Search

Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Problem

Gday Guys,
I have an FW05S with 2 speed transmission. Everything works great but occasionally as im accellerating out of corners something slips and the car revs right out and it loses all its drive power, this only lasts a few seconds before it seems to catch again and i can keep driving.

I know it sounds like the gear mesh between the engine and transmission is stuffed for sure, but i know for sure that isnt the problem.

Anyone else experienced this before or anyone with any suggestions please let me know as its starting to really annoy me. Ive taken it apart a few times and cant see anything obvious.

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks
Old 03-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sounds like the one-way bearing in the first gear housing is starting to slip on the shaft. You may get away with just cleaning it with some denatured alcohol and then oiling it with some light oil. You may however and probably eventually will have to get a new housing and/or shaft for it.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

I think u may be right.. but how do i know if the one way is buggered or the shaft? Would the shaft have signs of wear? ive taken them apart and they seem ok, although im sure its different when the engine is turning it....The 1st gear housing is quite old now...
thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-05-2006, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

If you replace the one-way, I'd replace the shaft as well.

It may look ok but if you look real close the surface of the shaft will be damaged as well and your new one-way won't last as long as if should.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:14 AM
Tech Adept

When u buy the shaft, do u get the sleeve that goes on it? doesnt look like it....? cause there would be no point in buying a new shaft when the one way bearing only touches the sleeve that goes on the shaft.. I hope u know which sleeve im talking about..
Attached Thumbnails Problem-fw05012.jpg  
Old 03-05-2006, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

No not completly familiar with the car but I'd say the two speed one-way design wouldn't be too far removed from then RRR.

A one-way operates on a sleeve that goes onto the main shaft (right or wrong)?

Either way if you need to replace a two speed one-way (especially if it's a bit used) the shaft that it directly operates on should be replace as well so both surfaces are new and will operate as such. Other wise you will chop out a new one-way very quickly.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Before you replace anything, try cleaning out the oneway bearing and shaft with motorspray and relube with a small amount of silicone diff grease and test. Any other lube other than silicone diff grease is too slippery.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Yes i would say it is deffinatly the oneway bearing. Try getting a better bearing not the RTR one as this happened with mine.