Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Info On The New Sanyo 3600's

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by GundamWZero
Okay, I am not a noob when it comes to the hobby; I've been at this for little over 15 years......what I am a noob is at batteries.

Normally, its buy, run, charge, waste the pack and buy another. All that changed when I started racing on the tracks instead of backyard and park ground bashing. I evolved from 2000 mah NiCad cells, to 3000NiMH cells, to 3300 NiMHcells rather quickly ( gotta keep up, don't I?) So anyway, here is my question: Why so expensive? I spent about 200 dollars for two packs of Trinity Vis-Extra matched 3300mah NiMH batteries (which they had the lowest numbers and nobody wanted those), it has the GP logo. I also had two packs of Sanyo 3000mah NiMH which cost far less than the GPs. These where bought at two different points of time; when 3000 dominated then the 3300 showed up. Now I just want to by-pass the local hobby stores and go directly to the source; buy from GP. Do they do battery matching?

Its bad when a company jack up prices on a pack of matched batteries, and hold the prices there until a better set of numbers comes up. Then the prices drop on one set and go up on the other. This gives only a certain group of racers, sponsored racers, and those who have nothing better to do with money, access to these types of packs. In turn, I stay in Novice class races, where guys either don't have the funds or new to the hobby. And if I had to "bump up" to fill a position in the Stock class, I cheat (yeah I do, so what??) and switch to a modified motor to keep pace with those guys!

I love the hobby and and competing fairly and with honor, but how can one compete with the way things are changing in the hobby, and the prices are so high that you are left behind in the dark ages? 50 to 60 bucks is pretty reasonable for a pack of top of the line batteries, not $125 to $150.

And for what? Already, I lost a cell, a 3300 matched cell, in one of my packs. Now the 100 dollar pack is worthless.

If I don't know what I am talking about, let me know...... I got a lot of guys who would like the same thing without going to "spec-class" races.
Your biggest problem is that you're buying Trinity batteries. Because Trinity is so well known, you pay a big markup on cells that aren't better than other smaller, lesser known matchers. $100 per pack is ridiculous. There's no way you should ever pay that much for Gold Peak cells, let alone lower end matched cells. Try buying Gold Peak cells from a smaller, but highly respected matcher like Promatch or Surge. Here are their addresses:

http://www.promatchracing.com
http://www.surgebatterymatching.com

Gold Peak has actually done a lot to lower the costs of high quality cells. Sanyo has a deal with Trinity that makes them the exclusive distributor of Sanyo cells (at least in United States). So every single matcher in the U.S. has to buy their "raw" Sanyo cells from Trinity. Of course, Trinity marks them up a lot, which is why packs were a lot more expensive when Sanyo was the best on the market. Gold Peak doesn't have an exclusive U.S. distributor, so it's leveled the playing field considerably. Right now, you can buy some really good Gold Peak cells (1.160-1.164 AV Voltage 400+ Runtime) from Promatch for $39.99 (unassembled). I remember buying matched Sanyo SCR 1400's eleven or twelve years ago for $60 bucks a pack and they weren't even close to what you would get from that Promatch pack.

BTW, I've bought from Promatch several times and have been very happy with them. I've never bought from Surge, but have only heard good things about them. There are quite a few other smaller, reputable matchers out there too. But when it comes to buying batteries, avoid Trinity and to a lesser extent Orion and Reedy, because with those companies you're paying a premium for the name on the label.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You may be right, about the Trinity cells. They were the only ones the hobby store had; anything else was kiddy grade. As far as the sites, I have to check them out; 40 dollars for a decent pack sounds right up my driveway!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by GundamWZero
You may be right, about the Trinity cells. They were the only ones the hobby store had; anything else was kiddy grade. As far as the sites, I have to check them out; 40 dollars for a decent pack sounds right up my driveway!
Just noticed you're in Germany. I'm not sure how much shipping will cost, but you should still save quite a bit by going with Promatch, Surge, etc.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed, Trinity & some of the other big name matchers have always overcharged for their packs, & now that we have access to some smaller companies(like Surge, ProMatch, SMC, Fukuyama, etc.) that'll sell us packs that are just as good as many factory sponsored guys' packs at a MUCH lower cost, there's little to no reason to waste the money on Trinity. In truth, I've NEVER spent $100 on a pack, because I just refused to when there weren't many small matchers of merit, & now even with those small matchers' bast packs, I'm only paying a max. of $75-80(& I really am talking about number every bit as good as a factory driver's packs), & of course their lower priced ones are such a good deal for most purposes it's almost sick...
Old 07-26-2004, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

