Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rob4448585
The 4600 is fast enough for sportsman, but I want to just to expert soon, and I don't think the 4600 is enough.
I have a 5200 ready to go in and was going to try it this week, but all this talk has me really confused.
I think with the 5200 you will be way over powered. I think a lot of my issues with the 4600kv is i would spin the tires in certain areas. When your spinning the tires your not moving forward as fast. I wonder if this is your issue? I would suggest maybe going down a tooth on the pinion with the 4600 to get a little more punch if you do not feel like you have enough power. If you can afford it i would suggest a 2 pole as you can be harder on the gas and not worry about spinning your tires.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maddog9
I think with the 5200 you will be way over powered. I think a lot of my issues with the 4600kv is i would spin the tires in certain areas. When your spinning the tires your not moving forward as fast. I wonder if this is your issue? I would suggest maybe going down a tooth on the pinion with the 4600 to get a little more punch if you do not feel like you have enough power. If you can afford it i would suggest a 2 pole as you can be harder on the gas and not worry about spinning your tires.
I actually went up on the pinion tooth from a 16 to 17 with the 4600 and the truck felt more controllable and faster (lap times agreed)
So thought maybe a 5200 with something around 14-15tooth (not sure on number of teeth) would work better.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rob4448585
I actually went up on the pinion tooth from a 16 to 17 with the 4600 and the truck felt more controllable and faster (lap times agreed)
So thought maybe a 5200 with something around 14-15tooth (not sure on number of teeth) would work better.
Any issues with heat with running that big of a pinion? Try 14t with the 4600kv unless your running a huge track go to a 15. Small indoor track i was at a 13.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Casper
Increasing lap times is a bad thing! We know what you meant.

I have stayed with the 4600kv short motor. The 4300 HD is a beast on the bottom end. You need to have a little more throttle control with that guy. But if you need the power it is there.

2 pole motors are good for large open tracks like outdoor 8th scale tracks. They will have a little less bottom and a little more top. There are different motors out there for different situations.
Since we are on the subject of motors, my son has been running an old 3570KV motor out of an old Redcat since he started racing the SCTE 2.0. He started out in the novice a few months ago and is now always first or second in the sportsman class. He will never be competitive enough in the expert class with this motor, but as close as he is to the experts (within 1-2 sec), he will need to step up on the motor to close the gap.

But with this little motor and the little HW ESC, he has been beating up on some of the others that have the 4300 HD and the like. Granted they aren't the best of drivers, but it causes me to wonder, does he really need all that power, weight, and ESC to run with the top dogs?! As much as I would love for him to have all the power, I'm afraid it's just going to cause him problems and be overkill. If guys are running their motors at 60%, wasn't the extra 40% kind of a waste of money and weight?

He only races a indoor blue groove track that can get a little powdery by the time his class runs.

I'm thinking he needs something with between what he has and the 4300 HD. It's hard to get way from the motor he has because it's going on 3 years now, runs very cool, doesn't eat up much mAh, and has been trouble-free. In fact this past weekend, the motor only ran up to 98* (with a fan). In the middle of the summer, it ran 150* at the most.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
Since we are on the subject of motors, my son has been running an old 3570KV motor out of an old Redcat since he started racing the SCTE 2.0. He started out in the novice a few months ago and is now always first or second in the sportsman class. He will never be competitive enough in the expert class with this motor, but as close as he is to the experts (within 1-2 sec), he will need to step up on the motor to close the gap.

But with this little motor and the little HW ESC, he has been beating up on some of the others that have the 4300 HD and the like. Granted they aren't the best of drivers, but it causes me to wonder, does he really need all that power, weight, and ESC to run with the top dogs?! As much as I would love for him to have all the power, I'm afraid it's just going to cause him problems and be overkill. If guys are running their motors at 60%, wasn't the extra 40% kind of a waste of money and weight?

He only races a indoor blue groove track that can get a little powdery by the time his class runs.

I'm thinking he needs something with between what he has and the 4300 HD. It's hard to get way from the motor he has because it's going on 3 years now, runs very cool, doesn't eat up much mAh, and has been trouble-free. In fact this past weekend, the motor only ran up to 98* (with a fan). In the middle of the summer, it ran 150* at the most.
How about the castle 3800kv, its not a sensored system but would be a step up and not too over kill. If you go that route try a 16t pinion. Other opinion would be a 4000kv tenshock sc411. Or if you want to try something different 2 pole 4.5t motor.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by wittyname
The pro 4 4600 is a 4 pole 540 size motor. The pro 4 hd 4300 is a 550 size motor. So , even though they are going down in KV , they are going up in power by going to a larger rotor. Your motors , if i am not mistaken , are already 550 size motors , both with higher KV rating then the 4300. The 4300 in the highest KV Tekin offers in a 550 motor , so thats why they are choosing it. You should be making plenty of power with that tenshock 4600. Are you running the sensored version ? Try your 5200 and see if you can make a 10 min main , and see if your lap times drop significantly. Sometimes more power makes you a little slower. Often , lower KV motors are a bit smoother , and lead to better control. My experiences. Im sure others will correct anything i said wrong

