Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba 2.4GHz

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I have used it in my buggy and in my sedan. One thing that I noticed is that you have to change the radio to HRS mode as I was able feel the difference between the two modes. I felt PPM was slow.

I have yet to run it in a 1/12th scale.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Futaba 3PM 3-Channel 2.4GHz

Is this the radio you are using ... i'm interested in this because of the price and I'm not really a hard core racer I just want to get the 2.4ghz without using any modules, already supplied in one unit. and not having problem with frequency conflict. the other features are just icing on the cake.

"FEATURES: FASST (Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology) sends twice as
much information to the receiver at eight times the resolution of
standard systems for unsurpassed control and smooth servo travel
2.4GHz circuitry is wired directly into transmitter eliminating
separate plug-in modules
2 millisecond shifting between frequencies eliminates signal
conflicts and interruptions
"Auto Detect" instantly determines whether HRS or PPM mode is active
in the transmitter
Special ID code prevents signal interruption by rejecting unwanted
signals"
Attached Thumbnails Futaba 2.4GHz-futk2020.jpg  
Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

grizzle, i sent you a pm on this.

bottom line is that it should be awesome. the 3pm is a sweet radio, that really never needs to be upgraded. it's light and has all the essential functions an electric racer needs, and more. and the fasst system in the 3pk has been awesome for everone that i know, so i can't imagine why combining the two to create a moderately priced system could be wrong. as with all futaba stuff, i'm sure it's going to be bulletproof.

that radio with the fasst system (no metal antenna) and a lipo pack would probably be lighter than air itself. that seriously would be sweet.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know if this will apply or help. I bought the 3PM FS Pro and had some issues with the HRS side on my 1/18 but not my 1/10. I switched out the servo to a digital on my 1/10 to take advantage of the HRS mode and have had no problems.

On the 1/18 after the initial install everything was fine at home, ran fine responded quickly etc. but when I got to the track it was dead. It burned up the steering servo on the HRS mode. I changed out the servo to a Futaba analog and to PP mode and still nothing, I ended up having to change to a different channel as the servo was "buzzing" and getting hot and it has been fine so far but I have a micro digital on order (S3154).

Friday night one of the junior drivers bought the 3PK and cooked his stock micro servo as well in the HRS mode, it also damaged the reciever somehow. He bought a used spektrum on the spot and it worked fine.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Just for the record, you are never EVER supposed to use HRS with non-digital servos. Doesn't anyone read their manuals? That's probably why everyone is frying their servos.

Last edited by TurboT; 04-09-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

No, I read the manual, but didn't pay attention when I copied the 1/10 program over to the 1/18. My own fault :-) as being a newbie to the hobby.

My puzzling question is this, why an issue on one channel and not the other? when in PP mode. When no one at that particular time was on a channel near mine?

As far as the other guy burning up his, it was installed by someone who was only familiar with spektrum and said " I never read the manuals", as he tried to return a second servo to the store on race night.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

I'm lucky I decided to take a quick peek at my manual before I started using my used 3PK with HRS. That's the only reason I know. And even then, they could've made it stand out a little more in the manual! That's a pretty costly piece of info not to have on a red page or something!

I thought the FASST switched between channels constantly so that it always finds the open channel. That's how it's advertised, anyway. I have no idea why glitching would happen on it if that is the case.

I wanted to pick up this system for my 3PK but I'm a little nervous now. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if it really is worth the money.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Turbo,

The 2.4 is worth it. Once you have it you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner. Also, the 3PM-FS is the synthesized model, not 2.4. That's how changing channels for Erc made his glitching stop.

Ercwhtsd,

You're channel interference could be due to a couple of different things. Even if no one is on your channel you can get interference from adjacent channels. Your servo "buzzing" and heating up sounds like you were still in HRS with your analog servo. If you still have problems, send it in, Futaba will take care of you.

Socko

Coming soon...... The Seaball edition 3PM with Monokote striping in your choice of colors!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

I'm very seriously considering getting it soon. I'll be running nitro this summer and would love to try it. I used to have glitching issues where we'll be running, so hopefully I'll be done with the glitching for good!

From the earlier posts, it definitely appears that anyone with issues just didn't have stuff setup right, so I think I'm sold on it!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

socko- that's what I eventually figured out, $15 mistake on my part. Your probably right about the 2.4, each car I add to the 3PM FS costs me up to $120 for a reciever and servo. But I like it so far
Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

turbo- the more i use it and learn all the functions the esasier it is getting to navigate the controls. I noticed a HUGE improvement and difference on my 1/10 TC4 in it's responsiveness and control.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Erc,

Good to hear you got it sorted. I need to get up to your place soon. I'm heading to Scotty's this weekend for the rubber tire nats. If you're there, look me up.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

will do if we can get up there. travel soccer opening weekend this week, hope the next 12 weeks go by quick
Old 04-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Hey Socko,

I cut the antenna off of my Fasst receiver by accident this weekend but it still seemed to work fine (in 8th scale buggy). Do you think it will be OK or should I send it in to be replaced?

EA
Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Yo,

You got pm foo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.