Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
First truggy advice? >

First truggy advice?

First truggy advice?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Default First truggy advice?

Hey guys,
Let me start by saying I'm glad to be part of the forums, a couple people from RCU recommended I come over here to get better help getting started with truggies.

I'm new to the truggy section, but not really nitros. (About 6 years ago I bought my first T-maxx... Big mistake. I switched to an upgraded Revo later on and had better luck.) Also I've had experience with electrics on and off since I was a kid.

I got out of the hobby at the beginning of 2008, and am now interested in jumping back in. When I left, I had a BB Revo that I liked to race recreationally.

After talking to a few people on the forums, I've decided that a truggy would suit me better than another MT. But I've never really had any experience with one, so I'm going to ask some very newbie questions.

1) What are the competitive chassis setups today? I have heard good things about the 8ight 2.0T, but other than that I'm in

2) How much is a basic setup going to cost me? I'm really just dabbling in racing, so I don't feel the need to go all out, but I don't want to cut corners.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

There's several solid platforms to choose from.

Xray XT8
Mugen MBX6T
Hot Bodies D8T
Associated RC8T
Losi 8.0T
and several more, go with what you like best.

Price ranges heavily for a full setup, it all depends on what you want and how far you want to take it. It's easily possibly to build a capable truggy for half of what you could spend with high end components. You don't need to spend $500 on a motor. There's several in the $200 range that are more than fast enough. You don't need a $400 radio either. Get a solid kit and don't skimp on servos.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

it will be hard to spend under 1000$ on a truggy with a starter box (no radio, kit, two servos, motor, pipe and starter box).

The 8ight-T 2.0 RTR is the best bang for your buck to get into it if you dont have a good radio or starter box. but the servo will die on you, and the 454 is not bad but the carb is not the best to tune.

Hot Bodies D8T is the best bang for your buck for a kit

IMO
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I bought a used Jammin X1 CRT from a local racer as a ready to run minus radio, receiver and gas, which I had. It wasn't the most capable/best chassis around, but as a beginner truggy it did the job. All the truggies listed about are great truggies. Depending on your budget and what you already have possibly finding or going used may be the way to go. I do know the Muegen MBX6 is definitely a great truggy and can be found new or used.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redrawker
Hey guys,
Let me start by saying I'm glad to be part of the forums, a couple people from RCU recommended I come over here to get better help getting started with truggies.

I'm new to the truggy section, but not really nitros. (About 6 years ago I bought my first T-maxx... Big mistake. I switched to an upgraded Revo later on and had better luck.) Also I've had experience with electrics on and off since I was a kid.

I got out of the hobby at the beginning of 2008, and am now interested in jumping back in. When I left, I had a BB Revo that I liked to race recreationally.

After talking to a few people on the forums, I've decided that a truggy would suit me better than another MT. But I've never really had any experience with one, so I'm going to ask some very newbie questions.

1) What are the competitive chassis setups today? I have heard good things about the 8ight 2.0T, but other than that I'm in

2) How much is a basic setup going to cost me? I'm really just dabbling in racing, so I don't feel the need to go all out, but I don't want to cut corners.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I started the same way. First bashing a tmaxx, then racing a revo. Put a BB in it and finally converted it to electric. This year I built a RC8T with the tekno v4 conversion. I have about $2200 in it including the radio, motor, esc, servos, batterys, transponder, charger, etc. that I took off my revo. I have practiced with it a couple of times, and love it. Pretty much all the popular brands make good truggys. Maybe someone at your local track would be nice enough to let you drive theirs to see if you like it. A friend of mine let me drive his 8ight-t a while back and I loved it, but I felt that the RC8T was better to convert to electric.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Best advice would probably be to get a used truggy of some sort. Its absolute best value for money.
Should also try and get something thats fairly common at your local track, so you can ask the pros about setups and what not.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Prophet

if, you get the eight-t 2.0 new than yes plan on spending close to $1000 but if you get a "rc8t ce" or a "d8t" it shouldnt be near that theres good "nitro engines" out there for $200 and servos i use for $98.00 that are coreless diginal servos and i never had them go bad on me on my truggys.

just set the epa on throttle and steering up right and they will last.

but i agree if you want to spend the least money than get the d8t .
Old 02-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if you dont have a good radio, and want the best truggy, buy the losi.The rodio sells for 2-300, and it will be the last radio you will buy.The 454 makes power but prolly isnt race material.

Buy a 8t, 2 savox servos, and replace the motor when it gets tired, and youve got the bees knees.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

There are several options available, but whatever you decide to do, do it right from the start. I know it is a lot of money at first, but quality equipment will last a lot longer than cheaper stuff.

If I were you, and knowing what I know now (and this is assuming you don't have radio equipment) I would either buy the Losi 2.0 RTR and upgrade the servos or buy a really nice used roller, buy 2 used quality servos, buy a new engine, buy a good used radio and RX, a good used ofna blue box.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Whoa thanks for all the replies!

I'm leaning in the same direction as most of the people are suggesting - which is going with a used truggy and fixing it up. I'm not a die-hard racer but I would like to be competitive.

Price is a major factor. I'd 'like' to stay around $600 but I don't know if that's realistic or not.

I have found a few nicer used truggys on eBay that I'm watching real close.

How does the 8ight T 1.0 compare to the 2.0? I found a good looking one of those for pretty cheap.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

for the best bang for the buck check out tamiya's scratch and dent section

i also sent you a pm
Old 02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Redrawker
Whoa thanks for all the replies!

I'm leaning in the same direction as most of the people are suggesting - which is going with a used truggy and fixing it up. I'm not a die-hard racer but I would like to be competitive.

Price is a major factor. I'd 'like' to stay around $600 but I don't know if that's realistic or not.

I have found a few nicer used truggys on eBay that I'm watching real close.

How does the 8ight T 1.0 compare to the 2.0? I found a good looking one of those for pretty cheap.

the, eight-t 1.0 might be hard to find i got my used a long time ago from a racer its kind of "competive" for club racing but you do have to drive it hard to catch guys with 2.0 t and newer truggys i notice when i drove my on the track .

i changed the roller chassis to the tft flex chassis and it made it more competive with the driving also.

so a used 2.0 t is what i would remmend shooting for .
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would go with the Hot bodies. For around $330 its brand new. If you buy a used kit it may be all ok, but it also may cost a lot to replace worn out parts, which will add up very fast.

Good luck! Its a great hobby

Lance
RcRenew.com
Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Take a look at this..... This is kinda the deal you might be looking for. Just always make sure they have high rating, don't be afraid to ask for a phone number if you are truely interested, when dealing with something priced this high.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ots-parts.html
Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cloud9graffix
Take a look at this..... This is kinda the deal you might be looking for. Just always make sure they have high rating, don't be afraid to ask for a phone number if you are truely interested, when dealing with something priced this high.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ots-parts.html
looks like a great deal...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.