Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which electric to pick up

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 09:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default which electric to pick up

I am new to R/C.I have a HPI RS4 3 and I love it.I currently looking to buy another kit.My favorite part of this hobby actually is getting the car in pieces and building it.RTR to me is the fast and easy way in.I wanted to know if i should try an electric and which kit i should get.(Pro 3,TC3,Losi xxx,etc.)Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

If you like building and admire the amazing engineering that goes into some of the rc cars, then I suggest you try getting a Tamiya kit. I know that State side, Tamiya is probably a little more expensive than the US brands (the reverse can be said here in Asia - won't it be nice when the US practices what its preaches in relation to global free trade), but their quality is second to none - especially, their racing kits such as the TA-04R, 414m2, TB-Evos etc.

Alternatively, you could try the Yokomo MR4-TC SP. The instructions booklets ain't the best and therefore make the building experience a challenging one. The final result is one fantastically balanced car. In Asia, it probably represents one of the best value for money kits available.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

A little more expensive! I believe I saw a MKII for about $400 ! (one reason I fancy having one ) Yes they are nice, but for his first electric, I think that much for a kit is excessive. In Asia it would be a geat option, but parts availibility is also a problem. On to choices... any pro kit is a great kit to choose. The competition is so close that every manufacturer must put out a great kit in order to just hang in there. The main things are parts availibility, cost, and your preference.

My $ 0.02.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Im2lazy
The main things are parts availibility, cost, and your preference.

My $ 0.02.
true...these should b the main things tat you should consider.
in US,i guess tc3 n xxxs would b a safe choice 2 choose,...
spend a bit more in getting the kit n save more on hop-ups is wat i try 2 do,so i suggest either factory kit tc3 or wait 4 the graphite plus edition of losi xxx-s...
Old 10-31-2002, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

I wasn't actually advocating getting the 414m2 (which I presume is what you meant by MKII). I was suggesting that if he likes to build kits, he might want to consider a Tamiya kit because of their build quality. Interesting to note that a 414m2 costs 400 USD - you could get two of them in HK for that price.

Point taken "Im2lazy" re: parts availability, cost and preference though.

Originally posted by Im2lazy
A little more expensive! I believe I saw a MKII for about $400 ! (one reason I fancy having one ) Yes they are nice, but for his first electric, I think that much for a kit is excessive. In Asia it would be a geat option, but parts availibility is also a problem. On to choices... any pro kit is a great kit to choose. The competition is so close that every manufacturer must put out a great kit in order to just hang in there. The main things are parts availibility, cost, and your preference.

My $ 0.02.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:42 AM
Tech Master

If only Tamiya had thrown in a couple of their bodies, I might be tempted to the electric side of touring . They may not be strong bodies, but they look a lot better than some pro bodies I've seen. I really know what you mean, Tamiya's are great to build becuase of their instructions and impeccable fit and finish, but unless you race at Tamiya's home track, there are few people that would take a tamiya over somethng else. But... if the Tamiya raceway was my hometrack, then I would officially have to be a Tamiya-phile . Here in Hawaii, we can only dream of racing at tracks like we see in magazines and on the internet.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Wink thanks

Thank you for your advice.I got a little impulsive today and bought a factory team TC3.I heard good things and i have to build it up myself anyway i want,i guess?The only thing now is do i get a mod motor or a stock motor.I heard orions are good.The core series,but i dont really know.Also what cells do i get and what servo and ESC?Any advice again would be appreciated.Thanks alot.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

GD choice!!!...
the FK TC3 is a gd quality car 2 start with and u will be spending less on hop-ups if u have bought the team kit or others...

as 4 the other electronics,tat really depends on ur budget.
here's my recommedation :
servo : KO 2143 Digitial servo or Futaba s9550
KO 2143 is a gd quality high-speed servo which will bring the most out of ur tc3. futaba s9550 has gd specs,but the thing abt it is it's smaller than standard 1/10 servo and tat saves space n weight. i have both of them n liked both veri much.it's tough 4 mi 2 say which is better,but i like the futaba 9550 small size...

esc:
u planning on racing???...then get a gd forward->brake esc such as novak gt7 or tc2, lrp quantum competition , or keyence zero v xtreme.u can't go wrong with these babies...
or u can get an esc whereby the reverse can b disable,then u can use it 4 races also...

motor:
i suggest u start with stock 1st.a reedy MVP dyno-tuned or team orion core stock RS r gd...

as 4 cells,the technology nowadays is inclined towards NI-MH batts...
Old 11-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the advice.I think i will go with the futaba.I have a futaba 3pdf.And i think i will go with the core motor.Little by little.I have another expensive hobby to maintain.Thats my 220 gallon marine tank.I just started in R/C and its great.I got a HPI RS4 3 SS and I love it.I dont have ant experience with other nitros but i am using it to learn.Thanks for the tips
Old 11-02-2002, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

220 gallon marine tank? ? Whats that? Sounds interesting .

Futaba makes excellent servos, some of the best. I think you meant servo yes(?) b/c I saw they now have like a competition esc for even more dough than the lrp quantam competition.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:22 AM
Tech Regular

go for a putnam green machine and a hitec 9625 digital servo,as for esc keyence is the absolute best but costly,lrp quantams are very good and have a great warranty ,if you have a charger that can do nimh promatch 3300 if not integy 2400 nicad will do just fine.

hope this will help.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

since u got a fk tc3 it sounds like u might wanna race. i think the best company for esc's is by far novak. the gt7 is there newest one. but the tc2 is also very good. get a hitec 3d radio. its got 3 channels. 10 model memory. and is pretty cheep for its price. dont get a trinity motor. if your getting a stock motor i would get the orion core stock. if your getting a mod motor i would get a cheeper motor like the orion orbital 2. then when the orion v2 comes into production get that. that shouldnt be to long from now. if its not already out. or u could just get the v2 when u kill yer orbital .

hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:38 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think you can get the 414M2 Red Box (European version) for HK$1850 anymore. This is just the kit without the tools and the body. This is the time before Surikan won the IFMAR. On the other hand, my friend was in Japan a while ago and he told me that 414M2 WCR cost around HK$2xxx according to the exchange rate.

To be honest, if you want to get everything like the WCR of 414. You need to spend USD400. This is because everything that is included in the kit, like titanium turnbuckles, titan screws, the 3 degree toe in mount and the new front A Arms with the 1.8mm sway bar kit.

As everyone on this forum said, just get a kit that you can find the spare parts. I would highly recommend the Losi XXX-S. It is very easy to build and very fast out of the box.

Another thing, if you are planning on buying the Futaba 3PK with HRS receiver. You can only use Futaba digital servo only.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

I have to disagree about the Hitec Lynx 3D. Its there best radio, but its not as good as any other major Transmitter companies model. I own one, and it is great if you're on a budget (like me ) but other TXs are much better quality. Its got all that you need, but ... My faith in Hitec is low (servos). Its got what you need, but no more.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

well thanks for the info. so far their servos have suited me perfectly. i dont own one of their radios. but i have some questions about radios. im on a budjet thats y i was considering the lynx 3d. i only have 2 cars that i would use it for. but i might get more in the future. and if i got a car with 3 channels it would work great. right now i only would use it for a tc3 and a xxx-t. but i dont think thats all i can have for the rest of my life . what would be a good radio and a cheeper price. around the lynx 3d price. i think its 185 or something. the m8 is kinda pricy. i want atleast 4 model memorie. but if theres a good one with 3 model memorie ill consider it. is the hitec really not that good. i still might buy it. im not convinsed yet .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.