Wiki Posts
Search

Is it safe to go WOT with an OS .28xz?? lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrjones07
not to change the subject , but I am planning on getting the XRAY XT8 and was wondering how you felt about yours. I will be putting a "AXE Rossi 21 Model 198R21 COBRA VP Series Off-Road HOT MOD Modified by Jim Hottinger" engine in mine. This engine turns at 51000 rpm which we all know could be just a number derived from one enigne being tested.

Not to dissuade you but that motor is not a overly powerful motor...in fact it will likely be one of the slower .21's on todays market.... the Hott modding really means barely touched and no more powerful then stock.. smoother powerband maybe, but no added mean power.... compared to a OS 28 that Cobra will look like a $50.00 RTR engine....... There are many other engines that will make a whole pile more power and cost you less money, the claims of 51 000 RPM are also nowhere near realistic..expect a maximum of about 38 000 rpm under load,
Old 11-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thats great that other motors pull more on a dyno.... But that wont allways translate into on track performance. I dont care what it pulls on a dyno, i know that at the track the OS .28 is nearly untouchable power wise.

Im not biased either, i dont run nor own one of the OS .28's
Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Tech Addict

i guess we'll see just how fast it is saturday!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyram
i guess we'll see just how fast it is saturday!
Haha I was thinkin I could get a tally person to post! Now I need your help getting her dialed in!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by m_podt
I prefer when my truggy does not wheely...
Wheelies are just a minor set-up change, and Chances are its not going to wheelie on dirt anyway. Not quite the same traction as asphalt.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Wheelies are just a minor set-up change, and Chances are its not going to wheelie on dirt anyway. Not quite the same traction as asphalt.
Agreed...I'm runnin 7, 10, 3 too.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hyper7vspec
Thats great that other motors pull more on a dyno.... But that wont allways translate into on track performance. I dont care what it pulls on a dyno, i know that at the track the OS .28 is nearly untouchable power wise.

Im not biased either, i dont run nor own one of the OS .28's

I am refering to the AXE Cobra, not the OS 28..please reread my post......... that is if your referring to me
Old 11-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Maximo
I am refering to the AXE Cobra, not the OS 28..please reread my post......... that is if your referring to me
Sounds like you know a lot about engines...You got a site or something for your modding business?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I ran .9 clutch springs, composite shoes, and a 15 tooth clutch bell trying to tame a strong .28 and all it did was eat clutch shoes, clutch bells ( it stripped all the teeth off of 3 different ones), and run faster on the top end. I broke one diff (It twisted the pins in the diff case) and also ripped some tires apart.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Reevo
Sounds like you know a lot about engines...You got a site or something for your modding business?
Maximo's the man! I have never bought one of his engines but we talked a few times. He is MR. Engine Mod. He works mostly with Picco's and Jammin engines. When he's done you get more run time, more torque, more power, and longer life. (your engine, not you) It's also still cheeper than buying one of the overpriced Nova's OS, or Ninja, but his modded Jammin will blow them all away. I'm thinking of getting one of his .21's for my buggy, once my V-pec sucks blows up.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by x195svt
I ran .9 clutch springs, composite shoes, and a 15 tooth clutch bell trying to tame a strong .28 and all it did was eat clutch shoes, clutch bells ( it stripped all the teeth off of 3 different ones), and run faster on the top end. I broke one diff (It twisted the pins in the diff case) and also ripped some tires apart.
There are definitely precautions you have to take with a super engine. It's mostly just set up though. It is imperative that your gear mesh is perfect! A perfect gear mesh makes no noise at all when the car is rolled back and forth. Just a hair too close or too far, and you see what happens. You also need to be much smoother on the throttle. When you gun a .28 and EVERYTHING isn't set exactly right. It usually just flings parts all over the place
Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaz240
There are definitely precautions you have to take with a super engine. It's mostly just set up though. It is imperative that your gear mesh is perfect! A perfect gear mesh makes no noise at all when the car is rolled back and forth. Just a hair too close or too far, and you see what happens. You also need to be much smoother on the throttle. When you gun a .28 and EVERYTHING isn't set exactly right. It usually just flings parts all over the place
You are correct...I forgot to put loctite on the little screw on the end of the motor's output shaft that holds the cb/flywheel on and the cb was sitting half off the shaft and clutch shoes were showing after I got done running the other day. It'll definitely make you check every nut and bolt before running.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Let the thread lock dry over night. If your useing Permatex blue.

Who's going to be the first to put an 053 on the .28xz? We like loud.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

I wish I had a .28 in my truggy

I can't clear ski jumps at my local track at all

I lose so much right there

but I'm great at smal tight tracks
Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Let the thread lock dry over night. If your useing Permatex blue.

Who's going to be the first to put an 053 on the .28xz? We like loud.
I run a 053 on my os .28 haha. Yea its loud but not annoying like some I've heard...