Search

Novice - Restoring a mistreated GS Racing Sonic 1/8 RTR

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Novice - Restoring a mistreated GS Racing Sonic 1/8 RTR

Hello,

I'm a college student living in Atlanta, Georgia, who bought a GS Racing Sonic 1/8 scale racer around 8 years ago. I was (and still am) too inexperienced to deal with it, and ended up probably messing up the break-in, assembling a steering and/or throttle servo incorrectly, and probably just not taking good care of it in general. I honestly cannot remember, as this was nearly a decade ago.

I'd like to give it another go now that I am a bit older (and hopefully more intelligent), but I am still very much a novice when it comes to servicing these vehicles.

I still have the remote control I bought for it (it even still powers on after all these years), the starter, the glow starter & battery (surely have to replace that), the glow plug (must be replaced I'm sure), some after-run oil and silicon oil for the filter.

I was wondering a few things:

1) Is this car even salvagable? If the engine may have been not broken in properly (I remember breaking it in, I just may have not done it 100% correctly), is it permanently useless, requiring me to buy another one? Even if it is not broken, wouldn't there be a lot of gunky residue inside of it from years of being relegated to the basement? Is there something I can use to get this gunk out?

2) If it is salvagable, is it worth the money to fix, and are there parts available for it? I have no spare parts for it right now, and some things on it are certainly broken, but nothing major as far as I recall.

3) Most importantly, is there a local store in or around Atlanta that specializes in RC cars that you guys would recommend? I would like to take it to them and have them look over it to give me some sort of estimate on what I need to do to get it back in shape, and if it even makes sense to try.

Thanks for any replies!

-Ian
Old 10-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

just my personal opinion and advise...
sell it as...and with those funds find a used mugen mrx4r or x roller.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks. If I remove the servos (I want to use them for another car) and ensure it runs properly, any idea what I would be able to sanely offer? I'd be hoping that even though it is an old fixer, I'd be able to get $70 or more off of it. Is this unreasonable? You seem to be an experienced trader, so I'm hoping you have some idea .

As is, the body is slightly damaged, and it is missing the manual. I have some spare parts for it, but I don't believe it's all that was initially provided.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

i have seen these sell on ebay from $90-175 depending on condition and state of readiness.
like i said i would sell it just the way it is and start from scratch,im sure the radio gear and servos you have are also outdated and should be upgraded when ready to fit into your newer 1/8 on-road roller or whatever you plan to stick them into.

also pics would help greatly us to see what your working with.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Here's some pictures.

What do you think :P?
Attached Thumbnails Novice - Restoring a mistreated GS Racing Sonic 1/8 RTR-picture-1.jpg   Novice - Restoring a mistreated GS Racing Sonic 1/8 RTR-picture-2.jpg   Novice - Restoring a mistreated GS Racing Sonic 1/8 RTR-picture-3.jpg   Novice - Restoring a mistreated GS Racing Sonic 1/8 RTR-picture-4.jpg   Novice - Restoring a mistreated GS Racing Sonic 1/8 RTR-picture-5.jpg