CRC 1/10 Pan Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlealex
thanks bill. you are always helpful.
are you one of the crc team driver?
Not quite! Far better drivers out there fill that bill. Frank C, Brian W (Dumper), Brian B, Dave E are my hero setup technicians and drivers...ALL Being both very knowledgable and friendly souls. Each of them has mentored me at one time or another with my WGT setups at major races over the past 2-3 years.

Much of the time, I am just passing on the information they have previously given to me.

My goal is to promote the WGT class on both carpet and asphalt. Frank recognized that last year and did recruit me into Team CRC.

Should be seeing them at the Carpet Nats in a couple weeks...for more tips.

Bill
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i wish i have someone like those pro drivers to help us out in our track.
i followed wynn's setup from crc site but the car didnt work very good.
one problem of my car is the center shock can hardly bring up the middle ride height. i m not sure what cause the problem
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

With some pics we maybe can see what the problem is
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one problem of my car is the center shock can hardly bring up the middle ride height. i m not sure what cause the problem
Are you using the long shock end?

What motor class are you running? That setup is for boosted 10.5 on a very big high bite track.

For normal blinky 13.5 I am using

.50 front springs, new 1/8th inch steering blocks, .407 kingpin length

10k in tubes

Reverse servo medium track width plate

red center and red side springs 1 turn of preload

-.5 to -.75 camber. Adjust as needed

Battery up the center, all the way up front.

10 degree blocks, 1 shim forward, 2 back

Part #1776 front cross brace

My caster blocks are NOT raised

That's about it. I have been using this setup just about everywhere I go and it works.

dumper
Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

dumper have you tried this outdoors? Will be racing on a gas track that is smooth and great traction with little tire wear.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

The posted setups were usually developed at major events on a smooth surface with really high traction (dark black racing line). Not many local tracks achieve such conditions; unless, there is a big event with lots of racers doing laps to lay down the line.

If your car droops downward in the center, your overall center shock length is too short. There are two different length ball cups that come in the kit. You need to use the longer ballcup (Part #50 in the manual) and thread it onto the shock shaft to the proper length. Setup the car with maybe 1/2 to 1mm of droop for normal carpet racing...more for a bumpy track.

Then give Dumper's (Brian Wynn) basic setup another try...and adjust from there.

Bill
Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BullFrog
dumper have you tried this outdoors? Will be racing on a gas track that is smooth and great traction with little tire wear.
I have not. Actually I have never run outdoors. I would actually defer the question to Still Bill as he runs alot of outdoor. But if it smooth with good bite I would imagine that this would not be far off?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Originally Posted by dumper
I have not. Actually I have never run outdoors. I would actually defer the question to Still Bill as he runs alot of outdoor. But if it smooth with good bite I would imagine that this would not be far off?
That setup will be a good starting point for outdoors. Only thing i might change to start is the white spings on the pod instead of red. Start with 1mm pod droop. You might need a little more, but thats a good start.
Also run your tires bigger then on carpet.

One more thing. Brian you gotta give Jackson a try this year. Looks like the WGT is finally gonna be big!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The track I will be racing is smooth and the traction is excellence.Since it is a nitro track. the set-up sheet I got when I ordered the car has something I've been trying to fiqure out. The riser plate . it says 2.5mm . Now I looked and found a part number 1740. but this part does not come in the LE kit. I got the standard one that comes with the kit and two others #17402 and #17403 to reverse the servo. Now the picture shows the 1740 and it is a 2 piece plate. the two I have says med and wide. How wide is the wide compaired to the stock piece in the kit?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just got home from race night and for the last several days questioned the configuration of the battery and setup that I chose to run with my new LE chassis.....well, I can say the car was on rails....great turn in, great mid and great coming off the corners.

I ran on road on a medium grip carpet....a sweeper into a long straight, followed by 7 turns...decent size track with tight turns.

Along with batter position
Red side springs
Red center spring
12th scale kingpins
50's for front springs
5 degree A arm mounts
4 spacers to the rear of A arm shaft
-1 degree camber
sauced half front tires and two thirds on rears
4 mm ride heighth all the way around
Last but not least, 1mm droop and all springs just under preload

The car was flawless!
Attached Thumbnails CRC 1/10 Pan Car-race-setup.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey Guys,

FWIW, The track where I run my LE is also asphalt, although indoors (approx 150 x 50 ) very smooth and very high grip.

I've also been using dumper's Vegas set up as a base, but with help from Bill and others' posts, I have made a few adjustments that seem to work better for our track conditions: (items in bold are alterations from Brian's Vegas set up sheet)

Servo is reverse front mount. Tie-rod's are level.

