Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
mamba max running 17.5 motors? >

mamba max running 17.5 motors?

mamba max running 17.5 motors?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default mamba max running 17.5 motors?

i know when the stock 17.5 brushless motors first came around the mamba max escs really couldn't run the motors without a lot of cogging.
since castle has had some program upgrades that have basicly eliminated cogging for lower kv motors has anyone tried a 17.5 with them? if so please post what brand motor and your results.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

I tried it with the Sidewinder and there was a couple of times it would clog so bad it would not move I had to go get it off the track. It would not move unless it was pushed first.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If your hoping to run stock with that motor you might be required to run a Sensored ESC as well, depending on the local track rules.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The latest firmware is supposed to minimize cogging to almost nothing...

Haven't tested it myself, yet, though, so I can't confirm... But if you don't mind waiting a few days, I'll tear one of 'em out of my Clodbuster and try it out in my E-Jato
Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

i already have a mamba max in my boys evader st. i have many brushed stock motors but sold my lathe a year ago so i cant maintain them anymore so they will quickly degrade.
i dont have any brushless 1/10 motors and i want a 17.5 to keep it slow for him and if i decide to race it i can also run the stock class. anywhere i race around here i can run it without the sensors hooked up no problem.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kvrc
i already have a mamba max in my boys evader st. i have many brushed stock motors but sold my lathe a year ago so i cant maintain them anymore so they will quickly degrade.
i dont have any brushless 1/10 motors and i want a 17.5 to keep it slow for him and if i decide to race it i can also run the stock class. anywhere i race around here i can run it without the sensors hooked up no problem.
If you want to keep it slow and use your Mamba without cogging then buy a Castle 4600 motor and setup you speedo for brushless. Turn the start power to low, timing to low. Setup speedo as normal with your endpoints. Once you have it setup normal then turn your epa down from 100 to about 70. If it is still too fast just kep turning down the epa until you get a speedo you would like for them.

This way you have a motor that works and is designed for the Castle speedos. If not Tekin makes a lower KV sensorless motor. I think it is a 358 but you would have to check for sure on their site. It is around 3200KV or so.

A 17.5 motor will cog. While Castle has made better and better programming it still isn't made for sensored motors so to get the best performance I would say use a sensorless motor.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

wyd thanks for the info. getting a 4600 or any other faster motor and turning back the endpiont wont wotk since i use a basic am kit radio for this truck.
the mamba max does work great with brushed stock motors so i guess i will burn through the ones i have and see if i can score a second hand novak esc and 17.5 motor.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

wyd thanks for the info. getting a 4600 or any other faster motor and turning back the endpiont wont wotk since i use a basic am kit radio for this truck.
the mamba max does work great with brushed stock motors so i guess i will burn through the ones i have and see if i can score a second hand novak esc and 17.5 motor.
Got any brushed mod motors? Before brushless I put a stock armature in a modified can, so I could turn down the timing. Lower timing = a little less speed, much less heat, much less brush/comm wear, better runtime. The bearings help run time and maintenance too. And if it’s not enough punch you can always do the same with a 19T or whatever arm.

Not nearly as good as a brushless, but perhaps a way to get the kid some run time at low cost without burning up every motor ya got.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave H
Got any brushed mod motors? Before brushless I put a stock armature in a modified can, so I could turn down the timing. Lower timing = a little less speed, much less heat, much less brush/comm wear, better runtime. The bearings help run time and maintenance too. And if it’s not enough punch you can always do the same with a 19T or whatever arm.

Not nearly as good as a brushless, but perhaps a way to get the kid some run time at low cost without burning up every motor ya got.
yes i can do those things but i want to get away from brushed if possible and also run stock if possible. i guess i wont be able to do it with my mamba max so i am getting a tekin 632 and running 4 nickel cells when my boy drives it. i will just run mod if / when i race it.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

yes i can do those things but i want to get away from brushed if possible and also run stock if possible. i guess i wont be able to do it with my mamba max so i am getting a tekin 632 and running 4 nickel cells when my boy drives it. i will just run mod if / when i race it.
For the price of a cheap Novak setup with a 17.5 motor you can buy a cheap FM radio that will give you more trims and not break the bank. Lots of cheaper FM radios are sold on Tech and Ebay that would be great for what you are going to do with it. Hitec SRX or CRX would be cheap or some of the cheaper DSM Spektrum radios that originally came out.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Initiate

PM me please with the definition of clogging???? as i will not be able to find this thread again, i stumbled upon it. if clogging is what i think it is, then i have a question
Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

ezrun has a 17.5 sensorless and hobbycity has every imaginable size and kv of motor at throwaway prices. between those you should be able to find something.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
If you want to keep it slow and use your Mamba without cogging then buy a Castle 4600 motor and setup you speedo for brushless. Turn the start power to low, timing to low. Setup speedo as normal with your endpoints. Once you have it setup normal then turn your epa down from 100 to about 70. If it is still too fast just kep turning down the epa until you get a speedo you would like for them.

This way you have a motor that works and is designed for the Castle speedos. If not Tekin makes a lower KV sensorless motor. I think it is a 358 but you would have to check for sure on their site. It is around 3200KV or so.

A 17.5 motor will cog. While Castle has made better and better programming it still isn't made for sensored motors so to get the best performance I would say use a sensorless motor.
Except if he wants to race it, he's probably out out of luck unless they have an open motor class... 17.5's are meant to compete with silver cans, which, on average top out around 18,000 (give or take) RPM... A 2700kV motor on 2S LiPo has more RPM than that... Most tracks won't let EPA adjustment pass for motor speed/fairness, in a specific motor class...