Search
Like Tree1Likes

HPI Venture... finally.. Could it be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 365 (100%+)
Default HPI Venture... finally.. Could it be?

It appears the HPI Venture FJ cruiser is finally hitting the shelves... Pre-orders are up on tower for 369$... which if you research the truck, is a great deal for what you are getting.

Will be a big year for the crawler/scale community with both HPI and traxxas getting involved.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

And even Redcat is getting into the game. While the body is not my cup of tea, the chassis looks great for the price.

Great time to be into scale trucks!
Old 07-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

**Its OFFICIAL!!!! **

For now -2 RTR versions being offered-

Sandstorm:
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/117165

Gunmetal
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/116558

*A TRUE Kit version to follow - Unknown ETA...

Initial Stats:

-Front-motor position
-Metal chassis rails and
-Realistic drive-train
-Central transfer case
-Telescoping driveshafts
-Solid axles w/ metal suspension pieces
-Authentically scaled oil-filled shock absorbers
-Full-time locked differentials
-Toyota FJ Cruiser licensed replica body that includes: front and rear bumpers, mirrors, roof rack and rear tire mount

Couple updated pics, More info once its released.

Fj Body-Sandstorm

FJ Body-Gunmetal

Chassis:

I'm told other body options are in the work, but nothing confirmed yet.
-Dedicated FB Page - Join and Follow along. https://www.facebook.com/VentureHPI

*I pre-ordered one thru my LHS and should have it by months end. I'll be posting pics and likely a build thread thru the FB page.
I personally can't wait for it.

MOmo
aracefan likes this.

Last edited by MOmo; 07-05-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hpi mentioned that other bodies would be coming in future. No timetable for what future could mean.

As for kit version. Suppose they could. Though last Hpi kit, Savage XS SS, didn't sell. And they still refer to their RTRs as kits.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Hpi mentioned that other bodies would be coming in future. No timetable for what future could mean.

As for kit version. Suppose they could. Though last Hpi kit, Savage XS SS, didn't sell. And they still refer to their RTRs as kits.
-From My source AT HPI, the Proline 4runner kinda took the wind out of their sails as that was a planned body (It still could happen) but other bodies are coming. The immediate goal is to get the product out. We might see something by years end. But given the restructure and everything else, there has been a push to get the back-orders filled and established bodies to get pulled and sent.

I think in this case, the "KIT" will work since most crawler folks tend to customize them to begin with. But initial release is the RTR incl. radio and batt. AFAIK.

MOmo
Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just to put in my two cents, I would love to see a kit from them.

Judging from HPI's consistent relative low prices from their trucks that aren't absolutely insane (Savage HP, I'm looking at you), if the kit was a good $300 or even a bit lower, I bet it would sell like wildfire for the people that want to get into scaling in an affordable way, but still want a kit.

Like me. I would definitely buy it if it was a kit. But since they've waited like two years after they've announced it to get it out to the public, that kind of makes me a tad annoyed at them.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Just wish they had another body offering. Kind of tired of the FJ.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
Just wish they had another body offering. Kind of tired of the FJ.
When it was first shown 2+ years ago, I don't think the FJ was as common. There are supposed to be other body versions coming somewhere in future.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HPI's use of the word "kit" is British slang. "Kit" is pretty much synonymous with "functional device" in British English.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've gotten bit by a crawler bug recently, even more so since I spotted just about a perfect place on my way to the nearby race track to crawl on! But alas, I don't have a crawler. My mini-Traxxas could be converted into a diff-locked Summit, but I think I'd just rather save that money for an actual crawler... and since I'm writing here, you probably already guessed I've been contemplating the Venture as just that. It's less expensive than the admittedly cool TRX-4 (which actually slowly started the crawler bug infection in the slow burner - I dislike the stupid-looking non-scale crawlers, so these scale crawlers were a new acquaintance). It also has a nicer body than the TRX.

I guess I'll have to wait until spring to buy it though. Snow crawling doesn't seem quite as appealing. At least by spring there's ought to be definite data on how it performs, aftermarket needs if any, and maybe even whether or not HPI has managed to actually sort itself out and will be around to support the darn thing
Old 10-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Honestly, if you're just getting into the crawler scene now, I wouldn't consider any vehicle *except* the TRX-4. The extra money you spend to buy the TRX-4 will save you even more money in the future when you don't feel tempted to buy other, less-flexible crawlers. I like my Ascender, SCX10 II, and Wraith, but if the TRX-4 had existed 4 years ago I'd probably own that and nothing else. Why would I go "back" to a vehicle that has a full-time locked drivetrain? You might say the simplicity improves durability, but the technology Traxxas used to make the TRX-4's locking diffs has been tested in the much larger and heavier Summit for almost a decade -- it's extremely unlikely to start failing now.

I seriously considered the Venture for a while. The delays in its release caused me to buy a SCX10 II instead, with its nifty hypoidal diffs that raise the driveshafts a little to improve clearance. Then I got an Ascender to compare to the SCX10 II. Then HPI finally got their act together and got ready to release the Venture, and Traxxas came along with the TRX-4 and completely destroyed any justification for buying the Venture instead. Sorry HPI; I still love your nitro cars and trucks though.

EDIT: Actually, I'd probably still have the Wraith, because I can't do this with a scale crawler:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That's the video that convinced me to buy a Wraith in the first place.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

What's the actual benefit of non-locked diffs on a crawler though? I don't yet know how much the Venture will cost in Finland, there's basically only one vendor that sells HPI stuff and they haven't listed it yet... but I imagine it'll be around 400€, maybe a touch more. TRX-4 in the meanwhile is 530€ (of course, Traxxas has the usual benefit of local parts support).

I'll still be a track driver first and foremost - well, at least unless the local track vanishes - so I don't know how much time I'll be putting on the crawler. Going overboard with the cost doesn't seem too appealing, in any case.

If money wasn't a concern and I had a full size car to move the stuff around in, I'd probably just get a 1/10 Summit for the versatility.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

When the diffs are unlocked:
- The steering is more precise;
- The motor doesn't work as hard and doesn't heat-up as much;
- The drivetrain doesn't bind-up and make the chassis tilt;
- The tires don't drag, so they last longer;

That's what comes to mind right at this moment. Basically, locked diffs are ONLY useful when climbing over obstacles that are impossible to climb over with unlocked diffs. If you can climb over an obstacle with unlocked diffs, you should. In my Telluride, I have a locked front diff and an unlocked rear diff, as a compromise between the two, because that vehicle has no provision for remote-locking diffs.

The Summit is a great truck. I have one of those also. The TRX-4 is still worth getting, because it can handle terrain that the Summit is too large and heavy for. The Summit is more like a monster truck that can handle rough off-road conditions, whereas the TRX-4 is a true rock crawler that isn't boring to drive on flat ground.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Looking at their Facebook page. Looks think it might finally be shipping out. Though I need to see it before I believe it. We've read this before.

I'm still considering trying a scaler. But I think it's taken Hpi far too long. I no longer trust the brand. The recent announcement by Carisma of the Coyote might have me.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
The Summit is a great truck. I have one of those also. The TRX-4 is still worth getting, because it can handle terrain that the Summit is too large and heavy for.
Hmm, well the diff thing is something to consider for sure based on that... I guess the upside is that I have 'til spring to decide and see how the Venture turns out, what the price will be here etc.

And yes, Summit + TRX-4 would be a nice combo indeed, but the cost is way too much for me to justify. If I'm getting an electrical 1/10 monster truck, a more practical scenario is it'll being a budget-friendly JLB Cheetah

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.