Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
This new kit(any new Kit) put me in the A main Theory. >

This new kit(any new Kit) put me in the A main Theory.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This new kit(any new Kit) put me in the A main Theory.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

I agree with Scooby as well.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoobydo
I keep reading threads that say that as soon as they got the latest and greatest, they immedietly jumped to a higher main so the car is great.
For example, a lot of people got the new T2 and say they improved from the FK05.
With all the cars in recent years being high end, I just don't buy this theory.
I will bet that instead of buying the T2, if somebody bought a new FK05 and built it from the ground up, they would improve.
Meaning, not to many people strip the car down and rebuild from the ground up after the initial build. If they did, replacing worn parts as they go, they probably would improve without the latest and greatest.
I'm not saying newer cars don't have better features and will improve your skills, but if somebody jumped from the C and D main up to the A main, I really don't see a car doing that.
I'm strictly talking about going from a current High End to High End.
Not, for instance, going from a Tamiya TT-01 to an Xray T2.
Any thoughts?
believe it. I proved that theory at the Stockton carpet track. Went from B-main to a second off TQ with the new MI2EC The regular MI2 had a new chassis, shock towers, and plastics, etc.... So I can honestly say that the design of the new car did put me in the show
Old 04-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

well im going the other way, i was qualifying about half way up the B and then i spent abit of money and time on my pro4 rather than getting the cyclone which was what i originally thought to do...
I now make the A quite regulary and my car is so much better than before!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:11 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by koabich
I have been in the habbit of rebuilding my cars from the ground up after each day at the track since day one. It started out for no other reason than me being anal but as I got better I found out this is really the only way to make sure that your car is at peak performance at all times. How else do you catch bent hinge pins or aluminum bulkheads, cracked plastic parts, worn bearings, etc?

That is what PC9840 used to do for all our club meets, and because of that he would beat everyone with whatever brand of car he was running. He would get bored with some car that he was winning with and then try different kinds.

Cmotif <><
Old 04-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
believe it. I proved that theory at the Stockton carpet track. Went from B-main to a second off TQ with the new MI2EC The regular MI2 had a new chassis, shock towers, and plastics, etc.... So I can honestly say that the design of the new car did put me in the show
Originally Posted by cyclone
well im going the other way, i was qualifying about half way up the B and then i spent abit of money and time on my pro4 rather than getting the cyclone which was what i originally thought to do...
I now make the A quite regulary and my car is so much better than before!
Like I said, I'm not saying some cars have better features that will not improve your skills.
You both went from the mid B Main to the A main.
That is reasonable.
Especially if your going from a shaft to a belt in Cyclones case.
My problem was with people saying that their skills where increased three fold as they went from the D to the A.
Especially those people who said they owned the FK05 and were making the C and D main regulary and then got the T2 and "Viola" they constantly make the A Main. The FK05 was not that bad that it was keeping you in the celler.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

IT IS ALL MENTAL!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Everything that I'm seeing here is a very valid point. But one other thing you have to consider is the placebo effect of having a brand new car. Even if your "old" car was perfect and rebuilt after every race, when you have a bright, shiny new car to plop down on the track, your confidence level and attitude are often much better than before causing you to drive smoother and make fewer mistakes. At a club racing level, this factor alone can take you from the C to the A in one week's time.

Tony
Old 04-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tc4kid191
IT IS ALL MENTAL!!!
Exactly, an guy at my local track has run just about every car on the market in the last few years, and has won with all of them. The car does not make the difference 99% of the time, its the DRIVING and MAINTENANCE that makes the difference.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You must be talking about Andy.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kropy
You must be talking about Andy.
Yup!
Old 04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

How about this, I'm running a over 3yr old tc3 and out of all the cars ive owned ive never been faster. only tc3 at the Novak race to do fast laps(Amain times) consistant... if that means anything.. all mental i think, i dont see spending $500 on a car is worth it anymore. i love my tc3. we should all go back to the tc3 haha, ok im done.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

You also have to take into account that different cars react different. Just because the T2 is the newest car, doesn't mean it's the best car for YOU. I couldn't stand the FK05, loved the RDX and now I'm happy with the T2. Not any faster than I was with the Corally, just different. If the car doesn't feel right to you, then it doesn't matter how many upgrades you buy. You can also tune yourself out of "the setup". One of our locals chased the perfect setup for months. Finally bought a new car (same car, just new). Built it as per the manual with the factory settings and it was spot on. He never thought to go back to those settings with the older car. So I'll agree that the driver has to wheel the thing, but in some cases, it doesn't matter what maintenance you do to the car. If the car's design doesn't suit your driving style, then it is slowing you down and you need to find something else.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Manufacturers could help if they sold 'service packs' for their cars, rather than letting the driver try to work out what has worn out, or what is about to need replacing...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

The other major thing to keep in mind its very much to do with the mind and ego..

Not to many guys are willing to admit that after dumping 400$ on there new sedan that it sucks,runs the same or worse runs slower... Most of the time at our club i see guys actually going backwards because they have to re-learn how to set up the new car.. Most of the time though you get a confidence boost and maybe you get more consistant. But for the most part a fast guy is always fast and a slow guy is usually slow. If your with a club long enough you know who is fast and not regardless of latest or greatest chassis being run

Hey im guilty of this, it took me months to finally admit to my self and others that the HPI PRO3 was not a better car then my PRO2 was(this is a rare instance where the car actually did suck so hard that it got discontinued) but you get my point right? I had dumped hard earned money into it and to me it actually felt faster and i was in new car love....
Old 04-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by semper
Manufacturers could help if they sold 'service packs' for their cars, rather than letting the driver try to work out what has worn out, or what is about to need replacing...

VERY GOOD POINT! The airplane guys get these deals. I know that there is such thing as a CRASH PACK for the heli guys, it consists of the most likely parts to break in a crash at a good price..

A car service pack would be good, but only if they could offer it at lower prices. Like a kit containing the following:Call it an overhaul kit
-hingpin set
-fresh bearings
-fresh ball cups and ball ends
-diff rebuild kit
-front bumper kit

The above would revitilize most cars to near new condition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.