UF1 is still alive and well in So. Cal >

UF1 is still alive and well in So. Cal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

UF1 is still alive and well in So. Cal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.20 average.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default UF1 is still alive and well in So. Cal

F1 is definitely “not dead yet”! UF1 is still alive and well in So. Cal…… With a positive attitude and the active participation of racers, the UF1 series will continue.

As UF1 has grown, It was felt that the that the thread generated in 2009 as “F1 is alive and well in So. Cal!” be reborn as a thread to specifically discuss our ongoing series here in Southern California. The original thread and its 3 year history is still available on RC Tech for you to view.

It was not an original goal that the series and format would grow beyond regional participation, but it has become something that was too good to keep to ourselves. For discussions of UF1 outside of So. Cal., an additional thread has been started to discuss UF1 for North American (and perhaps World Wide) in the Electric On-Road section of R/C Tech.

Constructive criticism has always been a part of the evolution of the series and UF1 format. R/C Tech is our tool to communicate what we like and what can be improved. So, we open a new thread as we open a new chapter of this great experiment called UF1. As always, please keep all posts civil and positive with a goal of making the series a better experience for others as well as yourself.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This UF1 thing now has a life of it's own I would have never guessed it
I will be passing on the website as well as all the responsibility to someone after the end of this season...

So this Sunday July 15th Speedtech is hosting a F1 Monaco practice day... prepare yourself for the tightest most technical lowest traction track of the season... Johnny will be announcing the race on August 5th and we will be encouraged him to be tough on clean driving... at least speeds will be low... ha...

Last edited by lightfoot; 07-09-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lightfoot
This UF1 thing now has a life of it's own I would have never guessed it
I will be passing on the website as well as all the responsibility to someone after the end of this season...

So this Sunday July 15th Speedtech is hosting a F1 Monaco practice day... prepare yourself for the tightest most technical lowest traction track of the season... Johnny will be announcing the race on August 5th and we will be encouraged him to be tough on clean driving... at least speeds will be low... ha...
Low speeds???? LOL ok.

I just played Monaco on the F1 2011 game. In the rain. Dood, really? That was part of the season. I know it's a video game but I have HUGE respect for the guys that do it; even on a sunny day. Man o' man.

So, are we killing the other UF1 thread in the Onroad forum? I kinda like it here better - less busy.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPhalen

So, are we killing the other UF1 thread in the Onroad forum? I kinda like it here better - less busy.
UF1 is too great to keep to ourselves. Let the rest of the world play! Besides, like you pointed out, it will reduce the clutter.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Ran my FGX at T.Q. for the first time yesterday.I think I was the only one running one.Every one else had a 104 of some sort.After the first qualifier my the Pit. rear tires had deep stress rips on the side walls.I switched to HPI softs on F201 wheels.That's all I had left in the arsenal.The car pushed a little more like Sean mentioned but still driveable.I prefer the side walls on the HPIs but the Pits. are still the advantage.Anybody know if Ride makes a softer front compound then the one they make for HPI? Thanks for your time.F1 still rocks more then ever.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xsracer
Ran my FGX at T.Q. for the first time yesterday.I think I was the only one running one.Every one else had a 104 of some sort.After the first qualifier my the Pit. rear tires had deep stress rips on the side walls.I switched to HPI softs on F201 wheels.That's all I had left in the arsenal.The car pushed a little more like Sean mentioned but still driveable.I prefer the side walls on the HPIs but the Pits. are still the advantage.Anybody know if Ride makes a softer front compound then the one they make for HPI? Thanks for your time.F1 still rocks more then ever.
Good luck keeping up with the 104's on carpet... Direct Drive on such high bite is a tough combo to beat...

Here my FGX carpet set up...

1) Hard rear shock springs with 2000 weight stock lube
2) Stiff rear sway bar
3) Medium front springs with 10,000 lube
4) Titanium king pin with 8mm Pom Ball
5) 48 Pitch / 35 Spur / 26 - 28 Pinion
6) reinforce the front upper and lower arms with piano wire and shoe goo
7) 3 degree rear toe in/ 1 degree front toe out/ 2 degree rear camber / 1 degree front camber
8 ) 4mm ride height front and back
9) Shimizu 0565 and 0561 ... The rear insert foam I shave the thickness in half with a dremel...
Sauce full rears and 3/4 fronts
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lightfoot
Good luck keeping up with the 104's on carpet... Direct Drive on such high bite is a tough combo to beat...