Shoot man if anybody meed more power from a Tenshock 4600kv your doing something wrong that motor is a beast even racing with better drivers it has more than enough ! I have the Non Sensored Tenshock 401 (Red can) for a long time and on a big track i geared it down to a 14t because, a 15t pinion was to much straightaway power and not enough bottom end to hit the face of close jumps and was hurting the runtime .

Although it does tend to spin wheels kind of easy on loose dry so i use the Expo to about -6 at most and it was smooth as anything i could drive harder into the corners. Its a 4 pole 550 motor they have a lot of bottom end if geared like that .
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Ive been running the 3656sd xerun sensored 4000kv motor on my end with my rx8 it it is perfect. I use to have the pro4 4600 and it ran to hot for my taste. But that 3656sd is one sweet motor, half the price of the tekins to boot! With that being said I use all tekin redline motors on all my 22 losi's.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I have owed the tenshock in both 4000 and 4600 both are good motors but the 4000 lacks top end plenty of lowend and the 4600 had the speed but lacked in the low end to get over some of the doubles that were right after a sharpe turn. Then I got a 4600 tekin was great at my medium size outdoor track but ran hot had to run FTW fan to keep it in my safe temp zone. Now I have a tekin 4300 and love it. It is great all around motor IMO it has tons of lowend and topend the only down fall I have seen is it loves mah had to go to 6500 or greater. And yes I have my rx8 gen2 turned down to 60% but it is not wasting the power I ran my tenshock like this to to save my lipos from the current draw. And if u are having tire spin issues play with the throttle curve I have mine tweaked so I don't have wheel spin. And to end I did run the castle sc motors when they first came out and to keep from getting hammered to badly by castle die hards is that I personally will never own one again.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guy's...I think,if my old Tekin 550 4.5 with a 13mm rotor doesn't cut it I will go with the HD4300...

Thanks again,
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Anyone running the mip turnbuckles? Not sure if they are worth the coin
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

I went from a max pro / tekin 400kv which was good , to a viper copperhead /4500 which was better , to a hobbywing xerun 4700 sctpro combo which has made me very happy. I have all the power I could possibly use at my track. I think in SC trucks , the controller is more important sometimes then the motor itself. There are some huge current demands in this class.

In response to the gentlemen looking for a system for his son to try next , consider that viper 4500 system . It was a very very nice system for the money. The esc is one of the best made i have seen, and its much smoother then unsensored castle systems I have owned.

I have the MIP turnbuckles that come with the proformance chassis. If they are the ones you are asking about, they are nice, not as sloppy as the stock ones . But i dont think I would buy them unless I already had to replace the stock ones .
Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sanny632
Anyone running the mip turnbuckles? Not sure if they are worth the coin
I am running them. (titanium) and they haven't moved at all.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hacker07
Yeah, it fits. I use it as a practice body. We took the holes out of it so you can use it for both cars.
my TLR230000 just arrived with Holes
Of course the holes aren't in the right spot for the TLR
Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I am fairly new to the hobby and just bought a used (but perfect condition) SCTE 2.0 on this forum. I read through some pages on this thread, but there are over 360 of them
I wanted to order some spare parts to have in stock, but have no information on what is most likely to break on this truck? Or if there are some necessary upgrades to make? I heard that the Tekno RC Front//Rear-center driveshafts are a must.
I won't be able to go on the track much because of the winter coming, so I will probably do some light bashing.

Since I live in Europe, it's not as easy to get parts, so I wanted to make one big order on Amain.

Thanks for you help
Old 10-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CookieFlow
Hey guys,

I am fairly new to the hobby and just bought a used (but perfect condition) SCTE 2.0 on this forum. I read through some pages on this thread, but there are over 360 of them
I wanted to order some spare parts to have in stock, but have no information on what is most likely to break on this truck? Or if there are some necessary upgrades to make? I heard that the Tekno RC Front//Rear Centerdrive shafts are a must.
I won't be able to go on the track much because of the winter coming, so I will probably do some light bashing.

Since I live in Europe, it's not as easy to get parts, so I wanted to make one big order on Amain.

Thanks for you help
The only things I've broken since the 1.0 came out is a front arm, rear hub, and several rear bumpers. The option springs are good to have. Maybe a couple of CV shaft rebuild kits and you should be good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.