Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do i need to make a motor cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any hardware store. Just form a piece around a motor and then when u pull it off, close it up a little more so it has a tight fit. then take a flat piece and solder the 2 together using a torch.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I went to Home depot and got a Copper coupler in the Pipe section. I think it was about $5.50. Measure the size of the motor and get one that is a LITTLE smaller. I think one for 1 1/2" pipe. I then cut it a little over half way, Better to cut long and trim it down then cutting it too short. If it doesn't clamp tight enough then squeze the ends together. Clamps tight and stays put. Look at this one to see how to make one, or buy one from him. They work really well!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ghlight=cooler ( scroll down)

Notice he use's TWO peltiers!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gezer2u
I went to Home depot and got a Copper coupler in the Pipe section. I think it was about $5.50. Measure the size of the motor and get one that is a LITTLE smaller. I think one for 1 1/2" pipe. I then cut it a little over half way, Better to cut long and trim it down then cutting it too short. If it doesn't clamp tight enough then squeze the ends together. Clamps tight and stays put. Look at this one to see how to make one, or buy one from him. They work really well!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ghlight=cooler ( scroll down)

Notice he use's TWO peltiers!
I was just thinking about that putting two peltier chip is parallel not in top of each other. It will probably work better.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

No if u put 2 peltier parallel, that would just increase the amount of space it covers .

If u put on top of each other, one peltier will cool the other peltier's hot side.

That would make the 1st peltier much cooler as its hot side is being cooled by the secong peltier.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:47 AM
Tech Adept

I made mine myself aswell.

costs:
peltier: 14 euros
cooler: 12 euros Huge one for a pentium 2 or something
thermal paste: 6 euro
motor clamp: pit box
wiring: pit box

to get the best result try to find an as big as possible peltier with the most amounts of watts. mine is something like 25watts but actually its too little...
size 3x3cm
i chopped a tamiya motor cooler in 2 pieces and filled the gaps with some solder. not ideal but it was the only thing could do with this thing keeping the costs low. then i grinded it as flat as possible using sanding paper and a lot of my time getting it right.
nicely put on the thermal paste as it is realy important for the heat transfer!
a tiny drop of it is enough for the 9square cm's.
i used it on both sides of the peltier.
on the warm side its omportant that the alu CPU cooler is nice and huge. mine never gets hot at all just because its such big, like 35 celcius max...

tip!
put some insulating on the cold side! i used some kind of strange thin foam like something you can put around a copper pipe it has a shiny layer of alu and a 1mm layer of foam in it. put the foamside on the motor to get te best result. when i put this insulating on the outside of the clamps and on some left-over space on the peltier it got 10 degrees colder!

uhm, i temped @ -15 when it was 15 degrees outside..

i should mention that most of the motors magnets are attached to the can with glue that can become brittle when freezed. heard about guys popping their magnets out with their fingers after cooling to below 0..

i guess this kind of motor cooling would be ideal for BL motors as you directly freeze the copper wires and therefore lowering the internal resistance of the wires. i bought a BL set recently and will test the cooling asap

just my 2cents worth

Mark
Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
No if u put 2 peltier parallel, that would just increase the amount of space it covers .

If u put on top of each other, one peltier will cool the other peltier's hot side.

That would make the 1st peltier much cooler as its hot side is being cooled by the secong peltier.

Two of my friends have coolers with 2 peltiers. They work amazing.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:10 AM
tel
Tech Adept

Just remember to check the wattage rating of the peltier(s). If you exceed the heatsink/fan ability to dissipate the heat made by the peltier you won't be cooling anything or you will seriously shorten the lifespan of the peltier device. The following if too large of a peltier to run with even the high end of CPU heatsink and fans.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/5912.html

Most CPU heatsink/fan combo's were designed to dissapate up to about 130W on CPU heat and the processors still get into the 60deg C range and higher. Also, think about the current draw on your 12V power supply. The peltier above is rating to draw 24A max. I don't owne a 24A 12V DC power supply. Try something like the following for peltier.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/5910.html

I am sure you can find it cheaper somewhere else. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimbo Morris
Two of my friends have coolers with 2 peltiers. They work amazing.

I didn't say u can't use 2 peltier at one time. I', just saying its best to use to peltier with one coolling the other.

This is because a peltier with much cooler temperature on its hot side will produce much lower temperature on its cold side.

It may seem complicated as my English is not that good, but thats what I understand about these peltier coolers.

Just My 2 Cents!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
I didn't say u can't use 2 peltier at one time. I', just saying its best to use to peltier with one coolling the other.

This is because a peltier with much cooler temperature on its hot side will produce much lower temperature on its cold side.

It may seem complicated as my English is not that good, but thats what I understand about these peltier coolers.

Just My 2 Cents!!!!!!
thanks guys
but just one more question before i set out to build this thing... how do you make the flat copper piece sticks onto the peltiers
Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You want a cooler check out this site. www.pandcracing.com
This baby will freeze your motor. I bought one and this sucker works.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tunnelhead
You want a cooler check out this site. www.pandcracing.com
This baby will freeze your motor. I bought one and this sucker works.
i saw that already
thanks
Old 08-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I was wondering what size wattage peltier to use.Is 70-90 ok or should I go higher then that?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The peltier I bought I think it's rated at 125 watts. The higher the watts the better just make sure your heatsink can handle the heat that the peltier will generate. And you need a pure copper base heatsink so the heat can be absorb better.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
The peltier I bought I think it's rated at 125 watts. The higher the watts the better just make sure your heatsink can handle the heat that the peltier will generate. And you need a pure copper base heatsink so the heat can be absorb better.
thats good to know
thanks for the input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.