Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dry Ice ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Default Dry Ice ?

Is it legal to use dry ice to cool motor during racing ?

I'm thinking to use dry ice cube, mount it to motor with 2cm wide rubber band, and enjoy -78.5C cooling.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asw7576

I'm thinking to use dry ice cube, mount it to motor with 2cm wide rubber band, and enjoy -78.5C cooling.
I'd like to know about this too, but I'm more concerned with the effects that it has on the motor.. won't the lube freeze up? How about magnets at such a low temperature?

I wouldn't strap the Dice to my motor though... I'd build a DICE container (like the one for CPU cooling) and put some in that before the race. I'd use LN2 or liquid helium as well, if the motor has no problems at such a low temperature...

The container looks like this (not mine)
Old 02-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Magnetic strength is higher at lower temps. I seriously doubt the lubricants would freeze either.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

cold motors........especially cold stock motors are silly fast. I've experimented with it a bit.....but not enough to really KNOW everything about it....but if you lean a .5" cube of dry ice on your motor and motor plate.....and leave it be for like 10 minutes before your race and run it with the ice still on....it'll be fast.

The fun part about dry ice is that there is no condensation. I've tried regular ice with a sleeve around the motor before with mixed results.

All you can really do is experiment though...
Old 02-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576

I dont see why it isnt or shouldnt be legal but I wouldnt do that. It doesnt seem like such a cold temp would be good fr it.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

The cold temps are very good for it. You'll have lower resistance in the windings, higher magnetic field saturation and less power consumption. But the thing you have to worry about is thermal expansion. Even with the dry ice directly against the motor, it's going to heat up. Going from super cooled to 100+ degrees could stress the epoxy in the motor. Possibly causing your magnets to come loose from the can.

Tony
Old 02-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Not to mention what it could do to your armature
Old 02-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dry Ice is a way old school idea from the eighties.. It was never deemed illegal.. You can legally use freeze spray which basically does the same thing.. There use to be companies that had clip on heat sinks that were hollow and had a cap.. put dry ice in them an go.. It really didnt catch on back then..
Old 02-26-2006, 07:06 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Cold motor = better performance. Motor way too cold = brittle epoxy. Brittle epoxy + impact = #@$^@%!^$% Well, just something to consider...
Old 02-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by burbs
Dry Ice is a way old school idea from the eighties.. It was never deemed illegal.. You can legally use freeze spray which basically does the same thing.. There use to be companies that had clip on heat sinks that were hollow and had a cap.. put dry ice in them an go.. It really didnt catch on back then..
I have small talk with Tamiya Asia Cup Organiser and he said its okay as long as not excessive.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RcCzarOfOld
The cold temps are very good for it. You'll have lower resistance in the windings, higher magnetic field saturation and less power consumption. But the thing you have to worry about is thermal expansion. Even with the dry ice directly against the motor, it's going to heat up. Going from super cooled to 100+ degrees could stress the epoxy in the motor. Possibly causing your magnets to come loose from the can.

Tony
I'm planning to put the dry ice around 3-5 min before race begin. I'm quite sure by the end of 5 minute race the dry ice is vaporised.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Where can you buy Dry Ice and how much is it?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

don't buy it....you can go to Baskin Robins and get some from them. I've got a friend that works there, so I get it for free

it really shouldn't be too expensive....but most icecream shops are the best place to get it.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

I just Googled it and I read it was like 6 bucks for 10 pounds.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As Big Jim used to say:
Dry ice is frozen C02. It's temperature is -109 degrees F or -78 degrees C. Notice the minus sign. That's 141 deress COLDER than regular H20 ice. It's cold enough to burn you and cause you serious pain and injury. You may be savvy enough to use it with problems, but maybe some of your racing peers who see you doing it and try it are not. I don't want anyone to get injured.
Dry ice can crack the magnets.
Your skin can stick to it and have to be surgically removed and can cause serious burns at the very least if touched with the naked hand. Stay away from it. It gets the motor too cold anyway.
Additionally, it could be accidentally spilled on a neighboring person pitting next to you. Or if someone didn't know it was there, they may accidentally touch it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.