Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sedan: rubber v foam

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Darren, I agree foam will never die. But I dont know that its b/c it is faster. Mod is faster then stock but you dont see a lot of people wanting to race mod. I think some people just enjoy foam tires (probably the same people that enjoy brushed motors and nimh batteries)
Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MasterD
I also don't think that foam will ever "die" even with the current increase in rubber tire racing. IMHO as long as the foam cars are putting up better lap times rubber tires will be the "little brother" of racing. It does seem like alot of fun though and it's a blast to watch. Some of the cars almost seem "driftish" which is pretty cool.
Outside of our little bubble in the US, foam tire is the little brother. Sedans are designed for rubber tires, the foam thing is almost exclusively a US/Canada trend that's been bolted on.

If the cars look loose or drifty, it's because they're not setup right, or the person is trying to drive it like a foam car.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Lord

I bet the foam tire, 27T brush stock, NiMH class is going to be really popular in a few years... as the vintage class.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 AM
mep
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I prefer rubber on carpet too, just seems like more justified competition. Besides the excess grip however, the other nice benefit of foam tires is the low weight, which makes acceleration very snappy... all other aspects provided a headache for me(cost, the mess of shaving tires, occasional broken rim).
Tech Adept

rubber tire racing is closer to real racing than foam racing.
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Rubber vs. Foam....

Doesn't really matter.

I guess, if I'm talking rubber tire on asphalt, I prefer rubber tire best. But if I was comparing foam tire racing to rubber tire racing on carpet, then I guess I like foam better. For me, foam tire racing is just more fun on carpet, and rubber is more fun on asphalt. Rubber tire racing on carpet to me is like handicaping yourself, just for the sake of doing it. And racing foams outside is something reserved for nitro. So again, for me it doesn't really matter which tire. Its just a matter of which tire being run where...

Skills wise, I don't see the difference. The same people fast on foam will be fast on rubber.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mep
I prefer rubber on carpet too, just seems like more justified competition. Besides the excess grip however, the other nice benefit of foam tires is the low weight, which makes acceleration very snappy... all other aspects provided a headache for me(cost, the mess of shaving tires, occasional broken rim).
agree racing is much closer too
Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Initiate

I wonder what it would be like if the two were mixed.....rubber up front and foam on the back.....just thinking out loud

anyway, yeah I dig the rubber tire class at the track and I hope it continues to grow. I'll have to let the guys driving the "driftish" cars that there cars are set up wrong, or they are trying to drive the car like it has foams......
Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I wonder what it would be like if the two were mixed.....rubber up front and foam on the back.....just thinking out loud

anyway, yeah I dig the rubber tire class at the track and I hope it continues to grow. I'll have to let the guys driving the "driftish" cars that there cars are set up wrong, or they are trying to drive the car like it has foams......
I was drifting at the other track this past weekend due to lack of traction (and not wanting to change my setup from what worked at Tri-State). It was actually a lot of fun. They might just enjoy the drifting
Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

In my area its all Foam, and thats all I've ever run in Touring Car (minus a couple TCS races). But I personally think we should run rubber tire across the board, why must North America always be so different from the rest of the world?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

it would push like crazy
Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RobS
In my area its all Foam, and thats all I've ever run in Touring Car (minus a couple TCS races). But I personally think we should run rubber tire across the board, why must North America always be so different from the rest of the world?
Not different....BETTER!!! J/K...

I've never raced foams and really only race Mini's so...and rubber tires are all that's allowed and all I really care about. Race what you want as long as there's a class for it.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Lord

I forgot to say, only if it's spec rubber tire. Open rubber tire? Screw that, I'd rather suffer with foams.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I forgot to say, only if it's spec rubber tire. Open rubber tire? Screw that, I'd rather suffer with foams.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ahhh, another rubber vs. FOAM thread. I for one, greatly prefer FOAM to rubber, for several reasons. 1. It's far easier for NEWBIES to get FOAM cars around the track, and therefore they don't burn-out as fast as they do sliding their sport tc around on rubber tires. 2. FOAM is just as hard to set-up as Rubber, you're just working in the opposite direction. 3. I don't like the ridiculously open layouts that rubber tire racing requires. Tight technical tracks are now FROWNED upon at major events, because it's too hard to limp the traction deprived Rubber cars around a good tight layout.

Of course, at the rate that TC turnouts are dropping, we may not have to worry about it too much longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.