Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree160Likes

Maclan Racing Products Discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Maclan Racing Products Discussion
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Cain
Updates here

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
THIS ^^^^^^

I just wanna see what the high end 1/10 esc's look like
Yes some HIGH end stuff.

I have Viper BE i need to trade in to get the new MaClan stuff.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
darn okay.

For the wire that will come with the Maclan 1/8 ESC (assuming here one is made), what gauge will that be and is that the same gauge as the Viper VTX8?
We have not got there yet, but the wire used before is common for most performance esc's. So I would think its possible.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Motorman007
Yes some HIGH end stuff.

I have Viper BE i need to trade in to get the new MaClan stuff.
Working on it.....
Old 01-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Is Maclan going to offer a tuned or "certified" option with their motors?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikos2002
We have not got there yet, but the wire used before is common for most performance esc's. So I would think its possible.
okay sounds good. from memory the vtx8 escs, was the wire 12 gauge? trying to confirm what I got as when I looked at tekin's 12 gauge wire, it was thinner looking but maybe the coating is why so curious.

like the feel of the viper wire as it was pretty flexible stuff, so if that goes forward with the maclan line that would be cool.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maclan is 100% different from that other one. To answer the question - yes - it is.
From what I heard from a maclan sponsored driver is that part of vipers ownership wanted to expand vipers manufacturing to spread the licensing to other brands and other parts didn't. Maclan took the viper brand from the rest of the ownership and viper was left with nothing. Not sure how true all that is, but I've known the driver for several years and he was formerly viper sponsored.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The combos are updates of items we have sold in the past. Improvements have been made on the motor side for more efficiency (i.e. smoother, cooler running). On the ESC side, the internal boards are waterproofed - which also makes them stronger when running, less chance of making contact and shorting like some other brand esc. Software has a good amount of adjustment and with the right settings it can feel as smooth as some dual mode speed controls.

Its a great combination for the value. Speed and performance at 1/2 the cost of some of the systems out there.
OK, well I ordered up the combo to give it a try. Would have been nice if the combo came with a programming box, but those are something I rarely need. I assume the guys with Maclan at TRCR will let me use theirs if I need one. I'll post back to this thread after I have a couple of race days on it! Thinking of going with a 16T pinion on my Tekno 4x4 410.3 for Astro and carpet as the tracks are a little smaller than outdoors.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jpdanger
Is Maclan going to offer a tuned or "certified" option with their motors?
Maybe they will have a "JH tuned" edition. Lol. Testing has been going extremely well. The MRR 17.5 is crazy fast. Faster than any 17.5 I have used before.

Last edited by Jim Hustins; 01-02-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jubjub47
From what I heard from a maclan sponsored driver is that part of vipers ownership wanted to expand vipers manufacturing to spread the licensing to other brands and other parts didn't. Maclan took the viper brand from the rest of the ownership and viper was left with nothing. Not sure how true all that is, but I've known the driver for several years and he was formerly viper sponsored.
Nope.... that's not right, but creative....
Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Does all this really matter? Viper is gone. Maclan is here. Let's deal with it and move on. Good grief.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon
Does all this really matter? Viper is gone. Maclan is here. Let's deal with it and move on. Good grief.
Well said.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon
To me Maclan isn't here yet. Until I see serious products from them, it's all just hype.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

I think there is a relevance to knowing why Viper is gone and Maclan is here. It doesn't inspire confidence in a company knowing they just had to scrap a whole plan and start from scratch. I think the Viper/future Maclan customers deserve a little more explanation as to what and why things happened. Otherwise, I'd be hesitant to buy into a company's product fearing they may not be around all that long.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boucher
I think there is a relevance to knowing why Viper is gone and Maclan is here. It doesn't inspire confidence in a company knowing they just had to scrap a whole plan and start from scratch. I think the Viper/future Maclan customers deserve a little more explanation as to what and why things happened. Otherwise, I'd be hesitant to buy into a company's product fearing they may not be around all that long.
I can see your point of view on that. who knows, maybe it would help "stop" the questions about what happened. Or, it may just go away with time and maybe that is how some want it to go. don't know. If there is one, can always drop it on the first page.

Hopefully Maclan higher ups can see some benefit to doing something with current Viper Product owners as a special way of saying thanks for being there and bringing them into the fold. In general, guys who liked Viper products were pretty loyal to the line even when stuff went scarce for when it all went bye-bye.

Even if its say part of the trade in program that if you send in Viper gear to go with maclan gear, they send out say a T-shirt, hat, towel (I love my Viper towel ), etc. that goes only to those owners.

Anyway, wonder when we will see something on the race line and curious if the motors are going to be something regularly updated for stock in particular when they find something that works better than the current setup.

Also, I'd be curious what kind of improvements we can see in the form of protection the esc's will have against issues. Some things I'd be curious on are:

- misconnection of polarity
- Replacement of wires and power button by the user, plug and play

Also, be cool if we could see some sensorless operation options as well like other brands.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Huge congratulations to Maclan team drivers JP Richards, Travis Amezcua, and Paul Sinclair for their top 5 performances at the Midwest Winter Champs.

The largest class at the event was 2wd Modified, JP would qualify 3rd overall, including finishing 2nd overall in round 2. Travis was also on pace, posting a 3rd overall in round 3 and qualifying 6th overall. In the main events JP would record two 2nd place finishes to get a 3rd place overall finish. Travis would finish 3rd in A3, to give him 5th overall.
In 4wd. JP would lead the field in round 2 beating two IFMAR world champions and posting the fastest race time of the entire event. That would help JP to qualify 2nd overall. Travis was right on pace with a 2nd in round 3 to help him qualify 4th overall. JP would finish 3rd overall and Travis 4th overall. Maclan drivers would finish 2nd in every A Main.

Paul would qualify 5th in Modified SC, in A2 he would finish second, overall he tied for 3rd, but classified as 4th on the tie breaker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.