Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transponder Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 06:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Transponder Question

OK, i am new to the racing scene, i was wondering where i can get a good transponder for a good price??
Old 11-19-2002, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, if you're talking about AMB's personal transponders, a number of tracks/shops will stock them if they use that system(& I think the price is somewhere around $50). But if you don't race or the track you run at doesn't have the new system, then there's no point in buying one for yourself, the track will have their own for everyone to use(if they use transponders at all)...
Old 11-22-2002, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default RE; xponders

unless you are thinking about running a club then there isnt any point.. if u go to meetings the organisers will provide you with transponders..

the only reason ud really want one is purely for lap counting / timing ... if you intend running ur own transponder @ meetings then make sure it is compatible ..
Old 11-24-2002, 07:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Where can i buy one online?? the track i race at does use the AMB system and i would like ot gt one for myself
Old 11-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly, I don't know, I haven't seen a listing of the personal transponders on any of the online shops I've visited lately(though that doesn't mean they aren't being sold online), but I think your best bet would be at the track/shop that uses them. I think they only cost about $50 or so(& it runs off the battery slot in your reciever's BEC, so there's no battery to charge)....
P.S. Since you live in Illinois, maybe you're close enough to Milwaukee to go to S&N's TRackside Hobbies & Raceway, they sell them & they're good about selling at a reasonable price(better than most local shops & close to the mail order/online shops)...

Last edited by Grizzbob; 11-24-2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do you guys use personal transponders? Wow!!! I usually use dummy one in training and races are different thing...
Old 12-06-2002, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I haven't bought one yet myself, but I probably will soon(there are already 2 tracks within driving distance that uses them, as well as big races I like)...
Old 12-13-2002, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

You should use what the track provides, and save 50.00. There is no use of buying one when your local track provide them for everyone to use. When you buy a transponder, you also need to charge it. Sometime they will require you to run a different number etc. Bolink distibuted AMB, but bolink no longer distibute them. Here is AMB phone number. You can call them up or Google-it. http://www.bolink.com/amb.html
Old 12-15-2002, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Umm, Team_Akina_1, I don't think you understand just what a personal transponder is. They're different from the ones you normally see, & they don't have a battery to charge. They plug into the reciever's battery plug-in & run off the car's BEC(so no battery to worry about, & also means they're lighter than older style ones). The other nice thing about them is that each one has a specific ID(like a serial number it transmits), so each one is unique, which means you can take it to ANY track that uses that system & there won't be any conflicts(but it does not work with older transponder systems). I already know of 3 tracks that I like to go to that are using the system now, & I expect it'll continue to spread, so for me it could be worth the cost to buy one(as well as others, just depends on your individual situation, i.e. how many tracks near you have or will have the system)...
Old 01-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

the personal transponder was the best $50 i ever spent for an rc item. no more haveing to run back to get the transponder out and back so the next race can use it. no more looking for your transponder before your race because the bonehead before you forgot to put it back. alot easier and more relaxed day of racing.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, I finally got the chance to buy one over the weekend, & I love that little gadget! It was especially cool that Trackside has some custom software that let anyone with a personal transponder to record ALL their lap times during practice(including having them printed out), it was a BIG help...
Old 01-15-2003, 08:34 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Grizzbob -

I've been using a Personal for a couple months now. S&N Trackside still uses both transponders. Personal transponders, and the track transponders for people who do not want to buy a Personal.

After we switched to the PT's, I bought a personal about 3 weeks later. It's just so much easier to set the car down, and get on the stand. Litterally... Scotty now yells at us for getting on the driver's stand too quickly, while other cars are still "on", instead of yelling at us to hurry up and get a transponder from the bonehead who walked off with it.

It saves time... racing takes less time. It litterally cuts off about 2 minutes between races.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Tech Rookie

go personal transponders
Old 01-20-2003, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The best thing since sliced bread
Old 01-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

If your track doesn't leave the computer on during practice, your lap times won't be recorded. I would recommend looking at the Orion Lap Counter, it's good to use at outdoor venues or tracks that don't use the PT. However, the orion lap counter only counts the transponder in your car. This is my backup when the track's computer is down.