Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion Vortex Digital Servo 1007

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Angry Team Orion Vortex Digital Servo 1007

Ok so I purchased one of these guys about 6 months ago and was very happy with it till about a week ago. I just recently started to glitch the whole system when i turn. So i called Team Orion(Kyosho USA) and they told me to call Horizon Hobbies. Horizon told me they cant do anything about it if the hobby shop bought it before August. So my ? is what do I do now? Is it junk? Can it be rebuilt? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Prophet

it sounds like you have a problem with the your radio or your resevier ,not the servo.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearhead1962
Ok so I purchased one of these guys about 6 months ago and was very happy with it till about a week ago. I just recently started to glitch the whole system when i turn. So i called Team Orion(Kyosho USA) and they told me to call Horizon Hobbies. Horizon told me they cant do anything about it if the hobby shop bought it before August. So my ? is what do I do now? Is it junk? Can it be rebuilt? Thanks.
The type of application could be to blame; nitro vehicles are harder on servos than their electric counterparts, with larger 1/8 scale nitro vehicles being exceptionally hard on steering servos. If the servo is installed in a nitro vehicle, vibration could have caused damage within the servo's circuit board, which would rule out the possibility of a rebuild. You might want to open the servo case and check for any signs of dirt, condensation or fuel residue (if applicable), and check the servo lead to make sure that 1.)connections soldered to the circuit board are intact and 2.) the servo lead itself is intact. If you find any of these problems when performing this inspection, rectify the problem, reassemble the servo and see if the problem is resolved. Otherwise, check your receiver to make sure that the antenna lead hasn't been broken, or use another receiver to see if the problem resolves itself. One other thing to try would be to use another servo in place of the one giving you trouble - if the second servo operates properly, your receiver and transmitter are ruled out as sources of trouble, and you can focus on making sure that the servo's integrity hasn't been compromised...

Hope that helps, and best of luck finding the root cause of the problem.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replys! It is an a ta05 so i should'nt have any problems with fuel or dirt. I did open it up but did'nt see much though it would be a good idea to check it out again.

Also I did try other servos in the car(ta05) and no problems at all. I put the vortex servo in my blitz w/ a different radio and still had the glitch. So that would lead me to belive that it is the servo right?

How would one go about rebuilding a servo if it did need it?
Thanks for all the help guys. Iam kind of a noob at r/c and had a long break from the hobby. So thanks again!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Prophet

yea if you run the servo on a 1/8 buggy ,yea you want to put as much padding as you can in the battery box and reseverier box.

that should help a lot with the gitching and vibration.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Hmmm... Servo rebuilds aren't the kind of thing I could describe quickly in a forum post. Based on what you've already done to troubleshoot the problem, I'd say the servo is the culprit. Since it doesn't appear to be an issue with the servo's drivetrain, I'd take the unit completely apart (carefully noting where each piece is installed) and check for anything that might be causing a short circuit across the circuit board. Look for any loose transistors or physical damage to the circuit board, as damage in either of these areas could cause issues. If you're handy with a soldering iron, try replacing the servo lead, as it could be a broken wire causing trouble.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Prophet

the orion vortez servos are good, i use one for my 1/8 buggy for the steering.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Sweet well thanks for all the help i am gonna try to tear it down this weekend and see what i can do. I will let all you guys know how it went when i finish.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

So I took the servo apart and the board and all the connections on the board look great. I also checked the continuity in the wires and all seamed good. This would lead me to believe that it is a resistor or some other little component in the servo. That sounds like it is probably gonna be more trouble than it is worth. So i guess I am gonna be on the market for a new servo...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gearhead1962
So I took the servo apart and the board and all the connections on the board look great. I also checked the continuity in the wires and all seamed good. This would lead me to believe that it is a resistor or some other little component in the servo. That sounds like it is probably gonna be more trouble than it is worth. So i guess I am gonna be on the market for a new servo...
I had a feeling that this would be the outcome, but it does happen. I've had servos last a few days, others lasted for years. Chances are, you'll have better luck with the new one.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the kind words and all the help. I knew it was gonna be something like that to but had to try
Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

try running a aftermarket cap that plugs into your receiver and tell me how that works, i think novak still makes them, you may have to build a plug for it but thats not to hard.

i have had servos act weird, plug a extra cap in on them, and they work great again.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Regular

You think that servo can manage the steering for 1/8 on road?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry noober ? here what are you refering to by cap??

As far as 1/8 goes I have never driven one but I was very happy with the servo in my TC. I scaled down the settings with my radio cuz it was a little to fast, That was in my app. though.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by staikosn1
You think that servo can manage the steering for 1/8 on road?
For that application I would go with the 1409