Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Tech Live @ the 2004 Novak US Touring Car Championship

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:17 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

...and as Gary didn't post, coverage will also be in RCDriver #4.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

...because that would have been advertising
Old 01-21-2004, 09:33 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Gary, quit being an idiot. I've seen you go into threads about foreign topics and say "Sorry to interrupt guys, but you can find more about whatever the hell it is you're talking about in the next issue of RC Driver." I know you mean well but you're pushing it.

Accusing the owner of a site of advertising on his own site is about the dumbest thing I've heard of, even if it WAS in jest.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Now children, don't make me stop this car.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Please....make the bad voices go away......
Old 01-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Tech Champion

Shane, my tongue was placed firmly in my cheek in that post. Besides, It's Troy's fault, he made me do it
Old 01-22-2004, 01:31 AM
R/C Tech Founder

I've found that most things that go wrong around here are Troy's fault!
Old 01-22-2004, 11:22 AM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by futureal
I've found that most things that go wrong around here are Troy's fault!
Yeah, like last night when tech was down for the server move - That was my fault too.....
Old 01-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, like last night when tech was down for the server move - That was my fault too.....
It's about time you start taking responsibility for your actions Troy
Old 01-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Brian McGreevy
Only half throttle troy? No wonder you were slow on foam tires

And yes, like sobottka said foam = fast.

Foam on asphalt would be cool, i think.
Foam equals fast, and fast equals FUN!!! Foam on asphalt is an absolute blast!!

Rubber tires on every surface suck in my opinion. If I wanna slide around and WAIT for my car to hook up I'll run dirt. Of course on a good blue groove track the dirt car won't even slide around.

As far as rubber being good for the hobby I disagree. I see the argument of speeds being too great on foams has been made, and I can't recall the last time I heard somene say they were quitting because their car was TOO FAST. I've seen alot of people quit because they couldn't get thier car set-up, and therefore had trouble driving it.

I contend that not only are FOAMS cheaper, but they make set-up easier for newbies. Your set-up doesn't have to be dead-on to be drivable with foams. I also argue that FOAMS make for way better racing. Traction+Rip=Big Fun

No Traction+Rip=broken car=frustrated beginner.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:49 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by CypressMidWest
Foam equals fast, and fast equals FUN!!! Foam on asphalt is an absolute blast!!

Rubber tires on every surface suck in my opinion. If I wanna slide around and WAIT for my car to hook up I'll run dirt. Of course on a good blue groove track the dirt car won't even slide around.

As far as rubber being good for the hobby I disagree. I see the argument of speeds being too great on foams has been made, and I can't recall the last time I heard somene say they were quitting because their car was TOO FAST. I've seen alot of people quit because they couldn't get thier car set-up, and therefore had trouble driving it.

I contend that not only are FOAMS cheaper, but they make set-up easier for newbies. Your set-up doesn't have to be dead-on to be drivable with foams. I also argue that FOAMS make for way better racing. Traction+Rip=Big Fun

No Traction+Rip=broken car=frustrated beginner.
I hate to turn this into a foam v.s. rubber thread, but there is no way that foam is cheaper than rubber. The only instance that this may be true is the major races where you want a new set of rubbers for every run. The only problem is, I saw a bunch of foam guys truing down foam tires, and having them as one run tires too. Where does the madness end?

For the Novak USTC, I bought all the sets of tires that were availible to me for two reasons: A. The handout tires were close to $10 cheaper than what they sell for off the shelf. B. I can use the handout tires for the reset of the year. I now have enough tires to race competitively until late summer. Honestly though, I was turning the same lap times with my two week old tires I had been using in practice than the new tires I used for the first heat.

I ran foam for a couple weeks, and in that short period of time, I spent double the amount I spent running rubber.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

you spend more, because with foam, you set up is more important, just a little, hehe. So you buy more tuning parts. And foam is cheaper than rubber. Foam tires last longer, when you don't do stupid stuff like trueing them down to 55mm?????not sure about the size. Rubber tires where out, foams do too, but not as fast. Actually, for prices between a foam and rubber tire, a foam(set of 4), is about 35-40 bucks. A rubber set is about 25 for the rubber, 5 for inserts, 10 bucks for rims, prices vary, rubber actually might be more, but then again, if you buy good foams, they cost more too.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Troy lets not turn this into a foam v. rubber thing now
Old 01-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

well, should we make a forum for this now?
Old 01-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

No Traction+Rip=broken car=frustrated beginner
That's only if you use the new math. With traditional math, the equation looks something like this:

grip+more speed due to less rolling resistance+inexperienced driver=hitting things harder breaking more part/spending more money

It's really simple. I used to be a foam tire guy myself until Tamiya switched the F103 cars to rubber tires. The cars handled more realistically, chassis setup became more important because you could just add more sauce to the end of the car that you wanted more grip on, and it was cheaper because they lasted longer and didn't chunk! AS far as your opinion that rubber tires are more expensive, how do you figure:
Take Off CS27's: $31 mounted with inserts and rims

Foams: $20 a pair for the exotic compounds
$200 for a tire truer
more money for motors and batteries as they become more important and driving becomes less important.

If you want to go fast, run 19 turn or modified. And if your car is slipping and sliding on rubber tires, maybe you should blame the setup and not the tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.