Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)
Default What would you do?

I bought a car package from a seller on these forums recently that included a rolling 10th scale sedan roller, two used bodies and an AM radio set. I sent payment and asked for the USPS tracking number.

The seller replies with a tracking number, but he shipped UPS instead of USPS. The brokerage fees and extra costs that all couriers charge to ship from the US to Canada where I live are insane. I knew I was in for more costs on delivery.

UPS delivered my $100 shipped package deal today and I got stung for another $46.46 in fees. The charges are brokerage fees, taxes on the brokerage fees and taxes charged at the border on the declared value.

The car is OK and the two used bodies useable but the transmitter and receiver are on different frequencies. Not good.

I'm fine with the taxes charged by Canada Customs, but I think the seller should cover the brokerage fees. What do you think?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

being in the mail order business, I do know what you're talking about. We always suggest to our Canadian customers that we ship their orders by US Mail, for the specific reasons that you noted.

The seller likely did not have any idea about these issues. Did you make it perfectly clear to the seller that you wanted it shipped via USM (besides just asking for a USM tracking number)? If so, then seller should be taking care of his mistake. If not, you can't really blame him on this part of the deal.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've shipped to Canada a few times. I did it via UPS the first couple of times for my protection with the tracking number. The buyers never objected to the additional costs.

The last time I shipped, the buyer informed me of the additional fees you mentioned, and asked me if I would ship usps. Since I had not yet shipped, I had no problem with it. It was cheaper for me, too.

Next time, you should be clear from the outset that you prefer USPS if you don't want the extra charges. Sellers don't know if you don't tell them. He was being cautious and prudent, so he can't be faulted for you not clarifying.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LaTuFu
I've shipped to Canada a few times. I did it via UPS the first couple of times for my protection with the tracking number. The buyers never objected to the additional costs.

The last time I shipped, the buyer informed me of the additional fees you mentioned, and asked me if I would ship usps. Since I had not yet shipped, I had no problem with it. It was cheaper for me, too.

Next time, you should be clear from the outset that you prefer USPS if you don't want the extra charges. Sellers don't know if you don't tell them. He was being cautious and prudent, so he can't be faulted for you not clarifying.
+1000
Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Tech Champion

It seems the seller only thought that I prefered USPS over anything else and decided to use what was easiest for him. The extra cost is still a bitter pill to swallow and I will have to be more diligent to advise sellers with future deals to use USPS only or no deal.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

This is some good information to know.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hotrod87
This is some good information to know.
If you ever have to ship from the USA into Canada the best and only way to ship is through USPS postal mail. Delivery times are as good as anything else and often better than couriers and they are less expensive.

Couriers like UPS must process packages through Customs and that means brokerage fees will apply. This also provides Customs the opportunity to add on taxes, which in my case in Ontario is 13% of the declared value.

Luckily, the Canadian dollar is valued slightly higher today and the $100 USD declared value calculated to $99.26 for Customs purposes. I was charged no duty (hooray!), but they did apply the 13% tax for an amount due of $12.90 Cdn.

The bad news is the $29.70 flat brokerage fee plus the 13% tax at $3.86 for an additional total due of $33.56 making the total due $46.46.

Considering the original $100 deal, adding on almost 50% more in other fees is outrageous.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default ouch

UPS / FedEx prices are nuts. Did you know even they use USPS to ship their packages because their prices are too high! (Friend is a postmaster)

Not sure why anyone would use UPS over USPS unless you just dont like money, but meh to each their own haha. Ive sent several things to canada and tons in the states with usps and never once had any issues.

Sorry you had to learn an expensive lesson but I agree, you should have made it clear to your seller that shipping via ups would sting you for crazy fees. Especially since most Americans dont know much about Canada alone, much less that you would get added fees for using a shipping option.

Go Canada!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

FYI this works both ways. Ive done deals with folks in Canada and got banged here also. One particular deal the items were only $30. The UPS brokerage fee was $32 and the customs fee was like $3. I paid more in the brokerage fees than the item was worth! Never use UPS for international shipping unless you fill outt he customs forms yourself and pay the customs fees upfront.