Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC and RC Tech forum (relatively) and saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up New to RC and RC Tech forum (relatively) and saying hello

Just started getting into RC for the first time several months ago. During my younger years, a good friend of mine used to build run nitro cars, and I always wanted to get into RC cars, but I never had enough money to buy one for myself and my parents weren't willing to help me out.

My friend died in an accident over a year and a half ago and I guess his death reminded me how much I enjoyed the time he spent letting me drive his cars and showing me a little bit about how they work. I guess part of why I'm getting into RC now is a tribute to his life and friendship.

I bought my first RC car kit (tamiya M05) last winter, but only recently acquired the transmitter and receiver to drive it. After making some minor rookie mistakes, I finally got everything all set up.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out after calibrating the ESC and binding the receiver to the transmitter why it won't go in reverse.

I have greatly appreciated all of the help I have been given by members of this forum and am looking forward to becoming more than just a novice at this hobby.

Peace.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Welcome to rctech . Hope you enjoy
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey there!

RCTECH, in my opinion is one of the most valuable resources for RC information. Just browse its forums and you will be well acquainted with many members who are just as passionate about RC, whether its racing, bashing or just for display.

Welcome to the RCTECH universe
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Welcome to the addiction, er, I mean hobby.

Your ESC might be in forward/brake only mode. Seems the most likely scenario. If you ever get into racing, you'll need to be in this mode. Reverse isn't allowed on tracks, but for just mucking about on the road, you can usually set the esc to fwd/brake/delayed reverse. If you also have an option for simply fwd/rev, go with the delayed reverse. Some ESCs hook up to a computer to adjust these things. Some have a controller box you hook up to adjust settings. Some you can adjust using buttons on the esc itself. Some are adjustable by more than one of these options and some aren't adjustable at all.

Which ESC is it?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by locked

Your ESC might be in forward/brake only mode. Seems the most likely scenario. If you ever get into racing, you'll need to be in this mode. Reverse isn't allowed on tracks, but for just mucking about on the road, you can usually set the esc to fwd/brake/delayed reverse. If you also have an option for simply fwd/rev, go with the delayed reverse. Some ESCs hook up to a computer to adjust these things. Some have a controller box you hook up to adjust settings. Some you can adjust using buttons on the esc itself. Some are adjustable by more than one of these options and some aren't adjustable at all.

Which ESC is it?
Thanks for the message. The ESC is the kit issued TEU-101BK for the Tamiya M05. I looked at the instructions and I think I calibrated it properly since the indicator light on the ESC responds how it should when the trigger is in the neutral forward or reverse position.

I am currently using a Venom 8181 VR3T 2.4 GHz 3-Channel Transmitter, and as far as I can tell, I have calibrated it properly to the ESC and binded it correctly to the receiver. I have also checked the polarity and channel settings on the receiver to make sure that isn't the problem either.

Perhaps I need to check the setting for racing mode and make sure that it is off on both the ESC and the transmitter. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by locked

Which ESC is it?
Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for welcoming me and for your help. I also wanted to let you all know that I figured out what the issue is. I thought that when I calibrated the ESC that I had turned on the reverse function, but apparently I didn't. I went through all of the instructions again and re-calibrated the ESC and I made sure that I had the reverse function set for 'on' and now it is working beautifully!

Really appreciate everyone's suggestions and help with this, and for your willingness to help out a rookie who is clearly making some beginner mistakes.

Best wishes all
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

welcome back....