Track width: wide ( servo height spacers removed )
Wheel base: long
axles: inline
Camber: -.25 -> -.5
Caster shims: 2 back
Caster blocks: 10 deg
Kingpin length: .404 (1/12th)
Spring .50 (1/12th)

Upper Arm: Long & Raised
Ackerman: Mid
Ride height spacer: 5 +( 2 yellow & 1 orange spacer: compensates for the removal of the spacers under the track width plate )
Riser plate: No
Chassis stiffener: yes

Shock spring: Red
Shock oil: 30wt
Shock mount: Raised 1.5mm ( on chassis ) / Std height on pod
Battery: Fwd
ESC: behind battery (centered)

Damper tubes: 20K
Side springs: Green
Preload: .75-1.25 turns (varies with tweak adjustment)
Rear steer: Pod ball studs raised slightly ( >1mm): Losi JRX-S ball stud: link on pod / std CRC ball studs on chassis
Droop: 1mm ( although I measure this from the back of the lower rear pod plate, which IIRC is different from where Brian measures droop )

Front tire: 53mm
Sauce: full width
side glue: none
Rear tire: 54mm
Sauce full: width

Ride height (Frnt,Mid,Rear): 3.8, 4.0, 4.2 ( chassis/pod form a straight line w/ a slight rake)

I wouldn't call this ideal. But so far this set up has been the most consistently predictable throughout the run particularly as the effects of sauce diminish, the balance of the car remains identical.

Although I do feel like I have a bit too much grip at turn-in, and that the car scrubs off too much speed in fast transitions ( could also blame my driving),
but it's so much better than running the axles in the trailing position. Next time I'm at the track, I've been thinking to try stiffer side springs, but also increasing the thickness of the center shock oil to try to slow down fore/aft weight transfer.

HTH

BTW comments and/or suggestions always welcome

Cheers,
-m
Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 AM
Tech Adept

small update to the car

http://rcgtpancars.blogspot.com/
Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
One more thing. Brian you gotta give Jackson a try this year. Looks like the WGT is finally gonna be big!
My Gen X10 is on its way... Can't wait to take on the curbs @ Jackson this summer.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mjw353
Hey Guys,

FWIW, The track where I run my LE is also asphalt, although indoors (approx 150 x 50 ) very smooth and very high grip.

I've also been using dumper's Vegas set up as a base, but with help from Bill and others' posts, I have made a few adjustments that seem to work better for our track conditions: (items in bold are alterations from Brian's Vegas set up sheet)

Servo is reverse front mount. Tie-rod's are level.

Track width: wide ( servo height spacers removed )
Wheel base: long
axles: inline
Camber: -.25 -> -.5
Caster shims: 2 back
Caster blocks: 10 deg
Kingpin length: .404 (1/12th)
Spring .50 (1/12th)

Upper Arm: Long & Raised
Ackerman: Mid
Ride height spacer: 5 +( 2 yellow & 1 orange spacer: compensates for the removal of the spacers under the track width plate )
Riser plate: No
Chassis stiffener: yes

Shock spring: Red
Shock oil: 30wt
Shock mount: Raised 1.5mm ( on chassis ) / Std height on pod
Battery: Fwd
ESC: behind battery (centered)

Damper tubes: 20K
Side springs: Green
Preload: .75-1.25 turns (varies with tweak adjustment)
Rear steer: Pod ball studs raised slightly ( >1mm): Losi JRX-S ball stud: link on pod / std CRC ball studs on chassis
Droop: 1mm ( although I measure this from the back of the lower rear pod plate, which IIRC is different from where Brian measures droop )

Front tire: 53mm
Sauce: full width
Rear tire: 54mm
Sauce full: width

Ride height (Frnt,Mid,Rear): 3.8, 4.0, 4.2 ( chassis/pod form a straight line w/ a slight rake)

I wouldn't call this ideal. But so far this set up has been the most consistently predictable throughout the run particularly as the effects of sauce diminish, the balance of the car remains identical.

Although I do feel like I have a bit too much grip at turn-in, and that the car scrubs off too much speed in fast transitions ( could also blame my driving),
but it's so much better than running the axles in the trailing position. Next time I'm at the track, I've been thinking to try stiffer side springs, but also increasing the thickness of the center shock oil to try to slow down fore/aft weight transfer.

HTH

BTW comments and/or suggestions always welcome

Cheers,
-m
Looks like I need to come down there to run against your setup. Sure don't see anything wrong; except, I like red side springs in the rear for virtually all conditions. Could be wrong here though...LOL

Headed to the Carpet Nats at Carrollton, TX in the morning.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chris_blakey
small update to the car

http://rcgtpancars.blogspot.com/
Hi Chris, You may think this is not news but if you are testing your WGT
CRC Genx some time. Take a pair of rear spec foams and cut 1/4" from
the inside edge of the tires and rim and try them on your car. You will be
surprised at how much faster and easier to drive your car will be when
compared to the wide rear foams you now use. You probably have tried
this but maybe not. In our club we are getting a tire supplier to make
them custom for us using the lilac colored WGT compound. Regards
Norman2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.