Wiki Posts
Search

A question about selling etiquitte

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default A question about selling etiquitte

I will not say what end of this deal i had but would like to first get a general opinion, especially from the fellas with very high feedback who have done many many deals. Is it ok for a seller to ask a buyer if it would be ok if he ships the item after the transfer from paypal to bank account has cleared so that he will have the extra money to ship the item? This could be for numerous reasons, money is tight,unemployed,single parent,car problems,rent, etc... Or would you consider that out of the norm seller etiquette? If the seller has good post count and feedback would you consider it to be unacceptable and scammish or is this possibly a normal thing? Please by all means say what is on your mind in reference to these questions.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 248 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ibmenace
I will not say what end of this deal i had but would like to first get a general opinion, especially from the fellas with very high feedback who have done many many deals. Is it ok for a seller to ask a buyer if it would be ok if he ships the item after the transfer from paypal to bank account has cleared so that he will have the extra money to ship the item? This could be for numerous reasons, money is tight,unemployed,single parent,car problems,rent, etc... Or would you consider that out of the norm seller etiquette? If the seller has good post count and feedback would you consider it to be unacceptable and scammish or is this possibly a normal thing? Please by all means say what is on your mind in reference to these questions.

I am not a high feedback trader here but have been in the forum based trading scene for over 10 years and have over 500 positive feedback combined. That being said I would not have any issue being the buyer in that situation as long as feedback was pretty solid and this was agreed upon BEFORE the deal was made. Truth be told even after the deal was struck and the seller told me that, and there was a good reason I would be cool with it.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Sup Chris, IMO as long as the seller states that he/she will only ship out after payment clears, there should be no issue with that...... That is actually the norm on ebay and how alot of sellers do business...... I usually try and ship things out the next day or within three days of payment, but thats just me........ So if the seller states that and the buyer is aware of it then to me it isn't a problem.........
Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
Sup Chris, IMO as long as the seller states that he/she will only ship out after payment clears, there should be no issue with that...... That is actually the norm on ebay and how alot of sellers do business......
"payment clears"...let's be REAL clear what that really is.

Payment has "cleared" (as far as I'm concerned...and PayPal) when the payment shows up in your PayPal account, because the second that happens YOU CAN SPEND THAT MONEY. It's yours. This is the difference between paying with PayPal and paying with a check. When you are paid with a check the check has cleared when it is funded by the bank upon which it is drawn. In a PayPal transaction both "banks" are the same, and just like when I deposit a check in my acct that is drawn from another account at that same bank that money is instantly available to me to spend.

Now if someone does not intend to ship until THEIR OWN TRANSFER OF FUNDS from PayPal to their bank account has happened, if they state that in their listing I guess I can't kick. I wouldn't choose to do business with them myself, but I can't see an "ethics" problem with it.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

transfering money from paypal to bank account takes 3 to 4 days (atleast mine does) as long as buyer is told thats what he is going to do, then i would not have a problem with that, this has happened to me, he dint tell me he was going to wait untill money was transfered to ship and i was waiting and waiting for the item. if he would have let me know i would not have expected item in 3 days.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
"payment clears"...let's be REAL clear what that really is.

Payment has "cleared" (as far as I'm concerned...and PayPal) when the payment shows up in your PayPal account, because the second that happens YOU CAN SPEND THAT MONEY. It's yours. This is the difference between paying with PayPal and paying with a check. When you are paid with a check the check has cleared when it is funded by the bank upon which it is drawn. In a PayPal transaction both "banks" are the same, and just like when I deposit a check in my acct that is drawn from another account at that same bank that money is instantly available to me to spend.

Now if someone does not intend to ship until THEIR OWN TRANSFER OF FUNDS from PayPal to their bank account has happened, if they state that in their listing I guess I can't kick. I wouldn't choose to do business with them myself, but I can't see an "ethics" problem with it.
Yes its true that once the money has been sent to your paypal that you can choose to keep it there and you can buy things right away with it while its in your account. However, not everyone chooses to do so, and if you choose not to do business with a person that is up front and states that in their listing then you have that right to do so......... I'm just stating there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, as long as its stated in the first place......
Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have a paypal card... its like a DEBT card.... and as soon as there is paypal avail I can go and purchase IMMEDIATELY... and if I sign instead of use my pin I even get 2% cash back! This probably doesnt apply here but it is a nice thing to know!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 187 (100%+)

I would say as long as its explained before the sale, and the buyer is ok with it then its ok, however the seller is a bit behind on the times. they should get a paypal debit card, then they could just charge the shipping on the card and it would come right from their paypal account. No waiting 3-4 days and the card is free.

If I made a purchase and the seller told me after the fact that they had to wait 3-4 days until it was xfered to their account before they could ship, I would be pissed. I guess I am impatient...lol
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

I think as long as the terms are made clear to each party there is no issue.

I too use a paypal debit card, and will usually pay shipping with that card.

I also give my number to those I have a deal with so they can contact me with any questions or concerns, and I make that very clear.

Deals over the internet with someone you don't know can be unsettling, and as a seller, you should understand this and make it easy for someone to contact you. Afterall, you have asked for their trust and received their money.

