Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

AFM and rest of the crew,

Well, i joined the big boys and today i raced first time my OFNA DM-ONE, the format its simple, 3 x 5 minutes qualifying, lower 10 minutes mains and A-Final 25 minutes.

I qualyfied very bad being my first time with the car and bumped up to the A-Main, ended 3rd so im very very happy.

This cars are a lot fun to drive and very very fast, i used my GO Engines .21 5 ports + EFRA 0801 GO pipe ... 9 minutes and 50 seconds runtime very good ...

cya and thanks for all, next race again in 3 weeks

bye,
Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up body

Originally Posted by Jspeed
What track was that LH?

Those rules are great and along the same lines we at RC Pro Series were thinking. I like it, time for some "Stock Car" R/C road racing!
now that would be cool seeing nascar style body duking it out
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by viperbill1963
now that would be cool seeing nascar style body duking it out
Yea, that would be cool on hi-banked tracks. GT500 racing too!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default igt2 clutch

fella's i'm having a problem with blowing clutch springs the original spring and
mips. I didn't see anything about the clutch it's self not being changed but the gearing can. I'm thinking about the three shoe clutch will this be ok?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by steven57rc
fella's i'm having a problem with blowing clutch springs the original spring and
mips. I didn't see anything about the clutch it's self not being changed but the gearing can. I'm thinking about the three shoe clutch will this be ok?
If you're running the aluminum 2 shoe clutch, it tends to mushroom just like a 3 shoe except over the spring and cuts away at it. If you switch it out to the KC45 carbon unit and you'll have no more problems.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm breaking springs while breaking in engine. Springs used are stock, tmaxx,and strong Mips snaping on the ends and center. strange ha
also what bearings are used instead of bushings for the second gear?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Does anyone know if there are any centax type clutches available for these 1/8 Buggy-Based On-Road cars? I have an older OFNA GTP and would like to test a centax type clutch if there is one available.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
wwoodruff

Default Someone has done it!

I read somewhere it has been done, but it did require some mods to the chassis. Werks makes a centax type clutch for offroad buggies that would probably work with no mods.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Speyederjedi
Does anyone know if there are any centax type clutches available for these 1/8 Buggy-Based On-Road cars? I have an older OFNA GTP and would like to test a centax type clutch if there is one available.

Regards,
Speyederjedi

Which clutch are you using ?, i mean, i made my debut on GT Class in my country (GT Class based on 1/7 OFNA DM ONE Chassis) and i used aluminum 3 shoe buggy like clutch with hard spring and i loved it !

cya
Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Which clutch are you using ?, i mean, i made my debut on GT Class in my country (GT Class based on 1/7 OFNA DM ONE Chassis) and i used aluminum 3 shoe buggy like clutch with hard spring and i loved it !

cya
I'm using the stock 3 shoe clutch, but I'd like something that would allow the engine to spool up to a higher RPM before engaging. I've seen a couple of races of this class and I'd have to say that the biggest drawback to these kits are the clutches. The clutches engage too early and due to the weight of the car it takes them to long to get up to speed,but that's just my opinion. I think an adjustable centax type clutch would make a big difference in performance.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

I'm using the stock 3 shoe clutch, but I'd like something that would allow the engine to spool up to a higher RPM before engaging. I've seen a couple of races of this class and I'd have to say that the biggest drawback to these kits are the clutches. The clutches engage too early and due to the weight of the car it takes them to long to get up to speed,but that's just my opinion. I think an adjustable centax type clutch would make a big difference in performance.

Regards,
Speyederjedi

I felt what you say but only on the first qualy when i used 0.9mm springs, with 1.1 the problem was solved,
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Too hitec IMO. These cars are meant to be simple. In Inferno shorten the length of the spring, get a stronger one and/or enlighten the shoes if needed.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikaR
Too hitec IMO. These cars are meant to be simple. In Inferno shorten the length of the spring, get a stronger one and/or enlighten the shoes if needed.
I guess we would have to agree to disagree. I feel that in any kind of racing you want to maximize the power offered from your engine. If your clutch is engaging before the engine is operating in it's power band then you're at a disadvantage even if every other racer is in the same situation. Besides, centax clutches are not that complicated and are easy to adjust. If you ask me, pulling a motor to change out your shoes or springs is much more difficult of an adjustment than holding a spring nut in place and turning the flywheel without having to pull the engine out of the car. Running a centax clutch would actually be easier. IMO.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I guess we would have to agree to disagree. I feel that in any kind of racing you want to maximize the power offered from your engine. If your clutch is engaging before the engine is operating in it's power band then you're at a disadvantage even if every other racer is in the same situation. Besides, centax clutches are not that complicated and are easy to adjust. If you ask me, pulling a motor to change out your shoes or springs is much more difficult of an adjustment than holding a spring nut in place and turning the flywheel without having to pull the engine out of the car. Running a centax clutch would actually be easier. IMO.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
I agree,I used the centax from the 950 and that was one less problem and easy to adjust which made the car more controlable
Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

I think what MikaR is trying to explain is that the concept of the GT class racing is to try to lower the overall costs associated with on-road racing, to adapt to the current world wide economic situation and to offer RC racers an opportunity to compete in a more level playing field.

There has been way too many heated debates on this thread & other threads about “Spec vs. Open” GT car racing.

There’s no debating that an “Open” GT car would produce superior speeds & lap times, but the true issue we fellow RC racers should consider with this new breed of on-road racing, are the growth and future of our sport.

My personal opinion are that these GT cars is: they are fun, very durable, spectator friendly, accessible and moderately priced; in comparison to Sedan & true 1/8 scale vehicles.

GT cars are a great “stepping stone” for newer racers into the higher ranks, a class for experienced racers that wish to compete with a more simple chassis design and for any racer that wish to be able to continue to enjoy the RC racing experience during this challenging financial climate.

Nitro Sedans & 1/8 scale cars do offer racers with the ultimate in speed & complexity, so there is really not much need for the GT cars to escalate to that level, since those types of classes already exist.

Mexico has the best example of what can be done with the GT class. They have a huge number of Spec racers attending their events. The rules are set in stone, they are having fun and there is little “in-fighting” between the people that would otherwise be good friends.

If “the proof is in the pudding” the Mexico GT class is a shining example of what does work very well.

Be it “brand” specific or not, “they’ve got it going on”, while here in America and elsewhere around the world, we’re just spinning our GT car wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.