Wiki Posts
Search

TEMPS???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TEMPS???

when every one talks about tuning a nitro engine they go off temps.
i know the diff between 'f and 'c so it isnt something that stupid but when they say running temp is the the maximum temp or the temp at idle. also im using a venom temp gauge (it all i could afford) and i was wondering are the temps im gettting (one fin above the join between head sleave and crankcase) be comeprable to a temp of like the glow plug area finally any hints on tuning a single needle carb?????
Old 08-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Aim your temp gun straight down towards the glow plug. This is the reading that is likely to be closest to that of the combustion chamber. The way we measure the tempurature of an engine is by letting it run. Drive around for more than 1/4 of a tank, then bring it back and see how hot it is. Keep in mind, that each engine is different, and you should tune for track conditions. You should be able to get good performance, with reasonable tempuratures. Tuning for performance will give you a better running engine, but only use the temp guage as a guide to set your thresholds. Set yourself up so that your temps never go higher than about 235-240. A good method for sport drivers is tuning for a good temp, then fine tune for increased performance. Some racers would want to tune for performance, then make sure their temps are within reason. Nitro will also make a difference in tuning. I found out recently that higher nitro percentages mean lower engine tempuratures. Higher nitro ppercentages can be more taxing on your engine, so be wise, and ask questions when searching for nitro fuel. Also, it's not a good idea to switch fuels all the time. It's best to stick with one brand and nitro percentage throught the life of the engine.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well said
Old 08-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Suspended

my engine on my .21 maxx is running at 300 is this too high for a .21?please someone help.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Yeah that is way to high for a .21...... like stated earlier prolly around 235-250 actually i personally think but thats just my $0.02...
or else w/ the fuel they also all run different amounts of castro oil, or synthetic oil so that will also determine the temp. on the engine.

LaTa JoSh
Old 08-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Suspended

you think it could be my tranny shifting to soon?it seems like it shifts to soon,it isnt lean because the motor has good smoke and the high speed it is out almost 3 turns.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Suspended

hey way off subject but does anyone have a clue what options of gears i can get to run on the tmaxx,i heard that only mgt clutch bell and spurs but i think there is more options because the .21 conv was out way before the mgt was thought of,please let me know i would like to be able to run the tmaxx spurs,but what clutch bell should i buy?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by a/efreak
you think it could be my tranny shifting to soon?it seems like it shifts to soon,it isnt lean because the motor has good smoke and the high speed it is out almost 3 turns.
I don't think it is because you are shifting to soon. Sound like a poor tune or the engine is getting wore out. Also check for things binding up in the drive train. Maybe a bad bearing, breaks hung up, poor gear mesh, air leak or something along thoes lines. 300* is tooooo hot.

Bump
Old 08-29-2005, 12:51 AM
Suspended

i dont think that it is a poor tune becuase it is burning super rich,i now have the high speed at three turns out,and still it hasnt changed,you think that i should adjust the low speed?if so what ya think a good setting would be?the motor isnt wore out it isnt old at all.please let me know,it is the stock mgt motor
Old 08-29-2005, 12:54 AM
Suspended

maybe my temp gauge is messed up because when i do the spit test,lol it barly get boiled,just barely it will not dissapear for a min or 2.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

As odd as it might sound being too rich can produce high temps as well. I wish I could tell ya what the best settings would be for your engine but it really doesn’t work that way as all engines even the same brand will tune different. From what you are saying it sounds like you are crossed up on the needles. It could be too fat on the top and way too lean on the bottom. I would take it back to factory settings and start over. Or you could just fatten up the bottom one full turn and tune from there. If it will not idle from there turn up the idle till it does and then tune for performance. If the idle starts to get higher as you are tuning the bottom then readjust the idle screw.

I just saw your post on the temp gun. Yes a lot of the less expensive temp gauges can be off, sometimes as much as 40* to 60*. But running blubbering rich as you describe does not sound right either. Check your tune and take your time. No need to ruin an engine.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Suspended

ok man thanks alot,i will try that.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Suspended

you think gear ratio's would have anything to do with it?it is geared way to high man,when i got it it had the mgt spur and clutch bell and it seems to me that the guy that i got it from raced it at the salt flats or something,lol i want to run the tmaxx spurs but i cant find a clutch bell that will work,the mgt is 32 pitch and so is the tmaxx,but the gears will not work together.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Suspended

ok i got my motor temp figured out,i took that old crapy mip gauge off and put a venom temp gauge on and it was reading 242 deg,and then i put a raytech temp gun on it and it was reading 243,so i think it was my temp gauge throwing it way off.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

a/efreak:An engine will only get that hot when a clutch bearing let go,clutch slipping,worn out p/s,dirty lens on temp gun,hole in fuel line/air leak.I think that about covers it.