• 1 Post By fyrstormer
  • 1 Post By 1/8 IC Fan

I need a low-profile air filter for a 15mm carb inlet

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default I need a low-profile air filter for a 15mm carb inlet

I'm putting together a new RC, and the engine has a 15mm carb inlet, unlike most of my RC engines that have smaller inlets. So my normal choice for air filters (HPI Nitro RS4) won't work. Traxxas air filters will fit, but they are all too tall and stick up above the top of the engine's heatsink, which will make it difficult to fit a body shell without cutting a big hole for the air filter -- something I'd rather not do if I can avoid it. The shortest Traxxas air filter I can find is 43mm from the top of the filter housing to the bottom of the rubber fitting; can anyone suggest a different air filter that is more like 30mm from top to bottom? If it has a right-angle fitting to position the filter off to the side to reduce its height, that's fine -- it just needs to fit a 15mm carb inlet and stay below the top of the engine heatsink if at all possible.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
I'm putting together a new RC, and the engine has a 15mm carb inlet, unlike most of my RC engines that have smaller inlets. So my normal choice for air filters (HPI Nitro RS4) won't work. Traxxas air filters will fit, but they are all too tall and stick up above the top of the engine's heatsink, which will make it difficult to fit a body shell without cutting a big hole for the air filter -- something I'd rather not do if I can avoid it. The shortest Traxxas air filter I can find is 43mm from the top of the filter housing to the bottom of the rubber fitting; can anyone suggest a different air filter that is more like 30mm from top to bottom? If it has a right-angle fitting to position the filter off to the side to reduce its height, that's fine -- it just needs to fit a 15mm carb inlet and stay below the top of the engine heatsink if at all possible.
What about the Dynamite air filters.

Or maybe an on-road type like this. https://www.redrc.net/2009/12/xceed-...r-filters-oil/
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

!5mm carb inlet is gas or petrol engine size. Most nitro air filters are by scale size.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I have 3 of the ones like Perterson114 posted.There about 37mm from top to bottom with 15mm at the carb
petersen114 and fyrstormer like this.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1995 Monster T
!5mm carb inlet is gas or petrol engine size. Most nitro air filters are by scale size.
Gas and Petrol are the same thing. this is an OS/ Ultimate M5S carb. It's 15mm.

fyrstormer likes this.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petersen114
What about the Dynamite air filters.

Or maybe an on-road type like this. https://www.redrc.net/2009/12/xceed-...r-filters-oil/
Yeah, those Xceed RC filters seem to the the only viable option. 15mm carb inlets seem to be almost exclusively used on big-block engines, which have room for much larger air filters; the Xceed RC ones are the only ones I've seen that are small enough to fit. Thanks.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Its the standard size for .21 / 3.5 motors. Many options out there. Those Xceed are replacements for the INS. So racerrc would carry thoseasthe Xceed dealer here.
fyrstormer likes this.