Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F104 wide track conversion kit set new record at UF1Series on Feb 4 at TQrcracing >

F104 wide track conversion kit set new record at UF1Series on Feb 4 at TQrcracing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F104 wide track conversion kit set new record at UF1Series on Feb 4 at TQrcracing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

does anyone have any experience of these to review? i think to make my 104 wider will help on low traction?

thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo
does anyone have any experience of these to review? i think to make my 104 wider will help on low traction?

thanks
These make the car much more stable and remove quite a bit of responsiveness and corner speed. On our carpet track we lost about .4-.5 seconds a lap. After some additional aggressive tuning, we were able to put down our fastest laps on the layout. Parts allow you to really tune aggressive and push the car to its limits.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:49 AM
Tech Adept

does the rear piece still have the shaft and small set screw?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo
does the rear piece still have the shaft and small set screw?
The rear parts are exactly the same design, only wider. You will build and attach the rear tires the same way you do now.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Tech Adept

many thanks for your replies. we race on a very low grip carpark so i think make the car a little wider will help with traction
Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

50 bucks may seem alot at first but with so many F/R width combination you can play with and the instant increase in performance its all worth it.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPhalen
These make the car much more stable and remove quite a bit of responsiveness and corner speed. On our carpet track we lost about .4-.5 seconds a lap. After some additional aggressive tuning, we were able to put down our fastest laps on the layout. Parts allow you to really tune aggressive and push the car to its limits.
What additional tuning did u do ?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Calling Tony!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

I have my kit installed and ready to practice. May get a day next week on the carpet, but will get some pavement time this weekend.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
What additional tuning did u do ?
we increased the camber on the front end (finalized at 2deg), do this in .5degree increments to control the balance of the front end, and we played with saucing the front tires(3/4). also added a 1mm shim under the rear ball of the front arms, this added some progressive caster. it really let the car get driven hard into the corner. in the end, the rest of our setup was standard.

Last edited by mkennedy; 03-01-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Would like some more information on the tuning too.

I've been using the kit across 2 weeks now but still am evaluating. My initial thoughts were that the car did understeer more in low speed corners but it was easier to drive. It definitely made the car a lot more balanced. I race at a short tight medium traction asphalt track on rubber and a high speed low traction asphalt track and definitely saw more of a benefit at the high speed track.

I haven't even tried playing around yet to get rid of the understeer in low speed corners as I've been evaluating tyres in the mean time.

Have another race meet to test out foams so I will begin experimenting with the widths after that.

Anybody tried yet running the wide rear with standard front? Was one of the first things I was going to test out.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mkennedy
we increased the camber on the front end (finalized at 2deg), do this in .5degree increments to control the balance of the front end, and we played with saucing the front tires(3/4). also added a 1mm shim under the rear ball of the front arms, this added some progressive caster. it really let the car get driven hard into the corner. in the end, the rest of our setup was standard.
In addition to what Mike said, I also removed the two shims under the front of the arms...the ones that are located under the ball that attaches to the camber plate. I also removed all the weight I had on the diffuser. This weight helped keep the back end planted but, since the wide kit made the car more stable, I was able to remove it all. Car carves pretty hard now.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

With thanks to Aaron at R-Sector, I've got some of these parts on the way now, looking forward to giving them a try on the WGP at the next SGP1 event... the results from UF1 have certainly proved their worth
Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This is good stuff. Just like Tony and Mike said, when you add the parts the car understeers, but it reduced the tendency to traction roll when you go to more aggressive front end settings. I like it.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, this a nice kit! The only thing I don't like is that the steering knuckles have the small holes for the ball studs..... I hate those stupid tiny shanked ball studs supplied by Tamiya. So I just drilled and tapped to 3mm, problem solved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.