As a buyer, I expect a seller to keep to the terms as described with no excuses and as good or better communication as before the deal. Too many sellers think as long as it gets shipped out and the buyer gets it that is all they need to do, not realizing how anxious the other person may be. I bought a motor from a guy who was new and had zero feedback, he actually shipped before I paid, as we agreed. I got the motor as described, and sent payment the moment I opened the box and tested it. How many sellers would do that?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

So from what i gather, it is not uncommon or unacceptable for a seller to ask the buyer to allow that little bit of time. And thanks for the heads up about the paypal card guys. You helped quite a few people with that advice i am sure because i know i was unaware that they offered such a card and that would be the best and fastest way to access your money without having to wait a few days on that transfer. I appreciate everybody's input on this subject. I really do not want to go into explaining the whole story because i feel that the person i had a small issue with can now see that this is not a uncommon request. I did ask for the wait on the transfer and the person insinuated it would be unfair and was shady and appeared as a scam and that this was never acceptable and is never the way a sale is supposed to go. As well as stated that when a buyer pays that the seller is to ship the same day or next day. If all this is the way it is supposed to be i think everyone's feedback would be destroyed and the feedback section would be the busiest place here. But i did just want to get some feedback on the subject to see if i was in the wrong and was maybe thinking the wrong way about it.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

You are not in the wrong...Is the buyer new to the site?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

there's absolutely no reason to wait for the transfer. all you have to do is weigh the packed up items and print a shipping label from paypal and drop it off at the post office. if a seller asks you to allow them to do it, ask for a refund. not only is there no reason for them to transfer it, it's also cheaper for them to print their own shipping label than to pay at the post office.

EDIT: for clarification, i was talking about them having to transfer it to their bank account, not them waiting for the payment to clear. this is part of the reason that i got the paypal debit card, it just makes life easier. i NEVER have to wait for money to go from paypal to my checking account. if i want to spend my paypal to buy gas or anything else, it's easy!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

No the seller was not new at all and has been around a while. That's what made me second guess it. And as far as the last comment. Not everyone has a printer and not everyone know fully how to print and or setup a label nor does everyone have a scale. I think that saying there is absolutely no reason for waiting on transfer is a little wrong in pretaining to your reasoning. And when dropping it off at the shipper you still have to pat there. And again not everyone has a paypal card. And take into mind that in some cases a person on unemployment and dead broke, this being the reason for things such as [ huge rc sellouts ] and such. So there is going to be a great chance they will not have the $30.00 needed to ship the buggy,start box,tx/rx and 10 sets of tires that you just made a offer on. Anyway... i myself have allowed seller's to ship after they got they're cash in hand to pay for shipping no questions asked, sure ship it the first chance you get and we cool. And after i make a purchase all i say is forward tracking# when you get it shipped. Of all my deals i think one of them the seller shipped the next day. I will give up to 5 days before i pm to ask, hey did you get that shipped? I have never asked anyone to ship first thing the next day nor have i made any negative feedback for anyone even if it took up to 2 weeks or to receive my purchase. If a buyer asks if i can be sure to ship it the following day of the sale then of course i will.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ibmenace
No the seller was not new at all and has been around a while. That's what made me second guess it. And as far as the last comment. Not everyone has a printer and not everyone know fully how to print and or setup a label nor does everyone have a scale. I think that saying there is absolutely no reason for waiting on transfer is a little wrong in pretaining to your reasoning. And when dropping it off at the shipper you still have to pat there. And again not everyone has a paypal card. And take into mind that in some cases a person on unemployment and dead broke, this being the reason for things such as [ huge rc sellouts ] and such. So there is going to be a great chance they will not have the $30.00 needed to ship the buggy,start box,tx/rx and 10 sets of tires that you just made a offer on. Anyway... i myself have allowed seller's to ship after they got they're cash in hand to pay for shipping no questions asked, sure ship it the first chance you get and we cool. And after i make a purchase all i say is forward tracking# when you get it shipped. Of all my deals i think one of them the seller shipped the next day. I will give up to 5 days before i pm to ask, hey did you get that shipped? I have never asked anyone to ship first thing the next day nor have i made any negative feedback for anyone even if it took up to 2 weeks or to receive my purchase. If a buyer asks if i can be sure to ship it the following day of the sale then of course i will.
i realize that not everyone has a printer, etc but most people live in areas that have public libraries or schools or work where they can print a label. all you have to do is use a scale that most people have to weigh themselves on. i agree that there are times where it's just not possible for them to do it, but i don't think people realize how easy it is to print your own label and schedule a pickup. they could do it without having to transfer to their bank account or even leaving the house!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

I mean i can see your point of view also. But i have also accepted the fact that not everyone has high motivation or are considered punctual. I have patience and give alot of room within reason just to receive a good deal, usually you are saving yourself alot of money and helping someone else by buying off of rctech. I am willing to wait a bit for the deals that come through this place. And i know people have families,work,chores,friends, etc.. that they have to tend to also. I do not expect for them to make me the top new priority in they're life. Just get to me and what i need within a reasonable time and we are good. But i can also understand the high expectations of a person that just paid alot of hard earned money out of they're pocket. If the buyer does make the request to have it shipped the next day, then yes i do believe the seller should make every effort to make the buyer happy. Thanks for all the insight guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.