Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top Driving Styles: Using Brakes and Drag Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Top Driving Styles: Using Brakes and Drag Brakes

I'm not sure how to state this question because I have quite a few questions regarding drag brake settings and actually using the brakes.

First, what's the theory behind choosing a drag brake setting? I'm sure this varies some with driving styles and preferences. Now that I'm running brushless it doesn't seem to have the same drag brake or cogging the brushed motors do. That's adding some more confusion. Some of the fast guys at the local track seem to suggest running little to no drag brake. How much weight should transfer if any to the front under neutral throttle or should it just coast?

My other related question is about using brakes? I would assume the top drivers actually use the brakes. Right now I just rely on the drag brake for forward weight transfer. How about Joe club racer? Do you use brakes? Can you rely on drag brake alone for forward weight transfer should you really start to learn braking to be a "fast guy".

Thanks for looking. I hope to get some good driving theory discussion out of this.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I'll probably get you all PO'd

One of the best threads I've seen in a while. I'm so tired of "what should I buy", "how can I make my car pop wheelies" blah, blah, blah.

As a beginner, I relied heavily on drag brake. It helped me turn in, it kept me from applying too much brake and swapping ends. Unfortunatly it made me slow. As you know, 50%-80% of our lap time is spent in the corners. Corner speed, and exit speed are everything. You've seen the fast guys.

Now I set my drag brake one CH from creeping forward. My braking EPA is set so I can HAMMER the brake on the hardest braking point of the track, without swapping. Sometimes, it seems like I have no brakes. What it did was force me to smooth out my driving style, help me carry corner speed, and make my car feel real fast.(more fun!)

Because we can't brake, and gas at the same time, all of our braking should be done just before the end of the "turn in phase", from there we need to roll to the apex, and be set up to really apply throttle. (imagine a simple turn)

I don't really count on this thread, because my car is a truck, and I race off road. Could never afford to maintain both hobbies. That's for sure.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Right now I'm running the GTB 4300. I'm running the #4 40% Drag brake profile. I have enough steering in my car that I have creep dialed into it. I know that sounds crazy with a brushless, but the more agressive steering the more creep. Its the fastest through the turns that I've found. The less steering more drag brake. Drag help's if your needing to tuck a tight corner or if the cars pushing, but hitting the brake's is more controlable. Your right about one thing, driver is the biggest part. You'll have to try them both drag in. And steer in. Both methods can be affective. For me lots of steering with lots of creep. Drag break will transfer the wieght quicker. Makes throwing the car easier, An out of towner came out one weekend and handed it to us all using drag brake, he was throwing that car through the turns and was able to put it anywhere he wanted it. So try it. Drag has its advantages. Good luck.
Great topic.
Joe club. 10 year's. <<<<<<

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-12-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'll just add that I've tryed about every radio set up you can imagine. Some time's at the cost of winning some time's at the cost of looseing. To all I would say try every possible thing you can with your radio set up till you find a good feel to yourself, Radio,tx,and car. Once you get it just right It make's it more fun to drive it. Club night's are for exsperimenting with other fella's at the track and haveing A good time doing it. And when the big race's are there, your more prepared to put the spank'n down.
I'd say exsperiment exsperiment.
I sure wish the pro's would wake up and get on here.

Joe club: 10 year's
Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Another Joe Club, first year rookie...I learned about drag brake from the TQ driver at our track. He took a LOT of time to first explain to me and then to help me set up my car/radio. Yes brushless and stock have very different characteristics when using drag brake. I agree with previous posts, experiment.

I find that I can't 'throw' my finger fast enough from throttle to neutral to brake in the time it takes my car to actually complete the tight corners at our local track so I rely heavily on drag brake to first slow me down as I approach the corners and then to reset my car and throw the weight to the front to really give me a good tight turning radius.

My idle turn diameter is about 4 feet, drag brake @ 40% into a turn is easily 1-1/2 foot diameter. Really gets me around the corners well.

I am still experimenting with different settings.

Regards
Allan
Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Never used brakes for on-road.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by R/C Anonymous
Never used brakes for on-road.
Does that mean you just use the drag brake to transfer weight forward? That's how I currently have things set up but I'm going to start experimenting with using brakes (forward trigger) vs. just letting off the throttle. A little more than one sentence would add to the discussion.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

I dont use drag brakes either. The throttle finger is either 100% or 75% from maximum 99% of the time.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Good topic. I just ran my GTB/13.5 for the first time last weekend and I was having trouble in tight turns. I thought it was just my driving (I'm sure some of it was ). I never knew the change that no drag braking would make in my steering. I was having to slow down way before the 180 turn at the end of the straight to make the turn. I will change my ESC setting now to see if that helps. I learned something new today.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Like it was said before, experiment, experiment, experiment

Personally i like a litle drag break with one-way for fast flowing tracks. I set it to the point where the rear almost breaks loose. this way i have consistent brakes during the race and a litle more turn in.

how much drag brake depends on driver, track, setup and (on rubber/asphalt) time of day (more traction usually means ---> more drag brake)
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Depending on which motor...
Stock, I do not use drag or radio brake. Free wheel baby....
19T, I use 1 click of drag (LRP speedo) and maybe stab brake (radio)
Nitro, I use only stab brake

I know many people that with elec. they do not use the stab brake, but setup drag in the speedo.

It comes down to you and what you are comfortable with. In the end both have it's place and time. I like use drag when I know I have to always have a little brake because of the motor, I use Stab when I want to control when and how much.

Sorry... This is very good point others are making... you need to use roll out and roll in on the throttle, this is very key and very important.. Just grip and rip is not helpful...

Last edited by bvoltz; 01-09-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

creep. or just let the throttle go to neutral when entering in turn.than start from 20% throttle near the apex to hold you line then go full comming out when your tires is centered.(dont go full throttle facing the pipes )

ohh i run stock brushless by the way
Old 01-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

good topic, I myself have been wonering just how much to trun as well. but im assuming all of the responces are from touring drivers. How about some 1/12th guys? I think i have my TX set to 70% for braks and that seems to be good, but im not sure where to set my drag, or if I even need them.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I never use drag brake. I add creep for 19tun and stock, neutral for mod.

Braking for me depends on the track and each particular corner.

Oh, and if you dont think you use brakes while driving, turn your brake EPA to 0% and find out, you'll be surprised
Old 01-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

I run 1/12 Scale 19Turn and I use no brakes at all, but I tend to use a little brake when I am setting up lapped traffic in the main.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.