Here my FGX carpet set up...

1) Hard rear shock springs with 2000 weight stock lube
2) Stiff rear sway bar
3) Medium front springs with 10,000 lube
4) Titanium king pin with 8mm Pom Ball
5) 48 Pitch / 35 Spur / 26 - 28 Pinion
6) reinforce the front upper and lower arms with piano wire and shoe goo
7) 3 degree rear toe in/ 1 degree front toe out/ 2 degree rear camber / 1 degree front camber
8 ) 4mm ride height front and back
9) Shimizu 0565 and 0561 ... The rear insert foam I shave the thickness in half with a dremel...
Sauce full rears and 3/4 fronts
O.K. thanks.I had a little more than half of your set up on my car.I'll write this down and follow up.Your right those 104s where fast.I was battling with Kalvin and Vince for second place in the "B" until I couldn't hold them off any more with the HPI tires.I had the advantage on them at the end of the short straight going into that series of tight turns but the rest of the track was all them.I ran a 35 pinion with the thought of too much torque and excess push if I geared down.I'll try it next time.I'm also gonna keep my 104 in the coral and continue to work with it.F1 rocks!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Ok some of the clutter found its way back to this thread, but be easy on me. Besides my wife is from Cali so I'm local by marriage. Texas is having a electric series for the next 4 months, Houston, Austin, Dallas and Houston again. F1 is one of the scoring classes, plus we are going 15 minute mains with a pitstop. UF1 Houston is also doing a series, with full UF1 set up. It's catching on. And here in Dallas F1 is the fastest growing if not sporadic classes here. We don't run every week, we are moving to the UF1 set up ASAP. And when we inherit TP, its on like donkey Kong.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Although I don't own a FGX, but I learned a lot of tips from various FGX racers.

For the tires, you'll probably be better running stiffer side walled at high traction technical circuit like TQ. The constant turning and gripping is pretty stressful for the tire side wall.

Speaking from F104 perspective, some of us use different rims for the same type of Pits tires. The foam rims are good for outdoor where grip isn't high and bumpy, because the softer sidewall absorbs a lot of the bumps and also the flexing side wall makes the tire grip better. Then we have the Pits on the standard F104 rubber rim with the outermost ridge grinded off. See http://www.rctech.net/forum/10130806-post93.html for details. This makes the side wall firm, and also makes the car responsive and tire doesn't collapse (or fold) easily during high grip technical circuit like TQ. However, it quite a pain to grind and glue properly.

There are various racers still developing ways to optimize the tire side wall for FGX on the Pits. Hopefully when a good solution is found, it can be posted for everyone.

But for the upcoming race at Speedtech, the softer side wall will probably have a better advantage.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Just registered for the IIC race in Vegas F1 of course...

http://www.intchamps.com/index.php
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

So as you might or might not have heard , Tony Phalen will be taking over the UF1 website after this season... I can't think of anyone better to do it and his enthusiasm for the series is perfect... I'm looking forward to see how far he can take this... and also looking forward to the next season
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well .. now Ive heard it all .. !! Hey charles this means more racing for you .. Ill see ya at the track some time soon .. just got back in town and missed alot . Thats ok .. Your Still the UF1 all time leader ..
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
Ok some of the clutter found its way back to this thread, but be easy on me. Besides my wife is from Cali so I'm local by marriage. Texas is having a electric series for the next 4 months, Houston, Austin, Dallas and Houston again. F1 is one of the scoring classes, plus we are going 15 minute mains with a pitstop. UF1 Houston is also doing a series, with full UF1 set up. It's catching on. And here in Dallas F1 is the fastest growing if not sporadic classes here. We don't run every week, we are moving to the UF1 set up ASAP. And when we inherit TP, its on like donkey Kong.
easy there Donkey he aint moving. he has a team contract to fulfill...
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

E comet thanks I'll look it up and try that.Charles will you still be doing the gallery? That's my favorite part.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

E comet thanks I'll look it up and try that.Charles will you still be doing the gallery? That's my favorite part.
It will be Tony's baby 100%

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.20 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.