Wiki Posts
Search

Fantom Nitro Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Default Fantom Nitro Engines

Guys;

I just got my Fantom .15, '03 SC Non-P/S engine yesterday. I'm going to install it in my Super Nitro to replaced my Worn-out Picco .15 SE.
I bought it because I like the greater torque that a .15 engine usually has.
What I've noticed is that these engines are made by the EXACT same manufacturer that makes the HPI SS engines. This is not nesessarily a bad thing. ABSC Piston and Sleeve, 6mm Slide Carb, Nice BIG Cooling Head. It should be a decent engine I think for a car that I now only drive occasionally.

Just thought I provide this little bit of information.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Pops

One of the fastest guys at our track is running an '03 Fantom .12 SG slide carb rear exhaust. I'm thinking about getting one when I finally kill the Thundertiger/Associated .12 SC pullstart engine. I may go ahead & get another Nitro TC3 (kit this time) & build it with the '03 Fantom. Mike TQed & won the A main with it last race in his NTC3. The best part is this engine is only $139.95 at my LHS & just flat runs with the Novarossis & Piccos (beat them last week). If I get to get the kit for onroad touring car racing the Thundertiger/Assicoated engine may be delegated to some "Outlaw" wedge body racing in the single speed RTR chassis. One of the local dirt oval tracks is thinking about starting an outlaw dirt oval class running 4WD touring cars with wedge bodies (hey I can finally use some of my old Custom Works Dominator bodies that have been sitting around for years). Maybe we can even get fastharry to come down with his wedge bodied NTC3

Bill (NTC3 RTR)
Old 03-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Well already I'm running into some problems installing this engine into my Super Nitro. I had a Picco .15 Round Port, Side Exhaust in it before. I had custom machined engine mounts and a flywheel to give the exact amount of accelleration that I wanted.
Problem is, the Slide on the Carb runs into the upper deck so the only way to fix it is Raise the engine with Pull Start mounts and install the larger flywheel (bummer).
Then the Header I bought, hits the left rear tire. So I'll have to bend it to clear.

I also wasn't happy with the end play on the crankshaft, so I had to do some creative shimming on the Flywheel to correct this.

I'm already missing my Picco. I hope this engine doesn't dissapoint when it comes to performance.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Default Got it in the Car finally

Well I FINALLY got the engine to fit in the Car.

I bought some Pull Start engine mounts and that did the trick. Everything clears now. I had to use a P/S Flywheel too, but this should make the Car more drivable on loose tracks. Also noticed that the engine has a Turbo Crank in it so it should be fast (I hope).
Old 03-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Guys;

I just got through running a few break-in tanks on this engine and all I can say is this thing is Ballistic!!
Even at just above 200F, I think it's faster than any of my Rear Exhaust engines. This weekend at the track will tell for sure, but for now I'm VERY impressed.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

What track??????
Old 03-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What shaft style do the '03 engines have??
Old 03-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

I ran the Car in practice at the Track this weekend and got many comments on how fast it was. I decided not to race it as I has not happy with the handling and didn't have the time to sort it out.

XER987;

SIDE Exhaust engines are Standard Shaft, REAR Exhaust engines are SG Shaft (Per Fantom Magazine Ad).
Old 03-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

pops:

which one did you get? I looked at fantom's web site the only have 4 choices for part numbers for each, the .12 and .15...

F12R-PS .12 Side Exhaust, Rotary Carburetor, Pull Start
F12S-PS .12 Side Exhaust, Slide Carburetor, Pull Start
F012-R .12 Side Exhaust, Rotary Carburetor
F012-S .12 Side Exhaust, Slide Carburetor

F15R-PS .15 Side Exhaust, Rotary Carburetor, Pull Start
F15S-PS .15 Side Exhaust, Slide Carburetor, Pull Start
F015-R .15 Side Exhaust, Rotary Carburetor
F015-S .15 Side Exhaust, Slide Carburetor

It doesn't say anthing about what shaft style they come in...

Thanks...
Old 03-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default Fantom Nitro Engines for 2003

XER987;

For 2003 there are 2 new Rear Exhaust .12 engines that come with SG Shafts. ALL of the other engines are Standard Threaded Shafts.
I have the FR15.03S, Side Exhaust, Slide Carb, 2003 model.

The .12 Rear Exhaust PN is FR12.03R. They come P/S or Non-P/S, Slide or Rotary Carb.

All of the 2003 engines have "RED" cylinder heads.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but after having no luck finding a TRX 2.5 to stick in my Super Nitro, I picked up up an 03 Fantom .15. You're right about the slide carb, but what I did was to bring out the "Motivator" (ie, my Dremel) and remove just enough plastic (stock upper deck) to allow slide clearance without having to resort to p/s engine mounts. I tweaked an old hand-ported CEN header enough to clear the rear tire and idled a tank of 20% through @ 220F. No time to run it, but will do so at the local track during practice tomorrow.

PS: Are you sure it's ABSC and not just ABC?
Old 07-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by GP40X
Pops

One of the fastest guys at our track is running an '03 Fantom .12 SG slide carb rear exhaust. I'm thinking about getting one when I finally kill the Thundertiger/Associated .12 SC pullstart engine. I may go ahead & get another Nitro TC3 (kit this time) & build it with the '03 Fantom. Mike TQed & won the A main with it last race in his NTC3. The best part is this engine is only $139.95 at my LHS & just flat runs with the Novarossis & Piccos (beat them last week). If I get to get the kit for onroad touring car racing the Thundertiger/Assicoated engine may be delegated to some "Outlaw" wedge body racing in the single speed RTR chassis. One of the local dirt oval tracks is thinking about starting an outlaw dirt oval class running 4WD touring cars with wedge bodies (hey I can finally use some of my old Custom Works Dominator bodies that have been sitting around for years). Maybe we can even get fastharry to come down with his wedge bodied NTC3

I appreciate the invite....but I'm doing all I can with ROAR region 2 races in NJ...and parking lot racing on tues nites in NY....

Bill (NTC3 RTR)