Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Receiver pack...need some info

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Lipo Receiver pack...need some info

I tried to search for my answers about lipo receiver packs but came up empty. Here are the questions:

1. Which brand is better? I have read about some people having failures with different brands. I am interested in stability and safety first and foremost, so I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for piece of mind.

2. How much capacity do I need for a truggy and 1/8 buggy? We run 3 5-min quals and 15-min A mains.

3. Are all voltage regulators the same or is there any specs or features I should be looking for?

4. I have an Ice charger. Will this be sufficient or should I purchase a dedicated lipo charger?

5. I am between transmitters right now (dropped my JR Z-1 and broke it ). Since my JR and the temporary Spektrum DX3.0 appear to have the same size battery area, can I buy one for use until I get a better radio down the road and then switch it over?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anything over 800mah should last you a race day easy. Your Ice charger will work really good. I can't answer your other quesitons.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been using Lipo reciever and transmitter packs for over a year now. All have been VXR Racing packs.

1. I have only had experience with one brand www.vxrracing.com however it has all been good. They make Lipos in all shapes and sizes and have them specifically for recievers unlike other brands.

2. I have a 2200 and a 1300. I find the 1300 gets me through a club meet no problem.

3. You should look for two things. a) Voltage output, i like 6.5v 2)amps, I use 5amp versions.

4. Ice will be fine. I use a Swallow Pro.

5. Depends on what radio you plan on getting. I would just wait until you pick your radio. I use a 3PK. My lipo is great in it.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

here is a good place to get both the packs you are looking for http://www.teamhelotes.com/catalog/c18_p1.html, myself i run the 2600 non lipo RX pack in my Xray XB8, and the 1500 hump pack in my Jammin X1CR, and there great, but if you want lipo they have them also....
Old 06-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

my dad and I have been using Maxamps packs and they are working really good,

when you say you are between radios, what does that have to do with your RX pack?
Old 06-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wait for the Losi lipo packs. They are the only ones designed to fit the 8 that are wired properly. No other pack is a 2000mah, 2 cell, 7.4v, with a 3 wire balancing lead.

Others are 4 cell packs that have been series/parallel wired to increase the mah. That does not allow for individual cell balancing which is both dangerous and reduces pack life.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:59 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

The Losi pack will be sweet when/If it comes out. The HT Lipo Packs is really good too. BUT you must still use the large battery cover to let it fit.

The buggy balances better with the Lipo back in it. The HT220 battery weighs 2.7oz's and my nimh pack weighed 3.1oz's. Going to test it out this weekend.

EA
Old 06-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had the HT 220 pack and because it is improperly wired for balancing mine didn't last 2 months. It swelled up and I was lucky it didn't catch on fire. I strongly suggest not using the HT220.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies.

bobf24, I also wanted a transmitter lipo also and was curious if they were able to be transferred. I didn't want to start a new topic for the one question. I just noticed that my JR Z-1 and the Spektrum both use 8 AA cells and figured that maybe I could switch from one to the other if I get my JR repaired.

Since people have said my ICE will work, how do I balance the packs. Do I need to buy something. This is all new but I can see the benefits once I get up to speed (no pun intended).
Old 06-18-2007, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know at least two dozen people that have the HT-220 Lipo (including myself) and have had zero issues with it whatsoever. Eric from HT Batteries is also a great guy to deal with as well as a fellow racer out on the West coast. Perhaps you just had a faulty pack. But I'm sure if yuo contacted HT Batteries they would have taken care of you.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've been running HT-220 Lipos for close to 6 months and have not had any issues. One in my buggy and one in my truck. I also have been using the Lipo transmitter pack for my JR Z1. Since this is my first time with Lipos I also went with their Lipo charger.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
I know at least two dozen people that have the HT-220 Lipo (including myself) and have had zero issues with it whatsoever. Eric from HT Batteries is also a great guy to deal with as well as a fellow racer out on the West coast. Perhaps you just had a faulty pack. But I'm sure if yuo contacted HT Batteries they would have taken care of you.
I did speak with Eric. He admitted that the packs are not wired for individual cell balancing. He did not replace the pack. I do not recommend the HT Batteries #220 pack.

Last edited by satoch; 06-18-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hello,
I have just bought the whole setup of HT Lipos for racing, Starter box(2), RX packs(2), and a TX pack, and the whole charger setup. I have taken in alot of opinions and chose that this is the way to go. Now when you say they dont balance, do you mean with a balancer from somewhere else or did you have the one from HTBatteries? I have not used anything yet but plan on it this weekend. Hopefully everything goes great.Ill let y'all know.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Look at the HT 220. It's made of 4 cells that are series/parallel wired to achieve the desired voltage and mah. Look at the balancer lead, it has 3 wires. You can't balance 4 cells with 3 wires you need 5. This is Li-po 101!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i thought it is a 2 cell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.