Wiki Posts
Search

nimh cell balancing??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default nimh cell balancing??

Yeah I know there antique!LOL. Just getting into 1/12 and got 24 cells, happen to be in sport pack form right now. I plan to break em down and make 4 cell packs. Question is can I charge the packs, check individual cell voltage, break them up, discharge on smart tray, and group according to voltage, charged and discharged. Would I gain anything, is it worth it, don't have access to a cell dyno.
Would it be worth the time or just break em down and make 4 cell packs and race. ( They are 4700mah cells not junk but not ep or energ )
Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You would need a better discharger that acutally measured the cells runtime, average voltage and internal resistance. Something like the Muchmore CTX-D. That's only an option if you already have a 12v PS and a hundred ore more bucks on hand...
Old 10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Trust me: Cells in sport packs aren't worth the time to try to "match". Been there, done that, wasted my time. Generally the reason they are in sport packs because they aren't good enough for racing packs. Unless the cells have been zapped the voltage is likely to be much lower than cells in good matched packs.

As far as them being good because they are 4700s, the makers of good racing cells do not (to my knowledge) make 4700s. The good ones are 4600s. If they are not EP or Energ, they won't have the low internal resistance and good voltage to be competitive. If you just want to have fun (and not be competitive) just put them together at random.