Wiki Posts
Search

Battery bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Battery bars

Hi everyone, i would like to learn and hear more stuff about battery bars...in the current market we could see numerous battery bar is available and the battery is important item. CAn anyone tell me more about it...etc like is the plating of battery bar is important, as i can they are copper, silver, gold,and platinum? the platinum is far the most expensive and does the plating have real effect??? or just marketing hype
Old 01-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well EngTat team huricane has the best bat bars around they have the best contact to your cell thus having more power on the track you can find them at http://www.teamhurricane.net/index.html for like 4 bucks or some thing there realy great
Old 01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

I appreciate you may be sponsored by them, but what makes the team hurricane any better than others??

I like either the trinity bars or the orion gold bones....

In theory gold offers a comprimise between conductivity and resistance to corrosion.

The nickle/silver ones seem fine.....

If someone can actually tell me they can feel a difference in ANY of them...I would be surprised.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Team Orion / Peak Battery bars have a "step" on it so that the bar will stay flat since positive pole is usually higher than Negative pole. I tried Deans Pro Bar but they are bigger than Team Orion ones.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

After what I learned in Chemistry this year, here's the deal with the plating: When you have a metallic bond (metal with metal), the protons and neutrons remain in the middle of the metal, while the electrons gather on the outside of the metal, creating this "sea of electrons" effect. The electrons are completely free, and they switch atoms at random, so there are no definate electrons surrounding a given atom. So what does this mean? Since it is ELECTRONS that carry electricity, this means that electricity only flows on the surface of metal. Therefore, there would be no difference between a solid gold bar vs a golf plated bar, or solid platinum vs, plated platinum, etc. Now- whether or not gold plating is better than platinum, is arguable. I personally prefer gold because with platinum, you get all kinds of corrosion. But corrosion and side affects aside, I think even the best would not be able to tell a difference between platinum and gold. I think reliability and rigidity trumps performance in this case. So stick with bars that don't break, and don't corrode.
-Josh
Old 01-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Dude, what?

Of course the metal effects it. Even if you are sayng that the electricity only goes around the edge (which is incorrect, far too simplistic an answer so I suggest you take physics as well as chemistry) the impedance of the metal contributes to the current flow.

If the voltage is the same, the resistance in the material becomes the main varying factor in current flow.

conducivity of the material is of huge importance, however, in this case the variance between the options available is minimal in my opinion
Old 01-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BritRacer
Dude, what?

Of course the metal effects it. Even if you are sayng that the electricity only goes around the edge (which is incorrect, far too simplistic an answer so I suggest you take physics as well as chemistry) the impedance of the metal contributes to the current flow.

If the voltage is the same, the resistance in the material becomes the main varying factor in current flow.

conducivity of the material is of huge importance, however, in this case the variance between the options available is minimal in my opinion
too many big words for this dumb american - i just use the deans battery bars... i do however like the look and the size of hurricane/promatch battery bars....
Old 01-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BritRacer
Dude, what?

Of course the metal affects it. And if you mean "edge" as in the whole surface, then I am not incorrect. Feel free to PM me your source of info. I could do a little reading over the remaining Christmas break. Obviously one metal has more resistance than the other. I was just pointing out the fact that there is no difference between a bar plated in a substance than a bar made of that whole substance, throwing away the notion that a solid gold bar is better than copper that's gold plated. And I did agree when I said "I think even the best would not be able to tell a difference between platinum and gold." If you really feel the need to see if platinum is better than gold, buy a pack of bars and whip out the voltimeter. While the voltimeter may show a difference, I doubt your laptimes will.
-Josh

EDIT: BritRacer, I take physics next year.

Last edited by josh69162; 01-06-2006 at 09:49 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

I agree, plating is different from solid metals. BUT you stated that the internal metal did not affect things at all. This is untrue.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

Well then if electricty travels on the surface then how can the internal metal affect it? Please explain.
-Josh
Old 01-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

now where did i put my gold plated popsicle sticks

(no real value, just had to. i use deans bars)
Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

There is much more to electroplating and anodization that what you learn in one day elementary chemistry....

If the current would only be carried through the plating surface (plating) the resistance and current handling capabilities would be AWFUL...
The plating is so thin that it is mainly for LOOKS. You are talking microns…
I am not going to get into the chemistry and physics, but if the current would be handled only by the plating, you could only support milliamps, not currents in excess of 50A.

The most important thing with solder bars is the connection from the bar to the battery.
You can have solid GOLD BARS but if the solder joint is bad, the advantages of the GOLD would be wasted...

There IS NO DIFFERENCE between ANY OF THE GOOD BARS OUT THERE.

I sell bars and I AM NOT PROMOTING OUR BARS...
Just buy any good solder bar and USE GOOD SOLDER AND SOLDERING TECHNIQUES.

How many of you have actually measured the voltage drop across the bar...That alone will tell you which bar is the BEST ONE.
If you have two batteries that you can throw away do this test:
Take two batteries, connect the two of them with one battery bar and then use a 0.01 ohm resistor to close the ciorcuit, then measure the voltage across the battery bar. Assuming that you have 2.4 volts, the bar would have 24 AMPS flowing across it. Divide the voltage drop by the current and that will give you an aproximation of the bar' resistance.

As long as your solder connection is done the RIGHT WAY, there is MINIMAL DIFFERENCE. You develop a larger voltage drop across the battery/solder bar connection than across the entire solder bar.

And BTW, there are more chances of corrosion due to the use of ROSIN FLUX than from anything else in the bars. ROSIN RETAINS WATER and in humid places the accumulation of condensation creates a corrosive environment.

IMO
Old 01-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Electricity flows on the surface of each metal, not the surface of the bar. So if you have a gold plated copper bar, electricity will flow along the surface of the copper and the surface of the gold.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Old 01-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Batt Man - give up man.... its like beating a dead horse with some people. Some people dont have a clue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.