Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

8.3.1.6.2 Li-poly battiers may be charged to a maximum of 8.40 volts +/- 0.04V.

why not calibrate the best and most accurate charger to charge to the highest allowable voltage of 8.44 volts?

http://roarracing.org/downloads/2008_ROAR_Rule_Book.pdf
Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you don't own a GFX and you want or think you must charge at 7.44 then get an LRP charger as you can calibrate it yourself. I'm sure CE is doing this as some have told them that the LRP can be calibrated. What if your charger only goes to 7.36 as it's not calibrated well ? There needs to a be a rule and we have to be at the voltage.

If your the type of racer who cares about .02 in voltage you should consider hardwiring your pack and using the shortest possible wires as that will increase the average voltage by .04 and drop the resistance by 1 milliohm.
Attached Thumbnails SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2-500028cnoconnector.jpg  
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

according to: http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/ultra_plug.html

Ultra Plug

The industry standard in high performance connectors. Rated number one by R/C Car Action, The Ultra Plug actually has less resistance, including the solder joints, than an equivalent length piece of 12 gauge wire.

I've always wondered why wires weren't made of deans plugs?

(i know that's probably not true but they claim it.)
Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Fastforward
Adam-
A couple of the hard-core sedan guys have finally made the switch to LiPo at Fastlane and they are noticeably faster. Not sure what they are doing but the class is about dead because others don't want to do funny stuff to their batteries. .
Originally Posted by Fastforward
I would be more than happy to recommend some battery pre race tech inspection if you would like to suggest something. How should this test be performed?

I saw your earlier post that suggested not letting anyone run batteries that are more that 10 degrees F over ambient. How could we check for overcharging?

Thanks
I hope I don't come off arrogant here, but I can only assume i'm one of those hard core guys. I'm not sure exactly what funny stuff you think we are doing to our batteries, but we are charging our batteries in complete compliance to the rules. You are more than welcome to tech any aspect of my car if need be..

We charge at 2 c "with" the use of the GFX voltage leads. I've charged this way at IIC-Vegas, Halloween Classic - gate, and the Hurricane Race - RC Performance this year. I have not once came to tech with an over charged battery (it actually comes home at 8.36 to 8.37 90% of the time). I don't even heat my "one" lipo pack (smc 5000, which was bought used from Adam?).

I will move my charger to the middle of the pits and charge at 1 c to make everyone happy. Granted I don't think 4 tenths of a second difference a lap is my $500 loaner charger (that didn't cost 500) though.. It might be in the setup and driving though... I have nothing to hide from anyone.. Come up and ask me next time.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Company Representative

When you direct solder you eliminate the connectors and remove solder connection points.

I'm not saying direct solder is a must but if your the type of racer who is worried about .02 in voltage by charging at 8.44 volts you should consider direct solder as that will give you another .04 in voltage.

We get asked all the time why we don't use inboard tube connectors and reducing solder points is one of them. So you can direct solder with our packs.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Direct soldering a lipo? now theres a fire waiting to happen!
Asthetics man,,, I'm begging you .
Old 11-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Asthetics??? what the $%#$ does it matter what it looks like, as long as its the best product at a reasonalbe cost i would buy it if it was pink and yellow pokeadooted unicorn with deans plug coming out the horn
Old 11-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Why would direct soldering a Lipo be more of a fire hazard than direct soldering a sub-c pack which is what most racers do ?

As far as looks go you maybe happy in the future as were planning on releasing a pack for the EFRA Lipo specs.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Universal connectivity. Simple and perfect. Looks make a difference. If it didn't , I wouldn't be taking such a shilacking for suggesting a fiberglass top deck on a 416we!
Dirrect soldering one of your lipos ... cut the deans off and solder to the speedo? where are you slodering to the wires? that looks even worse. and your wires will get all heavy with wicked up solder.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

It's the precedent that concerns me. Willful overcharging of a battery seems like a bad idea.

There's no way I'd be inconvenienced to hardwire my batteries for that kind of voltage, and no way I'd buy an antique GFX that's 150x larger than other chargers for it, either. Anybody can inject a little extra juice in NiMH mode and monitor voltage with an external meter. It doesn't mean it should purposely be made easier, since all that does is encourage the practice.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just wanted to know if I could send my GFX back? I didn't mean to start a riot about the rules ROAR has already laid down.

John St.Amant my parents used to tell me....."if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all". Please show Danny/SMC and this thread some respect as they are here for customer support and to help guys out that use or are planning to use their product. The man knows a lot more about battery technology then you, as proven by your recent posts. So if you have something productive to add feel free...................

Casey
Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Nevermind
Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mojoman
I just wanted to know if I could send my GFX back? I didn't mean to start a riot about the rules ROAR has already laid down.

John St.Amant my parents used to tell me....."if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all". Please show Danny/SMC and this thread some respect as they are here for customer support and to help guys out that use or are planning to use their product. The man knows a lot more about battery technology then you, as proven by your recent posts. So if you have something productive to add feel free...................

Casey
My parents told me the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
My constitutional rights suggest that you are trying to recind them.
Furthermore no one seems to understand where I'm comming from!
I have stated several times that I have had smc packs and they are the fastest things I've owned. But no one seems to be reading my coments with open minds and have just proclaimed that my coments are negative.
Constructive criticism is all it is. I have strong beliefes and I know what I like! Notice I havnt told any one to shut up or that they are wrong ?
I allow everyone to have their own opinion weather its right or wrong.
Top loaded barrels ARE the way to go... period!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

And if your 8.44-version-CE some how go a bit off cal for whatever reason, and give you 8.45 end result... BYEBYE for the race...

This is JUST smart...
Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ttso
And if your 8.44-version-CE some how go a bit off cal for whatever reason, and give you 8.45 end result... BYEBYE for the race...

This is JUST smart...
It's a good thing the CE has a 35 amp discharge, 10 or 20sec should fix that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.