Search

GPM NTC3 centex clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 10:20 AM
mxs
Tech Adept

Default GPM NTC3 centex clutch

Hi,

does anybody have an experience with this centex clutch? How is the quality and will the stock associated gears fit?

Thanks

Marek
Old 12-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: GPM NTC3 centex clutch

Originally posted by mxs
Hi,

does anybody have an experience with this centex clutch? How is the quality and will the stock associated gears fit?

Thanks

Marek
Centax is not the problem on NTC3, your problem is "GPM", I don't recall I heard anything GOOD from GPM....

P.S....Associated gears will not fit on ANY of the centax you can find in this world, not yokomo, not mugen, not AE, not K-fact, not Hongnor, not OFna.....
Old 12-08-2004, 03:28 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

Which one is then a good one? But pls note the yokomo for 100 USD I can't afford that that's for sure.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by mxs
Which one is then a good one? But pls note the yokomo for 100 USD I can't afford that that's for sure.

Thanks
You have to find out WHY do you need centax first?

And have to work with centax before....?

Centax required works and adjustment....not a plug and play thing.

Centax required shimming...from engines to engines, not all the engines are the same...and on your engine, will need different shimming and adjustment....even though I have the exact same engine as yours, my setting will be diffferent then yours.

Try the 3 shoes clutch from AE first....

Yes, Kawahara, 3racing, OFNA, Hongnor, are all around $80 to $110 range....they are not cheap....the cheapest is MUGEN, it is NOT a direct fit, the whole setup is about $65...but then you need extra shimming on the 2 -speed gearbox as well........it required some mod to get it works, thats why it is $15-25 cheaper.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

i say you go with the FACTORY TEAM AE 3-shoe clutch assembly...i have it and its a great idea and improvment.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:52 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

I have had the AE 3 shoe clutch with hard springs for the last two seasons. It works, but I think it's to move on for something which will give me more and better adjustability and improvement overall performance through the whole season.

Why is the GPM not good. Is it because they don't have the great reputation of others or do you actually know somebody who was not happy with the clutch?
Old 12-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

i have one question for u "MXS" why are you using the harder clutch springs? wats the advantage to that besides the regular stiffness springs????bcuz right now im using the regular what will be the difference if i switched to the harder springs???????

thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by mxs
I have had the AE 3 shoe clutch with hard springs for the last two seasons. It works, but I think it's to move on for something which will give me more and better adjustability and improvement overall performance through the whole season.

Why is the GPM not good. Is it because they don't have the great reputation of others or do you actually know somebody who was not happy with the clutch?
Both...I had tried GPM stuff, horrible, almost NONE of their stuff last or fit....poor quality control, poor design, and the worst thing....poor material.

When they said "Titanium" that is = 1% Titanium with 99% plastic and mix them together....that is their so called "Titanium Universal".

If their $20 parts cannot even get everyone's approval, do you think their $80 centax will be any better...?

Sure, it might, and we will let you try it and let us know.....but again, would you?

P.S...if you want Centax, get the Yokomo one, more money but BARRY BAKER's approved.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:12 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

As far as I know the harder/stiffer springs will let the engine rtev up higher which will lead to a faster take off.Now this has been proven with mort hihg powered engines because they make the most power and torque in higher band or RPMs. So I think it all depends what engine you are running as well. Some guys go even further and lighten up their shoes which will even increase this effect. BE CAREFUL doing it, because you don't want to lighten them up too much. That would leave to a damage of your engine due to overrevving.

I hope this makes sense to you.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:18 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

Thanks RS for your reply regarding GPM.

I happened to just speak to my LHS buddy and he claims that has yet to see NTC3 which would greatly benefit from centex clutch. Other cars do much more. He told me to stick to the 3 shoe system I have, just replace shoes and get the lighter clutch bell which will for sure make difference because of the weight. Now, is that because NTC3 3 shoe clutch is so good or because 3 party centex manuf. are not that good. I am guessing that the truth is somewhere in the middle, but for the type of racing I do and the cost of top quality centex I will pass on it that's for sure.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

but wait if u have the softer springs in your clutch assembly wont it engage quicker therefore you have a quicker take off???????rather if u have the harder ones then it will take longer to take off??????????
Old 12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

No, the stiffer springs will hold the shoes off the bell for a longer time therefore higher RPMS and faster take off. I know it's easy to believe it the other way around. It's like in your big car. When do you take off faster? When you hold your clutch disengaged a little longer and give it a little bit more throttle, right (well unless you have Ferrari V10 where it probablky doesn't apply....)? So that is exactly what stiffer springs will do for you on our little r/c cars.

Makes sense?
Old 12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

oo ok i understand thanks a lot mxs
Old 12-10-2004, 12:44 AM
Tech Addict

Default the best for NTC3

this is a really good clutch and we did use it test it realy good
http://shop.the-border.nl/customer/p...00&cat=&page=5
Old 12-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: the best for NTC3

Originally posted by border r/c
this is a really good clutch and we did use it test it realy good
http://shop.the-border.nl/customer/p...00&cat=&page=5
A JP inline pipe for a NTC3?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.