Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!! >

Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

Oops, sorry. Marcos is right. I always get that confused.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jw92656
Oops, sorry. Marcos is right. I always get that confused.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Thanck you for the advice jw92656.
What about using Monster Horspower Stock motor with that 22T pinion gear?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

Final drive gearing depends on the track layout. A good rule of thumb to use would be to take the longest straight on the track and divide it into 3rds. By the last third of the track your motor should be topped out. Check your lap times, now go down one tooth on the pinion and check your times, then go up one tooth on the pinion. What this will sort out is the optimal gearing for the technical sections. Just try to be consistant, I usually run one pack to get confortable to the layout. Then one pack to find top end, and 1/2 pack for each one tooth adjustment. Seems to do the trick for me. :-)
Old 04-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Right, when dealing with gearing, we can only advise a bit, but we can't really give you an ideal ratio(because there isn't one). In truth, the best people to ask about gearing a given motor for one track, are the guys who race there regularly, because every track layout puts different demands on a motor, so they'll have to be geared differently. Given that your track appears to be of significant size, though(from what I could see in the pics), if I were to try my luck there for the first time without having to option to ask someone how they gear a given motor, I'd likely start with a Monster somewhere around a 7.8 to 1 final drive ratio. However, since I don't own a TA05 for myself, I don't know if that 22 tooth pinin you have will do it, don't know what your car's outdrive ratio is(to get a final drive ratio, you take the number of teeth in the spur gear divided by the teeth in the pinion, & multiply by the outdrive ratio of the car, so in a case like my FT TC4 that has an outdrive ratio of 2.5, to get a 7.8:1 FDR I'd need a 100 tooth spur & a 32 tooth pinion{100 divided by 32 times 2.5 is about 7.82, close enough}). & then I'd practice some & adjust from there. But again, by far the best source of info for your track is the guys who race there, I'd ask them first to get an idea of what ratios you'll need to work with....
Old 04-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

On saturday I took it first time to the track In Frederick at Hobby Town.
Here is the latest Pictures of my TA-05
Attached Thumbnails Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0416aqc.jpg   Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0413ad.jpg   Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0413ag.jpg   Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0413ah.jpg   Need tips on choosing and breaking in new motors!!!-2006_0413ai.jpg