Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie who needs some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 04:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Newbie who needs some advice!

Alright first off, i am going to buy a 1/10 kit and i need some help. I do not want a rtr because i think if i get one of those then i am doomed because i will never know how to fix anything and take the car apart, i think a kit would be much more fun anyway.
Now here is the question:
I have narrowed it down to an HPI sport 2 or an associated TC3 racer.
I would like to hear some comments and suggestions on which one to get.
Now my second question:
If i get either of the two with this electronics package will i be set for at least a while until i learn the basic fundamentals of racing, and then upgrade to higher quality electronics.
Radio: a Futaba 2phka 2 channel AM ( i know AM is bad, but i am a begginer and when i get better i'll upgrade)
Servo: one s3003 standard servo
ESC: Futaba mc230cr ESC (holds 6-7 cells should be good for a while at least!)
Transmitter: 2phka transmitter

Are there anything else that i will need besides charger, batt. pack and motor (which i will choose stock to get used to the feel)

And thanks very much for any help!
Old 11-28-2002, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

TC3 racer definately.

Your electronics sound good. You might want to get a slightly better servo, but appart from that they look fine.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks , i would like to hear more, but i am slowly leaning towards a tc3. Can i put HPI bodies on a tc3 racer?
Old 11-28-2002, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

here's my input...
car: the tc3 definitely sounds better.if budget is not a problem,get the factory kit,u'll save tons on hop-ups later when u decide 2 hop-up ur car.

ur choice of electronics sounds ok,but i'll always try 2 get the best first time round,so tat i dun have 2 spend money again 2 get new electronics.
mayb try 2 get an esc which is of no motor turns limit,tat way,in future when u wan 2 play with hotter mod motor,u will not have 2 change ur esc as well...
the servo s3003 is futaba standard,it's an ok servo,but if i were u,i will try 2 look for the optional casing 2 fit on the servo which will allow it 2 have a ball bearing for smoother action...
buying better electronics 1st time round will oni help u save more in the future should u decide 2 upgrade...
Old 11-28-2002, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Racer,
Even though I don't run a tc3 now. It was my first higher performance car. You can't go wrong with it. Your radio choice is good. End point adjustments really help. The servo will work fine but expect to rebuild it as you will probably strip the gears after hitting the boards a few times. If you can afford it,Buy a metal gear servo.Doesn't have to be digital.
Should consider 3 sets of crystals. Most races require 3 AM channels available per racer.
Spare parts for the car. On the tc3...front suspension. Arms and hubs usually break.Get a extra wide front bumper .
tires and wheels. They don't last as long as we all would like. Suggest buying tires and inserts seperately so you can learn the different compounds and inserts.

Hope this helps. Keep asking questions. Good Luck.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

By the way, HPI bodies will fit a tc3. Just buy the 190mm size. In fact, all the various companies bodies will fit. Tamiya bodies are fantastic but to be honest, They're to nice to bust up. Buy HPI,Parma, Protoform or Frewer.(did I miss anybody?)
Old 11-28-2002, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

What kind of charger and batteries are you planning on getting? Whats your budget for each ? We'll all give you a bunch of personal choices, so be honest about your budget.
Old 11-28-2002, 05:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

My battery and charger limit would probably be around 50 for an alright charger and just a beginner 20 dollar battery
Old 11-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

i would also like to hear some good names of stock motors, thanks
Old 11-28-2002, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

stock motor...team orion core stock or reedy mvp stock r pretty good...

try 2 get a better charger with peak detection,tat will prevent ur batt from over-charging...mayb look at the For sale thread if u dun mind 2nd charger...
Old 11-28-2002, 05:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

How are the electronics in the RTR version? It seems like such a good deal to buy the RTR, but one part of me wants to build it. What are your opinions on the subject? RTR or kit?
Old 11-28-2002, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

the RTR is gd also...
but i wun suggest u 2 buy it if u wan stay long in tis hobby.
build ur car from scratch is always a veri gd experience and u will definitely b more confident in trouble-shooting it.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Wow ,this is fun. Reminds me...If you have a RC club in your area...JOIN. Then you can ask all sorts of dumb questions...Just like the rest of us did, AND STILL DO !!
I agree with Ijnek..those are two of the best motors out there. There are many others you will learn about.
Your budget for charger and batteries is typical for just starting out. Just a suggestion. Look on the for sale forum and look for a charger and batteries. Better yet, place an ad in the Wanted forum . Something like" New to R/C, Need Charger and Batteries".
If somebody offers you something that sounds good. See if you can find it advertised in the RC magazines or go to the manufacturer website to get details.
I'll go out on a limb and make a suggestion.....The Super Brain model 959 from MRC. The other would be The Vision Peak Plus from Dynamite. You should be able to find one of these 2 chargers for under 50 bucks easy. They only sell new for about 70.00.
Batteries..Find a deal on used Matched packs..Better to get 3000 Nickel Metal Hydride. But a 2400mah nickel Cadmium will work also. If you send me your address,I'll help get you started.i have a matched 1700 mah pack I'll GIVE you. It's not very good for racing but good for practice.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

How are these chargers and batteries, be honest, tell me if im crazy for thinking these are good. lol. I'm new so i dont mind.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6191&P=1
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6193&P=1
I am open to other charger opinions.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6041&P=1 (these are awful cheap, can they be any good?)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6130&P=1
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6134&P=1
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6143&P=1
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6149&P=1
What kind of run time/speed am i looking at with a stock motor and bone stock TC3?
I know im giving alot, sorry. But your help is very much appreciated. Consider it an expert helping a newbie!
Old 11-28-2002, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

with a ta04r or my xxxs,on 23t stock motor,using 2400 mah batts,i get almost 1/2hr of runtime!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.