Wiki Posts
Search

Best electric motor???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default Best electric motor???

Hey guys, I need some info on electrics motors and ESC for my slash. In my class, I can run any motor I want. Brushless or not, doesn't matter. We can only run a 2 cell lipo also. Let me know cause season is coming up fast. Thanks guys.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by diesel32x
Hey guys, I need some info on electrics motors and ESC for my slash. In my class, I can run any motor I want. Brushless or not, doesn't matter. We can only run a 2 cell lipo also. Let me know cause season is coming up fast. Thanks guys.
Mine is the best. It always has been and always will be.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by diesel32x

But seriously; I am getting a Mamba Max Pro ESC and Novak HV 4.5 to run in my OFNA Hyper10sc. That seems to be an awesome setup.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I believe that "best" is very subjective. For a Slash a Velineon is a good choice....they are very underated and are purpose built. The Mamba max pro 5700 combo is as fast as you'd want for anything 2 wheel drive offroad, and anything sensored would be good like a Tekin 10.5 or Novak 10.5 combo. Lrp makes great stuff, speed passion, bonzai.....the list of good stuff is endless. If you still have trouble picking....go to the track and find out what the guys that are winning have.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

There are many things that will change what the "Best Motor" is for a given track and vehicle setup.

Are you running a 2WD or 4x4?
How big is the track?
How tight is the technical part?

Those are the main ones...

A 4x4 Slash can take quite a bit of power. I have not gotten my Mamba Max Pro yet, but it sure seems like the best ESC out there right now. For any given motor, the MMP will most likely make the most power for a given amount of heat. For larger more open tracks, a good slotless motor, sensored or sensorless will make the most power, but if you need delicate low rpm control (and in the 2WD Slash) then a sensored motor will be a little more precise. Speed Passion is the first company making a sensored slotless stator motor. I have not seen one run yet, but I bet they rock. Slotless motors like the Mamba Max 4600 through 9000 have no metal in the windings so they can pack in more wire and not have as much inductance so they can rev up faster and pull like mad even at high rpm. Slotted stator motors like all the ROAR spec style (Novak, LRP, etc.) use a metal lamination stack like and inside out brush motor armature. This can make it more efficient at low rpm, and make great torque, but at higher speeds the mass of metal has to be magnatized north then south every revolution. The stator poles also take up room so less wire can be packed in so the resistance is also a bit higher for a given wind making these motors run a bit hotter for a given power level. Medusa and Neu motors are sensorless 4 pole slotted stators. For huge power, the 4 pole motors are hard to beat. I ran a little Medusa 36mm dia by 50 mm long motor and it would out run anything close to it's tiny size. I had it launching an 8.5 pound 1/8 scale with ease until the 1/8 shaft broke on me. I am trying to get a new 5mm shaft put in it. Now I have a Neu 1512 and there is no denying the power it can crank out at efficiency levels that are just amazing. By going to 4 poles instead of two, the effective KV for a given wind is cut in half, so the number of turns is cut way down allowing much fatter wire and reducing the resistance loss again. My Neu is only 2.5 turns, but it is only a 2050 KV motor. Most of these motors are low KV so the rpm is kept lower and the magnetizing losses are then lower as well. My Medusa was on the high side at 3300 KV. I think that would be a near ideal Slash 4x4 motor. Too bad Medusa is getting out of the RC motor business. I would have bought at least one more of their motors if they were still around, but now it may take a while to get service. It is ironic that Neu is going to be servicing the Nedusa motors now, but they don't have replacement rotors for the 36 mm motors yet. In a 2WD Slash, I think I would stick to a sensored 10.5, or maybe an 8.5 or so for a big track. With the correct gearing and proper use the the "CHEAT" mode in the MMP, I am hearing great things about what you can make a 10.5 motor do. I will have a better idea once my back ordered MMP comes in to power my 13.5 motor. For a normal 540 sized sensored motor, I can not give any real advice yet. I know people seem happy with the new Novak Balistic and the LRP X12's, but they are not cheap motors. Well made and easy to service does make them a bit more expensive to build. There are quite a few other ROAR style sensored motors out there. I have a Losi 13.5 but I am not too happy with the performance right now, but I hope to find out what is holding it back when I get the MMP ESC.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dude, that is a great answer. I would go for a sensored setup, you just can't beat the smoothness it offers on indoor clay!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Need some advise, There are many different sensored motors out there, some like xerun cost like $75, where as a LRP x12 cost about $90. Is it just the brand or they do have special program in them that makes it worth that extra $20?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Doesn't matter if you have a sensored motor if your esc is sensorless.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It is hard to go wrong with a Tekin RS / Redline combo. Buying them together saves a little money.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seany916
Doesn't matter if you have a sensored motor if your esc is sensorless.
I'm sure this really helped him out, who doesn't know this?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Company Representative

Tomorrow, we will be announcing the release of 3 Traxxas compatible, affordable systems, ideal for SC racing: Havoc 3S / Ballistic Spec motors---10.5, 13.5 and 17.5

These systems feature something we have not offered before--a completely wired, plug and play, sensored system for a Traxxas Slash. The controller comes wired with a Traxxas battery connector and the motor wires are plugable (w/low loss, gold plated connectors)--no soldering required for easy installation.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

can I have some opinion and advise please

Say, if you're a beginner in touring class racing, spec is stock class 17.5T motor. Should you be looking for the most powerful sensorless ESC eg. 120A Sensorless Brushless ESC and any 17.5T sensorless motor?

Or go with something like a LRP SPX or SXX or Tekin R5 with a tekin 17.5T sensored motor?

Basically you know if you can get some 120Amp sensorless ESC, running 17.5T, you should theorectically do quite a lot of damage on racing field.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Company Representative

If you are serious about racing 17.5 TC, precision control is a necessity; get a sensored esc for precise throttle control at low speed.

Originally Posted by yobouno
can I have some opinion and advise please

Say, if you're a beginner in touring class racing, spec is stock class 17.5T motor. Should you be looking for the most powerful sensorless ESC eg. 120A Sensorless Brushless ESC and any 17.5T sensorless motor?

Or go with something like a LRP SPX or SXX or Tekin R5 with a tekin 17.5T sensored motor?

Basically you know if you can get some 120Amp sensorless ESC, running 17.5T, you should theorectically do quite a lot of damage on racing field.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

sensorless will cog if you hit a tube and won't get going again without a tap/push a lot of times.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for the advise. am going down the sensored path. Sensorless just seems a bit slower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.