Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Screeching motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Screeching motor

I just picked up a TT-01 and a Traxxas XL-10: 10 turn ESC along with a Speed Gems Pro Pyrite 10 turn double motor, using a Duratrax Evader ST reciever and radio. Here's the problem, I turn on the ESC and power up the ar and it's fine, quiet, great. But as soon as I flip on the Radio the motor begins to makes this obnoxious screeching noise that does not sound good. I also have a problem with the ESC, when I hit the throttle, sometimes it takes a moment to go and I can't go directly from full throttle to full brake/revers, because nothing happens, I have to go from full throttle to neutral to brake/reverse in order for the brakes or reverse to work. Any suggestions?

EDIT:the battery I'm using is a Venom 1800 NiCD if that matters at all

-Daniel
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
jaz
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sounds like you need to run setup on your ESC to get it adjusted to the endpoints on your radio. Read the instructions that came with the ESC, and they should walk you through the process. Also, you'll want to read the instructions for your radio for fine tuning that as well. Lastly, there is a possibility that your battery pack may not be supplying enough voltage to the ESC which is causing it to glitch or hesitate. Try upgrading to one of the newer NiMH packs with either GP or IB cells.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Default uh huh

Originally Posted by jaz
Sounds like you need to run setup on your ESC to get it adjusted to the endpoints on your radio. Read the instructions that came with the ESC, and they should walk you through the process. Also, you'll want to read the instructions for your radio for fine tuning that as well. Lastly, there is a possibility that your battery pack may not be supplying enough voltage to the ESC which is causing it to glitch or hesitate. Try upgrading to one of the newer NiMH packs with either GP or IB cells.
i agree it sounds like your esc needs to be reset, and or the endpoints in the radio need to be reset as well even after you reset the esc.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i think the reason that you motor is scretching is because the bearings/bushings in the endbell and it the front of the can are dry, put some oil on them and that should fix that
Old 07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Alright, well I've reprogramemd my ESC about 10 times, finding the endpoints on my radio, I suppose the battery could be a possibility because it SEEMS to work better when I first put in a fully charged battery, then deteriates from there (I was pretty sure my setup would need a lot os power =P) As far as the motor...I don't have any oil =P Any specific kind I should use?
Thanks for all the help guys!

P.S. do you have any suggestions on NiMH peak chargers? I'm going to go searching on eBay and I'd like a charger that'll stop charging automatically when the battery is full.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Yep it most definitely sounds like an improperly programmed ESC. Usually, when you pull the trigger back a little tiny bit, so you have the ESC engaged, but the motor isn't moving, there is a screeching sound. Nothing to worry about. Just reprogram the ESC.