Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PERROTTO

12v or battery heat gun availability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 12v or battery heat gun availability?

Is there a 12v or a battery powered heat gun available anywhere? I've got a mains powered one but not really any good when i don't have a generator to run trackside to pre-heat a engine. Looking to get one as i've got a new engine on the way. Last time i run-in a engine it was up and down the street (for the first few tanks) and i had the heat gun by my side but running it in was extremely loud

Cheers, Chaz
Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

There are only 12V hairdryers but with only max 200W power (compared to 2000W for 120/230V versions) so you they will be useless for heating engine.

the only option is gas heat gun. i recenty found flameless gas gun that seems to be quite ok. Once i get it i will test it and give you out the details. just wait couple days till it gets here from UK.

gas soldering iron (with hot air attachment) is not powerfull enough to heat up the engine. got 80W one and no chance to heat up the engine
Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Battery Powered heat Gun

I saw your post for a 12V Heat gun. I invented a 48V heat Gun that is 300 watts and reached 800 degrees. It is used for soldering and shrink tubes. These tools are mainly used by the Areospace Industry to work in aircraft in the field. I am not sure it has a place in your market, but I thought I'ld introduce it to you anyway. It is an expensive tool.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Why not use a propane torch? It's not as elegant as a heat gun, but it's portable and will get the job done.

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
Is there a 12v or a battery powered heat gun available anywhere? I've got a mains powered one but not really any good when i don't have a generator to run trackside to pre-heat a engine. Looking to get one as i've got a new engine on the way. Last time i run-in a engine it was up and down the street (for the first few tanks) and i had the heat gun by my side but running it in was extremely loud

Cheers, Chaz
Old 08-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Competition heat makes a 12v engine heater. All you need is a 3 cell LiPo battery.

Edit: just realized this thread is over 4 years old lol
token likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
Why not use a propane torch? It's not as elegant as a heat gun, but it's portable and will get the job done.
Erm, nitro.... open flame.... don't mix. Good way to start a fire. Plus there are too many things you'll melt passing the flame over... air filter, radio box, antenna tube, etc.

A propane torch is too direct of heat. A heat gun will saturate the entire area it's blowing at.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hmm ... I went into this thread because I ran into the same problem. Browsed the Internet and came across these options https://wisepick.org/best-heat-gun/. What do you say? Will they fit?
Old 06-28-2019, 02:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Cordless heatgun

Milwaukee-Electric-Tool-2688-20-Cordless
Old 06-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danip
Milwaukee-Electric-Tool-2688-20-Cordless
i use the Milwaukee one at work, it’s great... but why the heck wouldn’t you just use a head heater on a 3s lipo pack?
Old 06-29-2019, 05:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Head heating

I use the heat gun when i break in a new engine the 12v heaters are not getting the engine hot enought.

After i finish the break in i mive to the 12v heaters.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danip
I use the heat gun when i break in a new engine the 12v heaters are not getting the engine hot enought.

After i finish the break in i mive to the 12v heaters.
that makes tons of sense... so to the original question, the Milwaukee 18v heat gun is great. I have to set off high rise building heat detectors (like smoke detectors, but are go into alarm with ambient heat) that are set at different temperatures for the application. The highest rated one I do is set to trigger at 175*f. With the Milwaukee it trips in about 25 seconds while waving it over the device. It’s been bouncing around in the work van for a year and still works as new. Hope this helps.