Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

GT kickups

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wkloppen
Tried to make an overview of the camber increase due to caster relative to the steering angle. It seems to work properly taking caster, static toe in and steering axis inclination into account.

You can edit the black filled fields filling out your own values. The steering angle is the toe in column and the most right column calculates the actual camber for the specific steering angle.

Note: camber increase due to pressing in the suspension has not been taken into account here. ..Might add that later but it's late and i wanna go to sleep

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

w.

Hey W, do you think Einstein would take a nap now.....😎

If you solve this, I'm thinking NOBLE GT8 AWARD !!!!! 😎
Old 10-13-2017, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

Ok.....was rather late yesterday evening calculating all the angles and formulas. Luckily the formulas are correct as I did a lot of testing. I made the sheet muchmore easy to understand including a graph which shows you the actual camber at a given steering angle.
It takes the SAI, the camber at zero toe (static camber) and the steering angle into account. The SAI (steering axis inclination) is bit difficult to measure but has a slightly negative effect on the camber increase while turning the wheel although it's not much as the graph clearly shows.

Have fun with it....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
30Tooth likes this.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kick up isn't bad by itself, nor caster. Once I feel more healthy I will write to the GT8 group about both and how you can tune them.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

Default Measuring total caster

I did some measurements on the Serpent yesterday evening. The total caster measured 22 degrees on the setup tool. With the 12 degree steering knuckles would leave 10 degrees for the kickup of the suspension arms. I know the actual bend on the serpent chassis is approx 15 degrees which means the lower arms are not paralell to the chassis bended front but have a 5 degree lesser
kickup.
Conclusion: you have to measure the actual kickup of the lower arms instead of only the bend in the chassis which makes perfectly sense. I reckon this will be different for each chassis brand.

w.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by British Menace
Yes, you are right. Kick up is negated on the Serpent and maybe other makes too, by the parts available for leveling the bottom hinge pin.

But just leveling the lower hinge pin, will not in itself, reduce castor. The effect of kick up is that it actually moves the upper wishbone mounts rearward, this creates the extra castor. Merely leveling this bottom wishbone wont take that extra castor away again.
You would have to move the upper arm forward again to do this.

Regards
BM
Your point is valid for cars using a front upper a arm. For c hub cars like the serpent cobra, the effect of kickup translates directly into caster though.
That is why it is so difficult to get the caster reduces on cars with upper a arms. Flattening the front lower arms can even increase caster on those cars as the bottom pivor ball can move forward, the upper arm usually also has kickup and there is no room to move it forward enough....
wkloppen likes this.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Julius
Your point is valid for cars using a front upper a arm. For c hub cars like the serpent cobra, the effect of kickup translates directly into caster though.
That is why it is so difficult to get the caster reduces on cars with upper a arms. Flattening the front lower arms can even increase caster on those cars as the bottom pivor ball can move forward, the upper arm usually also has kickup and there is no room to move it forward enough....
Yes. Very true. The Kick-up alters the angle of the C hub itself and hence the caster. I can see altering or leveling the lower hinge pin directly alters the caster.
I had this issue on my old Team C car.

Good point sir.

Regards
BM