Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy Springs Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Arrow Buggy Springs Opinions

Alright I'm just curious and looking for some opinions. Kyosho obviously makes a good spring but that price can be pocket busting to say the least. For the budget minded racer what are some comparable springs? Avid? Losi? Associated?

What is it about Kyosho springs that seems to put them above the rest?

I know some may argue that more track time would be of greater importance then spring quality, but that is not the intension of this thread.

Also in more specificity, I am looking for the closest match to Red Kyosho front 1/10 buggy springs but at better price. I've looked at spring rate comparisons, but I'm open to brands based on a price<quality ratio. Opinions are encouraged!

Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

To be honest,
I'm not sure how or why the Kyosho springs (and big bore shocks for that matter) are or have become the benchmark for many racers/Mfg.'s. The 1/10th springs are for sure some of the most expensive springs I've bought (cost more than their 1/8th springs). Only thing I can think of as to why, in part, is that the springs aren't made by Kyosho directly. X-gear makes them for Kyosho and is likely one of the few things Kyosho doesn't make for themselves. So I'm guessing that's part of the why they cost so much. As for the the quality or why the quality is so much better, I don't have a clue.

In a pinch if I didn't have the Kyosho springs I wanted/needed on hand,
I have used all of the afore mentioned above at one point or another. It got me by for that time I needed them. I think the closest ones I've found to the Kyosho are the Losi low freq. springs. Don't know what's all that different with them over the regular Losi springs, but the low freq. "felt" close to the Kyosho's. Are the differences between springs really enough to tell? I know I don't or haven't always been able to, but I do tend to revert back to Kyosho springs when I have the ones I need (which now I have all of them. Lol) and don't really use all the rest I have in the box.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have the G force spring gauge and have been playing with spring tensions and such. I have all of the Kyosho, Losi, and Associted springs, and the Yokomo green rears. Through checking them all, I have found Associated to be the the farthest of in pairs. Most manufacturers use lb/in for rate measurements, and y checker reads in Nm/cm. Regardless, I have checked all of them and some of my Associated springs have been as far as a couple different rates off in a pair. Just for example, I have a pair of white front Associated springs. Between the two, one is as stiff as a yellow front. So that pair is incredibly mismatched. By comparison, my Kyosho springs are much closer in rates for a pair. Losi are kind of in between. Personally, I run Kyosho and Losi springs on my car. Currently on an indoor clay track (OCRC raceway) I run gold front and either pink or white rears. This is with a laydown transmission and a total car weight of about 1530-1540 grams.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
To be honest,
I'm not sure how or why the Kyosho springs (and big bore shocks for that matter) are or have become the benchmark for many racers/Mfg.'s. The 1/10th springs are for sure some of the most expensive springs I've bought (cost more than their 1/8th springs). Only thing I can think of as to why, in part, is that the springs aren't made by Kyosho directly. X-gear makes them for Kyosho and is likely one of the few things Kyosho doesn't make for themselves. So I'm guessing that's part of the why they cost so much. As for the the quality or why the quality is so much better, I don't have a clue.

In a pinch if I didn't have the Kyosho springs I wanted/needed on hand,
I have used all of the afore mentioned above at one point or another. It got me by for that time I needed them. I think the closest ones I've found to the Kyosho are the Losi low freq. springs. Don't know what's all that different with them over the regular Losi springs, but the low freq. "felt" close to the Kyosho's. Are the differences between springs really enough to tell? I know I don't or haven't always been able to, but I do tend to revert back to Kyosho springs when I have the ones I need (which now I have all of them. Lol) and don't really use all the rest I have in the box.
Seems to be the case for a lot of people. Thanks for your input

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
I have the G force spring gauge and have been playing with spring tensions and such. I have all of the Kyosho, Losi, and Associted springs, and the Yokomo green rears. Through checking them all, I have found Associated to be the the farthest of in pairs. Most manufacturers use lb/in for rate measurements, and y checker reads in Nm/cm. Regardless, I have checked all of them and some of my Associated springs have been as far as a couple different rates off in a pair. Just for example, I have a pair of white front Associated springs. Between the two, one is as stiff as a yellow front. So that pair is incredibly mismatched. By comparison, my Kyosho springs are much closer in rates for a pair. Losi are kind of in between. Personally, I run Kyosho and Losi springs on my car. Currently on an indoor clay track (OCRC raceway) I run gold front and either pink or white rears. This is with a laydown transmission and a total car weight of about 1530-1540 grams.
Yeah, this is something I've heard. Kyosho springs tend to be the more consistent ones of the bunch. From what I've heard most factory drivers even divert to the yoshi springs.

This page really springs... lol springs... from my personal need of more spring options in my tool box. I've had great experience with the Kyosho springs but they break the bank. I suppose its better to spend more and buy something that works great once then to buy something that wont suffice and need to buy again.

If anyones got some used kyosho big bore buggy springs they wouldnt mind parting ways with I'd be interested. lolz