I'm wondering where all of these $100+ Prices are coming from? I've got several Trinity packs and the most I have paid was $70 for the high end 3300 1.6-1.7 packs. Sounds like someone is charging close to retail price which is wrong.
When it comes to batteries, shop around. I know sometimes local hobby shops that have a monopoly in an area like to take advantage of it. I had one around me, until another "national" place came along. As far as I know, the original place eventually stopped carrying most of the R/C stuff just because people laughed at their prices. It was well deserved too.
I'll pay for top cells, but not if it costs me $90 and above. That's my $.02
Old 07-26-2004, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Important Information on the Differences on GP,Panasonic and Sanyo Pricing.

Guys.This information is for 2 people.Either the people that didnt know or the ones that are SO new to the industry they simply have witnessed or seen the pattern go on.

Trinity owns Distribution Rights to Panasonic and Sanyo making the price of these cells between $1.30-2.00 higher PER cell making the pack $8.00-12.00 higher even for the matcher.
Being Sanyo or Panasonic cells have NEVER been as consistant as GP cells they also dont produce as many high level racing packs making it harder for the matchers to make as many racing packs like when they are using GP cells.

GP cells have been the best thing since SLICED bread for the R/C industry Price wise,Performance,and durability wise.They yield better #'s,Performance and are more consistant for the matchers making it better for the racing part of the industry which only accounts for less than 15%.

The reason prices are quoted as being high are due to the natural cost of cells being higher,not yielding the same results or lack of competition or knowledge of the person buying them.
If they dont know to look around or the store doesnt have alot of cometition then the owner will try to get what he can to help pay for overhead.The R/C hobbystore industry is NOT what it's cracked up to be and hard to survive much less make the profits some of you might THINK they make.
Trinity Retails Panasonics and Sanyo's as $129.95-139.95 for their top packs and GP's for $109.95 due to less cost PER CELL even to them.
Shop around guys and you will find nice cells being fair priced.But also try and support your local shop even if it comes to negotiating the price.I will walk into a store and if I see something online for $59.99 and he has it for $79.99 I will offer him $69.99 to buy it and support HIM as a shop.If he says no then buy it mailorder or wherever you saw it for $59.99.

Hope this info helps.But GPs are cheaper to the public due to being cheaper to the matchers and NOT being controlled price wise by Trinity.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by TexRacer
Important Information on the Differences on GP,Panasonic and Sanyo Pricing.Trinity owns Distribution Rights to Panasonic and Sanyo making the price of these cells between $1.30-2.00 higher PER cell
This is not entirely correct. In reality Team Orion purchases Sanyo cells directly from Sanyo, not through Trinity. Claiming exclusivity is Trinity's way of boosting their perceived importance in the R/C industry.

Last edited by Rick Hohwart; 07-28-2004 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Rick Hohwart: Trinity has a USA Exclusive Orion probably has a European Exclusive.

"The real reason GPs are cheaper than Sanyos is they are made in China by underpaid workers working in substandard conditions."

This is not true and unless you go to China you cannot say that. My brother's company has a plant in China and they have everything you would see here in a plant in America. The major difference is that wages are lower and the price of materials are lower as well as taxes and business restrictions.

You want to throw around the FUD, fine, just do it where it makes sense and is true. You can find sweat shops in NYC if you bother to read the newspapers.

That being said, I am no fan of Trinity
Old 07-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by LeadFoot
Rick Hohwart: Trinity has a USA Exclusive...
Just a token title...does not affect prices as many believe.

Last edited by Rick Hohwart; 07-28-2004 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Rick Hohwart

The real reason GPs are cheaper than Sanyos is they are made in China by underpaid workers working in substandard conditions.
Shhhhh! The last thing we need are a bunch of the bleeding-heart types protesting our races, like they do to Nike!

Old 07-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How about adding in a favorable exchange rate (RMB->$) to the reason GP cells are cheaper, instead of just assuming anyone who works in China is underpaid in crappy conditions? Jeez. At least their living expenses are paid for by the employer, including housing and food.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

True, True

Where in Sunnyvale do you live? I lived there for 10 years before I moved to Alviso
Old 07-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
Just a token title...does not affect prices as many believe.
Rick, isn't it true though that Orion/Peak is able to bypass Trinity when buying cells from Sanyo and Panasonic because Orion is a European based company? I've always heard that all U.S. based matchers HAVE to buy Sanyo and Panasonic cells from Trinity.