Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sedan: rubber v foam

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Of course, at the rate that TC turnouts are dropping, we may not have to worry about it too much longer.
why are TC racers dropping out?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Ahhh, another rubber vs. FOAM thread. I for one, greatly prefer FOAM to rubber, for several reasons. 1. It's far easier for NEWBIES to get FOAM cars around the track, and therefore they don't burn-out as fast as they do sliding their sport tc around on rubber tires. 2. FOAM is just as hard to set-up as Rubber, you're just working in the opposite direction. 3. I don't like the ridiculously open layouts that rubber tire racing requires. Tight technical tracks are now FROWNED upon at major events, because it's too hard to limp the traction deprived Rubber cars around a good tight layout.

Of course, at the rate that TC turnouts are dropping, we may not have to worry about it too much longer.
Well there's a nice positive outlook (satement). Way to help keep the moral up.

Lets just race!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edseb
Become more popular yes, take over, never. Foam on carpet is too fun.
Heyyyyyy. My Steaks grayyyyyy.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ahhh, another rubber vs. FOAM thread. I for one, greatly prefer FOAM to rubber, for several reasons. 1. It's far easier for NEWBIES to get FOAM cars around the track, and therefore they don't burn-out as fast as they do sliding their sport tc around on rubber tires. 2. FOAM is just as hard to set-up as Rubber, you're just working in the opposite direction. 3. I don't like the ridiculously open layouts that rubber tire racing requires. Tight technical tracks are now FROWNED upon at major events, because it's too hard to limp the traction deprived Rubber cars around a good tight layout.

Spoken like a true 1/12th scaler.

Brushless rubber tire is fun thou... I ran through 2 sets of the entire weekend of the Novak Race..... and one motor.

An additional reason why tight technical layouts are frowned apon at major races is the all out speed of 6 cell mod period. when you get 10 ruys going that fast into a 180..... somethings going to happen. That's ture no matter what tires they have on.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

+1 for rubber tire on carpet if I'm given a choice. The 17.5 has made it a lot more fun. We used to run 10.5, it just blew the tires off. I'm starting to tinker with foam a little more. It's fun too. I just like racing the big cars on carpet either way you slice it.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Well there's a nice positive outlook (satement). Way to help keep the moral up.

Lets just race!
That's my entire point, the whole class has become so diluted, with rubber/foam, stock/19t/Mod. It's starting to die out. Rather than trying to convert everyone, why not just race what they run at your track.

And Beavis: You're damn right!! 12th scale 4 life!!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

That's my entire point, the whole class has become so diluted, with rubber/foam, stock/19t/Mod. It's starting to die out. Rather than trying to convert everyone, why not just race what they run at your track.

And Beavis: You're damn right!! 12th scale 4 life!!
at my track foam is starting to die out and rubber is taking over. most racers switching to rubber say foam is too expensive to run these days (on sedans) along wiht the hassle of truing and having to re-adjsut setup every round. do agree that classes are being dilluted.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MACHFIVE
at my track foam is starting to die out and rubber is taking over. most racers switching to rubber say foam is too expensive to run these days (on sedans) along wiht the hassle of truing and having to re-adjsut setup every round. do agree that classes are being dilluted.
How's total turnout though? We need to get back to whatever formula brought on the peak era of TC. Remember when a decent TC was $200 or so? Rubber or foam, TC is getting way too expensive. $400+ for a chassis with a 12 month life cycle?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Our track has started allowing rubber tires this year and we have a much bigger turn out than last year. As far as the speed of rubber vs. foam, we don't even notice the "slower" speeds because no one is running foam. I'm sure we would be faster with foam tires, but we're having a great time playing with setup and not listening to lathes running all day long. And I haven't had to walk around the track looking for the chunk that flew off of my tire.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The whole "foam is faster" thing is extremely arbitrary. You slow down more for the turns, true, but you're still driving fairly strapped on the straights, and out of the turns. Rubber never, ever feels slow. In fact, it's a much more intense driving experience because you have to really drive the car, and be mindful now to allow it to step out if you're too aggressive. Comparing lap times between the two is kind of pointless, it's really apples and oranges.

Anyway, there's benefits of each, and this subject has been rehashed a hundred times. Run what you prefer and enjoy the most. If you run out of people to race with, run what everybody else runs.

I think many of you would be surprised how many "big names" in foam tire racing would say they think foam is dying. A majority of guys running foam at big races have tire sponsors. That's no coincidence.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

sweet, the monthly foam vs rubber thread! for what it's worth, the TC class with the most signups so far for the carpet nats is 13.5 rubber.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
sweet, the monthly foam vs rubber thread! .
What car should I buy for rubber tires? And who makes the fastest motors and batteries?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Its the least we can do.

I am not in any way intentionally singling anyone out, but Id like to throw the following out there.

As redundant as it may be at times to see new versions of the same ol threads on what seems to be a near monthly basis, we as "veterans" of this sport should be thrilled to see this sparkle of new interest (new racers).

I mean how many threads have we seen about declining interest and closing tracks? Wanna see those threads diminish? If so, embrace these people and their questions.

I am of the opinion that on-road and oval are easily the most intimidating forms of racing to get into. So why, if we love this form and want it to flourish, should we do anything less than go out of our way to embrace these threads. Or if that just cant be mustered saying nothing would work as well.

Again Im not trying to take shots at anyone in particular, I just hate to see posts on here (an incredible tool) that do anything less than grow our sport.

Lets Race!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

im not opposed to either, i love the sport of rc racing and i injoy both rubber and foam tire racing and enjoy racing both classes. i hope it doesnt come down to being forced into running one or the other if the other dies out. i prefer foam but i do enjoy rubber tire . i think if foams did die out i would probably just run 1/12th scale and nitro touring.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

What are you talking about Rosko? As long as I show up at our track there will always be some foam racing! I got a rubber car, a foam car and a 12scale. Just bring it! BTW, My nitro car is pretty good too!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.