8 gal.). You will have acquired the track time and knowledge to upgrade to a more expensive ($300-$500) more powerful engine. In no particular order OS Vspec & speed, Ninja, RB WS7 & C6, NOVA .21 FMS & Toro Clock Work Picco, Jammin JPX.

However to each his own. I just get tired of everyone jumping on the you need this or that engine. This or that engine is not of quality. Most engines are quality if you take care of them and treat them correctly.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bcrazy
You will not be disappointed with the ExTech line of engines. I run the .21 and .24 race prep engines and both engines get great fuel economy and have a ton of power.
.21 in buggy with an Extech 2013
.24 in truggy with an ExTech 2057
If they are so good how come they never get mentioned as one of the best race engines?? It's always ninja, vpec, nova, grp etc. Everyone who has a extech swears by them, and i want to buy one just not sure. They just don't seam to get the pub that the others do. I know that doesn't mean squat, but it does make me wonder. i think this is what i am going to end up with. Will the dynamite 086 pipe work with it?