Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STS engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey dino, why doesn't this motor work good with a hot plug? No problem really but I know other motors that I have work with hot plugs.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally Posted by nsxshogun
Hey dino, why doesn't this motor work good with a hot plug? No problem really but I know other motors that I have work with hot plugs.
Maybe your engine has too high compression so the ignition advanced. When you use cooler plug let the ignition delayed.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yea because I think I only have .4 shims in it.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Big engine break in problems

Hi all,

3 weeks ago I got my STS D3R. I bought the engine since I am
on a bit of a budget, but still wanted to be able to compete at
the local club. I've had no previous experience with STS, but
I thought I would try it.

I directly noticed that the engine pinched very hard at TDC without
the glowplug. I though this should not be a problem when actually
starting it (with the oil in the fuel), but I was wrong. The engine
was impossible to start on my starterbox. The piston pinched at TDC
continiously resulting in my flywheel taking a beating to turn it around.
This is way to tight for any engine I figured. I managed to borrow a
break in bench and with that I actually managed to start the engine.
After 5 tanks (~500cc) the engine felt better (temp monitoring
100-110 C if lower the engine would stop), I removed the top and
sleeve and everything looked good.

Now I installed the engine in my car again to continue breaking it in
on the track, but the engine is still way to hard to start (actually the
started wheel has now worn out), and I have not been able to
start tuning it, eventhough I run it very rich the temp rises above 120 C.
And it still pinches hard when it gets hot.

Have I got an evil engine? Should I replace it?

Any help would be apretiated, the hobbyshop
told me that STS where a bit hard to break in, but this is ridiculous.
The conrod must have taken a beating of its life, so I have bought a new
one already, but I dont dare replacing it until I can actially get the engine to
run.

please help

Best regards
Jonas Haggård
Old 06-20-2005, 02:43 AM
Tech Master

From memory it took around 2Ltrs (maybe 2.5?) to break my D5 in, a little less with the D3R.
When engine is new / tight I pre-heat the engine nice and hot with hair dryer - this expands the sleeve and makes it easier to start - also less stress on conrod/crank etc. If you still have problems after preheating you can crack the glow plug somewhat to allow some compression to escape (tighten once started)

You must have a little starter box ? The box I have has not had a problem with 2 STS .12's and a STS .21 (and a few other engines).
Old 06-20-2005, 02:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

My D3R is still a bit tight after more then 3 liters of fuel. When it was new it was a pain to start it, as soon as it stopped the piston got stuck..
Actually STS-engines are VERY competable against the other highend engines, i finished in first in the 3rd round of the Swedish Championship this weekend, only polished the engine from burrs and sharp edges.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
From memory it took around 2Ltrs (maybe 2.5?) to break my D5 in, a little less with the D3R.
When engine is new / tight I pre-heat the engine nice and hot with hair dryer - this expands the sleeve and makes it easier to start - also less stress on conrod/crank etc. If you still have problems after preheating you can crack the glow plug somewhat to allow some compression to escape (tighten once started)

You must have a little starter box ? The box I have has not had a problem with 2 STS .12's and a STS .21 (and a few other engines).
Been there done that, used a heatgun to try expanding the sleeve, helped a
little, but it pinched so hard I have worn out the flywheel when moving
it from the TDC when pinched *edit* using the same procedure as mr. nightmare describes below, that why the flywheel is now worn out */edit*. Yes, my starterbox is not big, but strong enough
to spin eventhough the engine pinches, and pinches harder than I (100 kg) can push it down. I will try loosening the plug when starting it as soon as I have got
a new wheel for my starter, but it does not explain why the engine will
stop dead (and pinch again) after a lap or two. (with very rich settings)

Originally Posted by Sparx
i finished in first in the 3rd round of the Swedish Championship this weekend, only polished the engine from burrs and sharp edges.
Then I guess you are Tommy B? congratulations to the victory! Always nice to hear the engine has potential, now I just need mine to get going. What do you mean by polish, or more precisely what have you polished?

Last edited by Haggard; 06-20-2005 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

Oh, I didn't realise you where using the starter box to get it out of the pinched position When stuck in the pinched position I would make sure engine was hot (either do it straight away if engine was running or pre-heat some more) and use a flat screwdriver on flywheel / chassis to lever it out of the stuck position.

My starter box would of wore out if I was doing that also, and its a 1/8 box...

Sparx - nice work man . My driving needs to catch up to the engine hehe
Old 06-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Also use a colder plug. It really wakes the engine up.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haggard
Then I guess you are Tommy B? congratulations to the victory! Always nice to hear the engine has potential, now I just need mine to get going. What do you mean by polish, or more precisely what have you polished?
Tommy B, yes, that's me
Only the outtake port in the sleeve got grinded a little smoother, that was the worst part, then all the ports and channels got a touch of metal polish to make it really smooth. This is really simple, i guess the engine performs just as good without these mods, it looks prettier though
Remember, every engine can be fast, if the fitting in piston and sleeve is great and if you can really tune it in it will perform just as every other highend engine.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Hi I'm from the UK and have been reading this huge thread, I've decided for the price it would be stupid not to give an sts motor a try. I've been trying to get hold of a D5R modified motor but having little luck. rc-mushroom dont have any in stock and dont seem to be replying to my emails. Projectzen's online paypal system doesnt seem to work and they wont reply to my emails also. How do you actually get a hold of one of these motors!?! is there anywhere else?

Cheers
Old 06-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

www.clevelandmodels.co.uk goto http://www.stsrc.com.tw/where2buy.php to find all of the distributers. Sometimes it takes a while to get a response from projectzen but they do give good deals when you email them.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nsxshogun
www.clevelandmodels.co.uk goto http://www.stsrc.com.tw/where2buy.php to find all of the distributers. Sometimes it takes a while to get a response from projectzen but they do give good deals when you email them.
Hi nsxshogun, just as you replied I got an email from projectzen and just as you mentioned they gave me a good deal on a motor Cool well thats the motor sorted, now to decide on a tuned pipe. Was thinkin of running an RDLogics turbo II outlaw as they seem to run great on the nova based engine, does this still apply to sts motors I wonder?

Cheers
Old 06-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I've never tested any other pipes but I have the same pipe that Hara used to win the nats so It must be good.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Apparently rc-mushroom are still waiting on shipment for STS engines (I emailed them and received reply under 3hrs). I also asked about replies to emails and was told:
If you can, can you reply to him that we do answer ALL emails. Unless the following situtation:
-our email server problem, just like happend to us last week. but this is very very rare happen on us. Talking about 2 times in 1.5years
-customers emails box is full
-customer spam email blocker (most case)
-customer email auto reply saying something like this in order to send email to this person we need to register first.
if customer doesn't see our email reply in 1-2 business day. Give us a call, we can answer your question right away. Hong Kong +852 23102568. When you decided to call us, please have someone who can speak English. It is very funny to talk to a person speaking in France while we are speaking English.
I've not had to call them but if I do I will call HK using the internet phone, will only cost me $0.03au per min ($0.0232 USD/min). Cheaper then a local call if I talk less then 10mins!

Originally Posted by Hesky
I've been trying to get hold of a D5R modified motor but having little luck. rc-mushroom dont have any in stock and dont seem to be replying to my emails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.