Search
Like Tree1Likes

AB Mods Racing Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default AB Mods Racing Engines

Well I am finally putting up a thread about my company. i also put the same thread up in the off road section as well Im usually pretty quite and set back but I think its time for a thread for those that may not know about AB Mods. This thread is also for those of you that already have my modified mills as I have done A LOT of engines all over the world over the years and quit a bit for members of this forum alone. I modify engines for Racers AND Bashers, On Road and Off Road. Also over the past year or so I have got into the world of ISC World Speed Challenge Racing and have had GREAT success and A LOT of fun in the process! My Team Driver Gary O'Conner has taken the win at the past 2 ISC Events using my modified engines and I couldnt be more happy about that.

So feel free to come on in and discuss anything you wish about my engines and all engines in general and I will do my best to help you out as always.

I think this will be a good place to come and gather to discuss all the information instead of it being spread all around the forum and hard to find. So feel free to check out my website and look around. I have some dyno sheets up on the site so you can all see some before and after dyno data from my engines as well as my Estore and Media/Magazine coverage that I have got in the past few years. I look forward to your posts and as I always say... Lets get the ball rolling!!

www.ABMods.com
Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, I might be biased but this guy is the best. His turn around is fast and he's always available but what's equally important is that his engines are fast! I was prepping for the ISC speed meet last year and got in touch with Adam, looking for as much power as I could get for the Small Block class. He spent some time with me and set me up with a JLR Red Dot .12 and that little motor was screamin' at Rockingham Dragway. I won the class, setting the record at 78.69mph and beating a .28 powered Schumaker factory car. It was just by .05 mph, but we beat him!

There was more in the car but it was a one day event and I had another car I was running so didn't have time to swap the gearing. This year we're returning to the ISC meet (this time in Fontana, CA) with a much more aero body and an ABMods O.S.18, this biggest engine allowed in the class. I am confident of breaking our present speed record, just don't know by how much.

We're also going to be trying to raise the overall nitro record of 93.66. It's a twin ABMods Picco Evo2 P9R powered streamliner, weighing only 6.5 pounds. It's geared for 125mph but I'll be happy with anything over 110. It will be an ISC world record and I don't believe there is a credible example of anything higher than about 103. If so, please let me know.

Testing this weekend with the small block car. It'll be lower gearing, trying to sneak up on it's limit.

I'm confident that on November 15th, ABMods will hold the crown of the world's fastest RC car engines.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Finally got to run today. That little .18 has really come to life, way more power than the car has stability. It blew over last time I ran so I extended the splitter and installed a smaller rear wing.

The car was fast but the rear was not reeealy glued. It was close but needs a bit more at the rear. I smacked the curb once and I think I hurt the steering servo since it turns about 50% more to the right than the left.

I'm going to shorten the big tail and try it again. The gearing was conservative so once I have it stable I'll step it up a couple teeth.

Less than four weeks until Fontana.

Adam, you spoke of leaning the engine out for that last bit of power...how do you determine how lean to go?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by problemchild
Finally got to run today. That little .18 has really come to life, way more power than the car has stability. It blew over last time I ran so I extended the splitter and installed a smaller rear wing.

The car was fast but the rear was not reeealy glued. It was close but needs a bit more at the rear. I smacked the curb once and I think I hurt the steering servo since it turns about 50% more to the right than the left.

I'm going to shorten the big tail and try it again. The gearing was conservative so once I have it stable I'll step it up a couple teeth.

Less than four weeks until Fontana.

Adam, you spoke of leaning the engine out for that last bit of power...how do you determine how lean to go?
When it starts sagging out you know ur too lean Give the engine a cooler plug as well as u should be able to lean it out and get some more power from it.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hey Adam, The mailman delivered the modded
P-9 Picco engine today. I can't wait to bolt it
in my DM-1 and pull the trigger on this weapon.
I'm sure it's going to be a great addition to my
arsonal and knowing it was your personal engine
makes it even better. Thanks for a great deal.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Adam is the guy. I have a Picco Evo2 off modded by him. Its a powerhouse and it tunes very good. Great service! Highly Recommended
Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Initiate

I pulled 82mph out of my AB Modded .18 TZ today and there's more speed in there. I honestly think I can get this old dog up to 90mph with a small block engine!

I got the chassis and body issues worked out. The car pulls straight and stays on the ground (always a plus)
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wait till you guys tried the ABMODS Nova Rossi Kangaroo engines
Old 10-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

I say some more people need to grab some of those Kangaroos up from you Sam and send them this way!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

i've got an ab mods picco .28 in my truggy and i'm VERY pleased with it.

they will be modding my onroad .21 when i get around to buying one, lol

so lets see, what engine do you recommend for 1/8 scale onroad racing?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Where is a dyno sheet on the Roo engine?
I have seen a few used Roo cranks for sale lately.
I guess thats all thats left after the come apart, huh?
What is the story behind the name of the engine and
how is it any better that the other hi-dollar novarossi
on-road .21 engines? Sorry for all the questions Adam.
But you know I have to do the research before dropping
all that coin on an engine.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

You must be referring to the old Kangaroo engines which was released a few years back, parts for this engine wasn't supported at that time by the old Novarossi On-Road engine distributor, that is why there are old cranks being sold and probably even the old crankcase are up for sale, Now we have a new Nova Rossi engine Distributor that is heavily importing the whole line of the On-Road engines, Anybody that has used the Kangaroo engine can chime in and express their experience with this said "Kangaroo" engine, this is one of the best engine of all time.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LOW ET
i've got an ab mods picco .28 in my truggy and i'm VERY pleased with it.

they will be modding my onroad .21 when i get around to buying one, lol

so lets see, what engine do you recommend for 1/8 scale onroad racing?
The Kangaroo engine is a very good club race On Road engine, you won't be disappointed or get the 35 plus 21 which is the next step up or better yet get both
Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Initiate

With a fairly short run up and maximum gearing in the car I am approaching 90 mph with my AB Mods OS .18. I have a couple more of Adam's rabbits to pull out of his hat for a bit more power and I'll be working with the Corvette body this weekend to see if I can get it to not blow over.

Only one more test session before heading to Fontana for the USR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.