Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th on road electric?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Default 1/8th on road electric?

-Anyone here ever build a 1/8th on-road (serpent,mugen, kyosho) electric? I would like to build one with a big brushless and lipo pack(s). Performance HAS to be if good as if not better than a nitro 1/8th. Any suggestions on motors, speed controls, batteries. Run time not my first concern although a 15 minute 1/8th electric would be good...... Thinking of maybe using a Neu motor as they seem like quality, but don't have a clue as to what i need as far as Kv output, etc..........
Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Rc-monster.com has a forum- a gent who goes by Serum from The Netherlands did it.(very nicely) I've built a 1/8 pan car. As for motors, batteries etc, try 8,9 or 10XL-4-6s lipo and a brushless speed control of your choice. A Castle Creations MM would work if you stuck to 4s and fan cooled it. Don
Old 06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

There is an ad in the Xtreme RC mag that has a really good picture of one made electric.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Engines cost so much, a twin battery, hot brushless set up would be far cheaper.

But you'd loose that glorius sound.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

With all the fuss over the environment and the greens trying to shut down 2 stroke motors irs inevitable that 1/8th goes electric.

You will need a 3hp motor and quick change LiPo system and it would be quicker than IC for sure.

I'm sure the brushless motor guys are looking into larger motors for cars
Old 06-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ziggy12345
With all the fuss over the environment and the greens trying to shut down 2 stroke motors irs inevitable that 1/8th goes electric.
........1/8th will never be all electric............such a small # of people running 2-stroke model engines the affect on the environment is negligible............global warming is a farse...........
Old 06-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taylorm
........1/8th will never be all electric............such a small # of people running 2-stroke model engines the affect on the environment is negligible............global warming is a farse...........
All the garden machinery makers have stopped making 2stroke motors for strimmers etc.. this is becuase they are to be banned as they do not comply with the new emmision laws. this will in effect close down IC model car racing. All the governing bodies, EFRA, ROAR, BRCA are lobbying to keep IC motors on the grounds we are a small number but it doesnt look good.

And yes global warming is a farse. There is no evidence whatsoever that man is having an added effect on the naturally occuring warming of the earth after the last ice age. It was 2.5 deg c warmer in 1400 AD

The govenment wont tell you what the real problem is and thats over poulation. They cant deal with that so we have to use less of everything to keep everybody around as we all pay tax
Old 06-13-2007, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

how about:

from the novak site "and pushing over 60 mph in a 1/8th scale Kyosho® Nitro buggy that was converted to fit an electric motor, the HV4.5 is Novak’s ballistically fast next installment in Novak’s HV-series for high-voltage applications"
novak high voltage 4.5t system
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...article-id=182

and a maxamps 10,000 mah 14.8v Lipo http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=24

That would be a very interesting setup.

Global warming is real, if you doubt it you are only deceiving yourself. Instead of dismissing it, spend 10 minutes and Google it and do a little research.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My buddy has an MRX-4 brushless system...prepared by Fine Design Racing products here in NY.

Last summer we were playing around at a local track and his car had the ability to dust mine whenever he wanted to. The only difference was my set-up was better and kept me ahead of him.

From a stand still and straightline acceleration...the fuel on-road has no chance.

Not sure of his set-up by I know he had a 4000mah 3s pack and not your standard brushless system (ie: the ones we use for 1/10th sedans) Fine design is a leader in boat racing and uses the brushless technology from his race boats for his cars.

He also makes brushless systems for 1/8th buggy's and truggy's. Well worth the $$$...the speed is insane!!!!!!

I'm going to build a brushless MRX-4 using parts from an old chassis.

The coolest feature was the fact that since the car is so quiet, you can hear the air passing over the body at 60+mph as it blasting down the straights.

Max run time at speed was around 7-8 minutes. Really cool IMO!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PeteB

Global warming is real, if you doubt it you are only deceiving yourself. Instead of dismissing it, spend 10 minutes and Google it and do a little research.
.........believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.........the research that proves global warming is real is done by scientists that receive funding from the government..........now if you look at independent studies by scientists not on the government payroll the facts look different? if it was found to not be true by government "scientists" do you think they would still have a job?.........funding could then be cut..........of course they SAY global warming is real, they want to keep their jobs.....RC IC engines will not be phased out like 2 smoke weedeaters, leaf blowers, etc......there is no reason to ban them because usage is so low as compared to total use of IC engines........
Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

I have searched for the last 2 years and found no evidence that man is having a significant effect on the global temp. Its all a load of tosh

Cheers
Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

how about:

from the novak site "and pushing over 60 mph in a 1/8th scale Kyosho® Nitro buggy that was converted to fit an electric motor, the HV4.5 is Novak’s ballistically fast next installment in Novak’s HV-series for high-voltage applications"
novak high voltage 4.5t system
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...article-id=182

and a maxamps 10,000 mah 14.8v Lipo http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=24

That would be a very interesting setup.

750 watts is only 1HP so about half the power needed for a 1/8th car
Old 06-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

You don't need the same amount of " horsepower" a gas car has. A good brushless/ lipo power system with much less " horsepower" can easily run with gas cars because all the available power is " under the curve". This is continually being demonstrated by folks running 1/8 converted 4wd dirt buggies- they easily run with or beat the gas cars. Don
Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DLS II
You don't need the same amount of " horsepower" a gas car has. A good brushless/ lipo power system with much less " horsepower" can easily run with gas cars because all the available power is " under the curve". This is continually being demonstrated by folks running 1/8 converted 4wd dirt buggies- they easily run with or beat the gas cars. Don
....what kind of performance could be expected by putting 2 540 size modifieds in a 1/8th on road with 2 7 cell pasks? do you guys think performance with such a setup would equal a .21? :tire would probably be cheaper than a big brushless and lipos??
Old 06-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Actually, it would be easier using a 8,9 or 10XL and a 4-6s lipo. The hot brushed modifieds would heat up very quickly and the 7-cell nimh wouldn't be much better off. Like I said in my earlier post, there is a gent named Serum in the RC-Monster forum who converted a 1/8 4wd on road and he used a brushless, 4s lipo and a Castle MM. I'm currently reconfiguring my 1/8 pan car. It now has a 10L brushless, Schulze 18.61 controller and I'm waiting for my A123 SPT kits to come in. Those will be set up 4s saddle pack. I'm quite sure it will be capable of 60-70 mph. My driving skills are another story!!! Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.