Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya tb03 help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tamiya tb03 help

I just got my first tb03 and love it now I'm finding out it's discontinued and parts starting to dry up. My question is does anyone know if the diff halves left and right from any of the other platforms like the ta05 can be fit with a little modification BC these s parts tree or diff halves look identical.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

TA05 parts cannot be used, TB diff is more offset to side. TB04 and TB-Evo6 use same diff case, so you can use lot of drivetrain parts. Only big difference is internal gear ratio, TB04 has 2.6, TB03 2.4, so if you use TB04 diff gears, you have to use them on both ends.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Papi
TA05 parts cannot be used, TB diff is more offset to side. TB04 and TB-Evo6 use same diff case, so you can use lot of drivetrain parts. Only big difference is internal gear ratio, TB04 has 2.6, TB03 2.4, so if you use TB04 diff gears, you have to use them on both ends.
OK one more question if I use the tbo4 or Evo 6 diff joints can I use the tb03 prop shaft pinions with those diff gears or do I need to replace my pilot shaft pinions as well?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rcaddicted85
OK one more question if I use the tbo4 or Evo 6 diff joints can I use the tb03 prop shaft pinions with those diff gears or do I need to replace my pilot shaft pinions as well?
If you mean those small bevels, no, you have to change them, too. Bevel gears are always paired.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The tb04 ball diff (#54522) should drop right in. It comes with a 40t ring gear so make sure you use it front and back or maybe try the tb03 ring gears on it.

I too just bought a tb03 (had one 5 years ago and missed it), you only need to buy the parts are unique to the 03 since a lot of parts are shared with the tb04
Old 09-01-2017, 04:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TB03Racer09
The tb04 ball diff (#54522) should drop right in. It comes with a 40t ring gear so make sure you use it front and back or maybe try the tb03 ring gears on it.

I too just bought a tb03 (had one 5 years ago and missed it), you only need to buy the parts are unique to the 03 since a lot of parts are shared with the tb04
I d t have the carbon bridge yet and my car favors a slight right curve when full throttle, everything is set perfect, links , saver, servo centered all that it only does it on full throttle and it isn't torque steer bc its a brushed 23t. Any ideas? Could this just be the slop from the plastic bridge?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

I d t have the carbon bridge yet and my car favors a slight right curve when full throttle, everything is set perfect, links , saver, servo centered all that it only does it on full throttle and it isn't torque steer bc its a brushed 23t. Any ideas? Could this just be the slop from the plastic bridge?
Even brushed 23t can cause torque steer. Don't forget most of its weight is in rotor.

Problem of TB03 steering is, that bridge doesnt have bearings, making large play in right steering arm. That causes toe change on right wheel, which can cause uneven steering.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Could also be uneven weight distribution on the shocks. Try adding a touch more preload adjustment to the rear left shock.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Could also be uneven weight distribution on the shocks. Try adding a touch more preload adjustment to the rear left shock.
never thought of that, ima play around with that n I'll let you know.I did find the carbon bridge online which should help the aluminum arms get the majority of slop out just gotta wait for shipping
Old 09-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just got my first tb03 and love it now I'm finding out it's discontinued and parts starting to dry up. My question is does anyone know if the diff halves left and right from any of the other platforms like the ta05 can be fit with a little modification BC these s parts tree or diff halves look identical.
spec-r makes a gear diff for the TB-03

Gear Differential Set (For Tamiya TB-03) [SPR009-TB] - $30.30 : Spec-R, The Professional Accessories for R/C
Old 09-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Hey dude that did the trick , but honestly my springs were way to soft in general so I put hard springs on with a hair size clip on the one spring and it tracks straight as an arrow thnx. Now if I could find all the upgrades I still need to finish the car out....So upset it's discontinued, I bet in Japan though you can still find the stuff easily.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rcmart has a lot of tb03 hop ups heavily discounted. The rest you can get on Ebay from Hong Kong and Japanese sellers.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TB03Racer09
rcmart has a lot of tb03 hop ups heavily discounted. The rest you can get on Ebay from Hong Kong and Japanese sellers.
I'm always so skeptical of overseas eBay sellers burning you, have you bought stuff like that bf? I really want a car rein chassis bad and your right I checked and there is a ton on there
Old 09-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm always so skeptical of overseas eBay sellers burning you, have you bought stuff like that bf? I really want a car rein chassis bad and your right I checked and there is a ton on there
Also what offset the 03 use and what tire compound is durable for bashing?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

i've ordered a bunch of upgrades for different cars from overseas ebay sellers and there is no reason to worry so long as you check out their seller history first. If it's good then generally there is no worry. Just make sure wherever you buy from has shipping costs listed before you commit to the purchase.