Wiki Posts
Search

Land Speed Records...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Land Speed Records...

I've been thinking about this for along time. Setting up a Bonneville type land speed setting. Certain classes, all scrutinized pretty well, in a LARGE open area, with radar guns and video cameras (to tape record runs). We could make it a 2-time-a-year event when everyone comes out with their creations, enters a specific class, and goes for a record. We could even have our own on-line record books (I have enough room on my site to handle that), and get some manufactures and magazines involved.

If there is any interest in this, I may get a bit more involved in making it happen. This will be the true test of 'how fast my car is', since, like alot of people, their cars can hit 50 or 60 mph!!!! Well, now you can prove it!!!

Whatcha think?
Old 01-16-2002, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

I think that would be really cool. I will definitly be making one of those....in fact, I have already started to draw a design for my creation on autocad .
Old 01-16-2002, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

I've been scribbling down a bunch of ideas and notes on classes, limitations and rules for each class (to make it fair to compete for a 'record' for each class), tools needed, as well as certain safety measures. Location is still in the works as it needs to be pretty long to make it similar to Bonneville.

I was even thinking, in keeping with Bonneville rules, that you would have to make 2 'record' passes, both times combined and averaged, to break or set a record, not just a single pass.

Still in the works, but maybe I can hash something out by August or September.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

for the classes you could limit them by the number of cells that the cars can have. for instance: class A can have say 10 cells, class B can have up to 20 cells, class C can have 20+ cells. Just throwing out some ideas as i get them.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

TPhalen,
Keep it simple too!

Limit by cells.....and motor. Stock & mod.

Then by body style.......
Old 01-17-2002, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I've been playing with a similar sort of idea for a few years, and here's what I am doing.

I have built a rail dragster, using a Protoform shell. Chassis is made from a mix of aluminium and carbon fibre. Back end is basically narrowed pan car - front end basically pan car too.

It runs 9 cells with a Novak Tempest speedo and low turn mod motor. With large - truck size wheels we have run it at a real drag strip - 1/4 mile with pretty interesting results. Terminal speed over 80mph and elapsed time of just over 14 seconds. The biggest problem encountered was finding a fast enough real sports car from which to drive it. Son Josh drives, sitting in the passenger seat with transmitter in hand, as I flatten the throttle of a friend's MGF to try and keep up. Interestingly the electric dragster is so much quicker in the first 1/8 of a mile. It's only towards the end of a quarter that the MGF starts coming in.

Of course the down side of all this is motors. e burn armatures like they are going out of fashion because of the far too high gearing.

But I have now fitted a 2 speed gearbox and changed to lower profile foams on the rear and hope to have another bash soon. The only problem is time. we are in the middle of our electric touring car championships, we start our hill climb championship (real cars) in a few weeks time and I am working flat out on my race car, I unfortunately have to find time to work too, and appease the family too, so you will understand there is very little time left for such follies.

But I will keep you informed of progress.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I have an E-Maxx ready, and a TC3. Want to get a couple other cars competing...

I hear there is a T-Maxx out there pressing 85mph....should get that bad boy out there for a couple passes...